Default How will the U.P handle the coming influx

was hoping maybe a business owner could chime in on this, heard on the news this morning that they will be requiring bars, restaurants in the area to have a plan submitted to safely be able to conduct business as the weather changes and people will be forced to move indoors and away from outside dining or seating, they also said that it is expected that another 30% of bars and restaurants will not survive the winter because of the loss of ability to have outdoor patios as indoor seating will be limited based on guidelines. My question is does Michigan have the same plan in place and what are thoughts on how the U.P. establishments will handle this or be able to as we all know how busy places become during the snowmobile season, weekends are elbow to elbow at some places. I just hope all of these places will be allowed to conduct business and survive. I can just see the media or the governor turning this into another Sturgis conspiracy. Thoughts?

Election will be long over by then and though regardless of the outcome it should be strongly moving towards WFO status...

Buddy always has a hot thermos with him and we always wave him off saying we’re good. This year could be different with saddle bag meals. If motels not open it won’t make much difference with no place to stay. Just depends if double whammy hits flu and covid that some are forecasting. I always get a hot flu shot and will get Covid vaccine if available. Those 2 vaccines will be game changers. I’m not an antivaccer so gimmie the shot and I’m good to go. I’m riding if I can and will support whoever is open.

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

Not a business owner but in the Manitowish Waters, WI area (Vilas County) restaurants and bars have definitely scaled back this past summer. Places that have been open all week are not now and they don't have regular hours. With Labor Day come and gone we enter the slow season so it will be very tough for them I think. Sadly, people are still avoiding public places, I think that will go on for some time. We try to support all the business's in our area and they are all very appreciative. I know I don't have to say this to this group but leave them as big of a tip as you can, it's tough right now in the Northwoods for so many of people that work in or own hospitality.

This summer when I stopped in the Parkview on a week day the bar area was elbow to elbow. The motel was sold out. I should qualify this by saying just about all the bar patrons were construction workers who just got off work for the day. For those that don't know, the highway between Houghton and Twin Lakes was repaved this summer so many construction workers were in the area and some were staying at the Parkview. Also the bridges on the Firesteel rivers are being replaced and this project will continue thru 2021. I doubt if work will continue in the dead of winter.

As far as masks go, all the staff at the Parkview had masks on from the desk clerk, to the bartender, and the waitress. None of the bar patrons were wearing masks, but since they were drinking they weren't required. If you go in one of the stores like Walmart you will be required to wear a mask and if you don't you will be approached by someone to tell you to put one on. They won't let you come in without one.

I had several contractors come to my house this summer to give estimates and do work. None of them wore a mask even for the initial meeting with me.

Houghton County had very low covid rates until the Mich Tech students returned. It is now exploding, and on a cases per million basis is probably the worst in MI. If Tech can't get this under control, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shutdown of the bars and restaurants again.
    https://www.mtu.edu/flex/testing/statistics/

https://www.mistartmap.info/?fbclid=...mqn9uAbbc9A36c
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 09-11-2020 at 07:07 PM.

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

As the inflated death numbers continue to plummet.

My one thought is if the bars and restaurants have to run at limited capacity will the patrons be willing to get in warm up have what they need ( food, drink, or what ever) and move on in a timely manner so it can open up space for next group or person to get in! And will people working be willing to ask patrons to take there break and move on or just keep feeding the one that’s already there. But we as snowmobilers have to try to share space as others may be needing to get in and warm up.

Just stay out of the U.P. and stay home where you belong. Houghton county is bad right now and it's not because of us it's because of you, your kids need of an education and your need to be a part of something you aren't.

Harsh but honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandylake View Post
    Just stay out of the U.P. and stay home where you belong. Houghton county is bad right now and it's not because of us it's because of you, your kids need of an education and your need to be a part of something you aren't.

Harsh but honest.
    Who is this you and your you are talking about?

Wow.
    ....Well maybe I can apply for a "covid pass" if I already had it. Lol. If any of y'all see me coughing or sweating in bar UP there don't worry it's just the seasonal flu.......lmao........you just can't make this stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    Who is this you and your you are talking about?
    It's you and that's all you need to understand.

I certainly do not speak for everyone because there are a lot of places that rely on tourism and weekend warrior wannabes ditch banging FIB/FWB's for their livelihoods but I am not one of those people. I don't make a red penny off of YOU, ever have, ever will, so YOU just don't matter to me.

Yeah, sure, a lot of places need your dollar but if a person doesn't have their good health money doesn't matter.

Find something to do in Pleasant Praire where you reside, there must be plenty of fun and exciting things to do there, right? Think of it like a "staycation" then you can be just like me, living working and playing where YOU hang YOUR hat.

Agree. Stay home until there is an effective, safe vaccine available.

We don’t want you in the Keewenaw, and don’t need you bringing and transmitting mod virus here.

It's you and that's all you need to understand.

I certainly do not speak for everyone because there are a lot of places that rely on tourism and weekend warrior wannabes ditch banging FIB/FWB's for their livelihoods but I am not one of those people. I don't make a red penny off of YOU, ever have, ever will, so YOU just don't matter to me.

Yeah, sure, a lot of places need your dollar but if a person doesn't have their good health money doesn't matter.

Find something to do in Pleasant Praire where you reside, there must be plenty of fun and exciting things to do there, right? Think of it like a "staycation" then you can be just like me, living working and playing where YOU hang YOUR hat.

So your saying that the Houghton Hancock area would be a thriving metropolis without MTU and the tourism dollar coming in? As you said you haven’t made a dollar off tourism but I would bet most of the places you go and shop at and support you need some of this income to live or they would be out of business and you would have no place to go so then you would be out of business. Evil cycle we live in but to think an area can survive without everyone working together is just impossible. And as a side note I now live full time in the UP have sense March but have owned a place in UP for 16 years. So I do understand how the UP works and not just as a weekend warrior.

So your saying that the Houghton Hancock area would be a thriving metropolis without MTU and the tourism dollar coming in? As you said you haven’t made a dollar off tourism but I would bet most of the places you go and shop at and support you need some of this income to live or they would be out of business and you would have no place to go so then you would be out of business. Evil cycle we live in but to think an area can survive without everyone working together is just impossible. And as a side note I now live full time in the UP have sense March but have owned a place in UP for 16 years. So I do understand how the UP works and not just as a weekend warrior.
    Dammit goofy600, see what "YOU" did? "YOU" went and ruined it for everyone! I hope "YOU" are real proud of "YOURSELF" ! OMG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    Dammit goofy600, see what "YOU" did? "YOU" went and ruined it for everyone! I hope "YOU" are real proud of "YOURSELF" ! OMG!!!
    Sorry my fault I killed the UP. Lol if she only knew where pleasant prairie was she would know of the evil playground I grew up in.

A thriving metropolis? I do not want that.

Somehow people in rural and remote areas survive without Walmart or megasupermarkets.

And I don't mind someone like you....maybe.... moving here. Lots of fine people everywhere, lots of turds too, heck maybe I am one because I sure come off as one here! But I like what I like and love it here. I'm of the conform or be cast out yooper mindset and a lot of what I see coming I do not want and they should just turn around and go back.

A guy from Illinois just bought a place about a mile from me, I haven't met a he guy but he has plans on living here. I talked to a contractor that bid on some work from him and he said he seems kinda like he wants to keep to himself. Sounds like my kinda guy. But he's gonna have a rough go of it, his place is in a hole with a very long and twisted road that he is going to have to keep open. Ripping a sled around here and actually being able to handle the snow during an average winter here is another beast altogether. I don't even bother trying to keep my 1/2 mile road open, I snowshoe in grab my Tundra and use it to get all my stuff in and out.

And as far as the University goes, again, don't care. I've got my piece of paper and while it was fun it seems like I could have spent my time more wisely. Universities have become melting pots for liberal thinking in a governmental system so broken already I don't even waste my time watching it all fail. Vote for crap with corn or crap with peanuts when it's so easy to just avoid it but keep on being a sheeple and think your vote will matter
    I have seen all kinds of systems and parties in control and it's all the same load of crap.

Seems like SandLake needs a Snickers, getting a littly cranky??? I cant wait for our back pack trip, we are actually coming to Hancock area in January and Im bring the whole f*cking group with me.

Only one person can shutdown the winter in the UP and that’s Whitmer and I wouldn’t put it pass her to do it. If grooming funds are withheld trail riders are screwed. I plan on putting on big miles in UP if possible otherwise northern WI gets my business. It would be tragic for UP biz to miss a winter season but all up to Whitmer imo.

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Buddy always has a hot thermos with him and we always wave him off saying were good. This year could be different with saddle bag meals. If motels not open it wont make much difference with no place to stay. Just depends if double whammy hits flu and covid that some are forecasting. I always get a hot flu shot and will get Covid vaccine if available. Those 2 vaccines will be game changers. Im not an antivaccer so gimmie the shot and Im good to go. Im riding if I can and will support whoever is open.

the hot chocolate in that hot thermos is oh so good.

Quote Originally Posted by hudson056 View Post
    Seems like SandLake needs a Snickers, getting a littly cranky??? I cant wait for our back pack trip, we are actually coming to Hancock area in January and Im bring the whole f*cking group with me.
    I know I come across like that but I'm known for being a pretty jovial guy.

I'm also not going to blow smoke up someone's tail and tell them what they want to hear, it's not fair to you and it's not fair to anyone including me.

I'm going to take a shot and say that when full restrictions go into place this winter you won't be going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    the hot chocolate in that hot thermos is oh so good.
    Just thinking out loud but could be the season C becomes camp cook for all of us. We’re riding but we do need food inside or out and all of us have huge saddlebags. I’m at a disadvantage in a motel so willing to chip in for Cfood. Lol

MRE's and they aren't bad!

A thriving metropolis? I do not want that.

Somehow people in rural and remote areas survive without Walmart or megasupermarkets.
    But...you have a Walmart in Houghton, just across the bridge from your town.

Just wondering why you are on this forum, if you hate outsiders so much?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    This summer when I stopped in the Parkview on a week day the bar area was elbow to elbow. The motel was sold out. I should qualify this by saying just about all the bar patrons were construction workers who just got off work for the day. For those that don't know, the highway between Houghton and Twin Lakes was repaved this summer so many construction workers were in the area and some were staying at the Parkview. Also the bridges on the Firesteel rivers are being replaced and this project will continue thru 2021. I doubt if work will continue in the dead of winter.

As far as masks go, all the staff at the Parkview had masks on from the desk clerk, to the bartender, and the waitress. None of the bar patrons were wearing masks, but since they were drinking they weren't required. If you go in one of the stores like Walmart you will be required to wear a mask and if you don't you will be approached by someone to tell you to put one on. They won't let you come in without one.

I had several contractors come to my house this summer to give estimates and do work. None of them wore a mask even for the initial meeting with me.

Houghton County had very low covid rates until the Mich Tech students returned. It is now exploding, and on a cases per million basis is probably the worst in MI. If Tech can't get this under control, I wouldn't be surprised to see a shutdown of the bars and restaurants again.
    https://www.mtu.edu/flex/testing/statistics/

https://www.mistartmap.info/?fbclid=...mqn9uAbbc9A36c
    There is nowhere in this country that you can hide from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, unless you buy a cabin in the mountains and NEVER speak to another human. Trying to hide is only delaying the inevitable, and blaming "returning students" is retarded. Blame the Chinese, who released this virus on the world.

Just thinking out loud but could be the season C becomes camp cook for all of us. Were riding but we do need food inside or out and all of us have huge saddlebags. Im at a disadvantage in a motel so willing to chip in for Cfood. Lol

You Won't be disappointed.

I see that Mr. Sandylake is at it again, watch out ..... he gave me a good horse whipping a few months ago LOL

- - - Updated - - -

MREs Give me a good memory a couple decades ago, the wife and I were snowmobiling out in the middle of nowhere and stopped and had an MRE meal on the trail. wasnt too bad and what is used to heat it keeps you warm also

You Won't be disappointed.
    JACKPOT!!! Beautiful and she can cook too!

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    But...you have a Walmart in Houghton, just across the bridge from your town.

Just wondering why you are on this forum, if you hate outsiders so much?

- - - Updated - - -

There is nowhere in this country that you can hide from the SARS-CoV-2 virus, unless you buy a cabin in the mountains and NEVER speak to another human. Trying to hide is only delaying the inevitable, and blaming "returning students" is retarded. Blame the Chinese, who released this virus on the world.
    I dont hate outsiders very much.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I see that Mr. Sandylake is at it again, watch out ..... he gave me a good horse whipping a few months ago LOL

- - - Updated - - -

MRE’s Give me a good memory a couple decades ago, the wife and I were snowmobiling out in the middle of nowhere and stopped and had an MRE meal on the trail. wasn’t too bad and what is used to heat it keeps you warm also
    I saw this YouTube video of this kid Zak that was racing around the suburbs in Illinois, can brapping and everything, you should try that.

JACKPOT!!! Beautiful and she can cook too!
    Alright you guys gotta fill me in on the cfood stuff. What am I missing?

I dont hate outsiders very much.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw this YouTube video of this kid Zak that was racing around the suburbs in Illinois, can brapping and everything, you should try that.
    I haven’t written my snowmobile in Illinois for years, that’s why I go the UP for, next time I’m around Sandy lake I’ll make sure I give a good brap brap....just kidding my friend....My ace 900 is as quiet as a church mouse

Harsh but honest.
    Comedy! Stay out of the U.P. Gawd that's a good one.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Alright you guys gotta fill me in on the cfood stuff. What am I missing?

C is my wife Claudia. She loves to cook and with restaurants potentially being closed WD is thinking maybe we should rely on her cooking instead of something on the trail...WD do I have that correct?

I like making breakfast for the crew but if I can't grill it I have a hard time cooking it. But if thats what it comes to just to ride I will bring frozen crock pot meals or something. I just think we will forget about this virus after the election...

C is my wife Claudia. She loves to cook and with restaurants potentially being closed WD is thinking maybe we should rely on her cooking instead of something on the trail...WD do I have that correct?
    If bar/girls are closed we will have to prepare trail food ourselves so I was looking into Uncrustables ready made sandwiches. Better than nothing then I thought Claudia loves to cook so why not chip in for some sub sandwich meats and ask Claudia to make the crew sandwiches? I’m not into a a sterno stove on the trail to heat water for other options so realistic options on the trail came down to Uncrustables or homemade sammys. I’ll have to deal with supper on my own somehow from motel that’s on me. I’m looking ahead just the way I am if restaurants are closed because I’m riding no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I haven’t written my snowmobile in Illinois for years, that’s why I go the UP for, next time I’m around Sandy lake I’ll make sure I give a good brap brap....just kidding my friend....My ace 900 is as quiet as a church mouse
    My Tundras are pretty quiet too....my sons sled has one of those obnoxious GGB cans on it but he really never trail rides....dang 17 year old punk.

I scare you tourists when I ride my vintage Tundra, i wear a old red CCM hockey helmet and a black, torn up, duct taped, Refrigerawear mono suit. It gives you tourists something to talk about and paints a good Yooper picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Comedy! Stay out of the U.P. Gawd that's a good one.
    I bet they'll shut the state down again this winter when everything peaks.

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

If bar/girls are closed
    The "bar girls" are closed? You're talking Hurley, WI?

Couple tings dare sandylake....like where were your concerns 30 years ago when the same flu was around then also? Your clueless if you think this has just came on the scene....heres the list of countries that ordered the test kit....look at the year it was ordered....then go search older years and see if the covid 19 test kit was sent out then also....then scratch yer walnut and ask the question....how could they send out a test kit for something that wasn't discovered for another 2 years.....then ask yourself was lincoln a republican or a Democrat.....did a light bulb go off yet...even a tiny 1/4 watt bulb??? And this isn't an attack on you....just learning you sumtin.....maybe....unless your to thick....theres more too ....google did fauci fund the wuhan lab for 20 years....then ask yourself....of all the labs in china....1000s....he funded wuhan? Coincidence? So basically your afraid of nothing....you have been around covid for 50 years....so don't spew your fake concern...because its all fabricated....please...were alot smarter than that

Screenshot_20200908-103054_Chrome.jpg

Ha Tracker not debating this just have a question. Isn’t the 19 after COVID stand for the year 2019?, because I believe that is that is what they have said? If so how in 2017 did they have COVID 19 kits available? Wouldn’t they have to be COVID 17 kits? Not doubting you but not everything you read on the internet is true. Bonjour!

I believe that 19 stands for the 19th variation of the virus, it has been around a loooong time

Creative
    Medical Diagnostic Test instruments and apparatus
    https://wits.worldbank.org/trade/com...product/902780

My Tundras are pretty quiet too....my sons sled has one of those obnoxious GGB cans on it but he really never trail rides....dang 17 year old punk.

I scare you tourists when I ride my vintage Tundra, i wear a old red CCM hockey helmet and a black, torn up, duct taped, Refrigerawear mono suit. It gives you tourists something to talk about and paints a good Yooper picture.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet they'll shut the state down again this winter when everything peaks.
    Well, I had no issues driving from Sconny to Twin Lakes toward the end of April during the first "shut down", and I don't forsee any issues this coming winter. Unless of course you think the state patrol is just going to park units at every spot along the Sconny/U.P. border?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Well, I had no issues driving from Sconny to Twin Lakes toward the end of April during the first "shut down", and I don't forsee any issues this coming winter. Unless of course you think the state patrol is just going to park units at every spot along the Sconny/U.P. border?
    Not the UP, but did many trips between MN and Sconnie myself, didn't let any "shut down" stop me from traveling. It was actually pretty fun, nobody on the roads for 8-10 miles at a time sometimes!

One of my riding buds always jokes about having to stay in a "Snow Cave" - Just may have to give that a try this winter! There are plenty of shelters along the state trails in MN where a fire would keep you plenty warm, as long as its not -20! All kidding aside, I know of a few places that already said they will be open for reservations to stay throughout the winter. And my buddy's trailer we stay in is looking better every day!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
    I believe that 19 stands for the 19th variation of the virus, it has been around a loooong time
    Here is how covid-19 got its name.
    https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...t%20illnesses.

New cases at record, right after labor day weekend holiday.....HOW PREDICTABLE!! What a joke!!

I don't blame the returning students. If they are asymptomatic they won't even know they have it. I do blame Mich Tech for not testing all the returning students. They only tested about one seventh of the students. On the other hand, Northern Mich University tested all the returning students, over 7,000 students.

Tech could have done a better job of clamping down on the fraternities and sororities. Their wild parties are a large part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by jonesin View Post

No, it means 2019, and COVID-19 is the name of the disease caused by the virus, not the virus. The virus is called SARS-CoV-2. SARS-CoV-1 was actively spreading from 2002-2004.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

I don't blame the returning students. If they are asymptomatic they won't even know they have it. I do blame Mich Tech for not testing all the returning students. They only tested about one seventh of the students. On the other hand, Northern Mich University tested all the returning students, over 7,000 students.

Tech could have done a better job of clamping down on the fraternities and sororities. Their wild parties are a large part of the problem.
    You just don't get it do you? It is not a bad thing that all the college kids are getting Covid. It is a good thing. The only way we will be done with it is when everyone has been exposed. They never should have closed any of the schools early last spring. We would have been a lot closer to the end of it by now. Lock up Granny and your fat diabetic uncle Roy and get out there and get infected.

If parties on college campuses are truly a problem then they should not have brought the kids back to school. I see kids all over 15-22 not on college campuses and they are far over wearing a mask while hanging out.

Yeah, MI Tech is such a party school. Revenge of the nerds! LMAO!

I've worked with at least a dozen engineers from Tech. It's not a party school.

Not a party school? Really?

Back when I was there MTU had some kind of dubious award that was about beer consumption per student.

I'm a little young to remember the early 70's but the late 70's and 80's hockey was one huge party, notorious rowdy fans.

...not everyone is a chemical engineer btw.

Back when I was there MTU had some kind of dubious award that was about beer consumption per student.

I'm a little young to remember the early 70's but the late 70's and 80's hockey was one huge party, notorious rowdy fans.

Come no sandylake in college they are all chemical engineers �� lol.

I KNEW you would reply like that. You are so predictable. I never said that MTU students never drink or have parties. I said it's not a party school, and it's not. If you think it is, then you have never actually visited a party school.

I am considered an “essential snowmobiler” and so I am able to travel across state lines....

Ha Tracker not debating this just have a question. Isn’t the 19 after COVID stand for the year 2019?, because I believe that is that is what they have said? If so how in 2017 did they have COVID 19 kits available? Wouldn’t they have to be COVID 17 kits? Not doubting you but not everything you read on the internet is true. Bonjour!
    Yes I know not everything on nets true....but covid was 1st recognized in 1939....its been around since 8BC as far as they know from some mummies....it has morphed since then into what it is today...its just natures way....we all have had it at some point in your life....every winter....fauci who funded the wuhan labs modified it with Chinese approval and the Chinese let it out on their public....to get back at trump in hopes the tarrifs would be recinded....fauci and the dems hoped it would topple trump since the impeachment did not work....they are more evil than you can ever imagine....they have shipped the covid test kits long before 2019....now when you google the world bank test kits 2015 or earlier it says its not true and the date has been adjusted...only that's the media and the democrats that adjusted the dates and now started that untruth....they are out of control IMO....and i am not just saying this either....i work in medical research and have some insight on all this...search fauci funded wuhan labs for 20 years...i mean really...out of all the labs in the world.....he funded wuhan....and that's the 1st citizens it hit...and China is not beyond doing this to their people to do anything to stop the tariffs.....which by the way was a good thing and is working well....does that help?....and what i say is no conspiracy crud either...it is what it is

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker View Post
    Yes I know not everything on nets true....but covid was 1st recognized in 1939....its been around since 8BC as far as they know from some mummies....it has morphed since then into what it is today...its just natures way....we all have had it at some point in your life....every winter....fauci who funded the wuhan labs modified it with Chinese approval and the Chinese let it out on their public....to get back at trump in hopes the tarrifs would be recinded....fauci and the dems hoped it would topple trump since the impeachment did not work....they are more evil than you can ever imagine....they have shipped the covid test kits long before 2019....now when you google the world bank test kits 2015 or earlier it says its not true and the date has been adjusted...only that's the media and the democrats that adjusted the dates and now started that untruth....they are out of control IMO....and i am not just saying this either....i work in medical research and have some insight on all this...search fauci funded wuhan labs for 20 years...i mean really...out of all the labs in the world.....he funded wuhan....and that's the 1st citizens it hit...and China is not beyond doing this to their people to do anything to stop the tariffs.....which by the way was a good thing and is working well....does that help?....and what i say is no conspiracy crud either...it is what it is
    What a bunch of bs.

When I was having freshman orientation at Mich Tech it was announced that the ratio of guys to girls improved from 10:1 to 9:1. This was considered a big deal. The parties had few girls and mostly guys would be drinking. It was at Mich Tech I learned what "dry heaves" were.

Let me tell you, Tech did party, but maybe not in the way you think. On a Friday night come 5:00 p.m. the library on the Tech campus became dead. It was party time. Tech hockey games packed to the rafters at the Dee Stadium. Drinking at the Dog House, Library bar, Diamond Mike's, and trips to Calumet to get 10 cent beers. There was dancing at the Al's Halfway bar between between Houghton and Atlantic Mine on Friday's right after classes. For awhile the min drinking age in Mich was 18 and everyone was drinking.

The teen center was a place for dancing. It was in the Powerhouse building by the bridge. There is where I meet my first girl friend. But whoa to any "TOOT" (Tech Out of Town) who showed up. The locals protected their women from the Tech freshmen. Many fights broke out, and the dances at the Calumet Armory were even worse. Heck, even fights broke out at St Al's dances.

Okay, there wasn't much partying on weekdays, but come weekends we let it lose. Come weekends the Tech campus was pretty dead, but always many off campus parties. Drinking games like "Indian" going on until the wee hours of the morning. And yes, I did graduate from Mich Tech cum laude because during the week I buckled down and studied.

We called this game "Indian" not "Thumper."
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 09-16-2020 at 02:25 AM.

I KNEW you would reply like that. You are so predictable. I never said that MTU students never drink or have parties. I said it's not a party school, and it's not. If you think it is, then you have never actually visited a party school.
    You win then. Good job.

study hard, party hard, thats how i remember my time there

Let me tell you, Tech did party, but maybe not in the way you think.
    Apparently you didn't read my post:
    "I never said that MTU students never drink or have parties. I said it's not a party school, and it's not. If you think it is, then you have never actually visited a party school."

Quote Originally Posted by brad460 View Post
    I am considered an “essential snowmobiler” and so I am able to travel across state lines....
    This! LOL

What a bunch of bs.
    Makes perfect sense though when you think about it from a non lefty point of view. The most overblown over reaction ever to a virus. I got a Benjamin for you if this is still a huge deal after the election.... And as brad460 said I am essential and my snowmobiling group will be "peaceful protesters"....

Apparently you didn't read my post:
    "I never said that MTU students never drink or have parties. I said it's not a party school, and it's not. If you think it is, then you have never actually visited a party school."
    I had a gf that when to MSU, visited her a lot, and I've been to MNU, Bemidji State, UWM, Stout....and I guess a lot of others and they all seemed pretty similar.

What a bunch of bs.
    No bs unfortunately

Look for yourself midwest.....obviously you didn't double check something as important as what I said....heres Newsweek

https://www.newsweek.com/dr-fauci-ba...search-1500741

Dr. Fauci Backed Controversial Wuhan Lab with U.S. Dollars for Risky Coronavirus Research

Dr. Fauci backed funding for controversial Wuhan lab studying origin of coronavirus

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/15562...of-coronavirus

And another

Top US health advisor Dr Fauci backed controversial Wuhan lab for risky coronavirus research: Report

https://m.timesofindia.com/world/us/...rom%20%251%24s

- - - Updated - - -

More....how many you need?

Anthony Fauci should explain '$3.7 million to the Wuhan laboratory'

https://amp.washingtontimes.com/news...on-wuhan-labo/

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    my snowmobiling group will be "peaceful protesters"....
    You beat me to it! That's what I was going to post. LOL

Illinois again talking about quarantine order when travel between Wisconsin and Illinois, and although I do not live in Michigan I strongly disagree with the way the governor handled things through this "pandemic" I am more concerned for the economy of the U.P. more so than my ability to get my one week ride up there this season, I don't live there but would expect it would be very difficult for places to survive without a successful winter season. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the trail funding for the 2021 winter season actually collected in the 2020 season? if this is so Im not quite sure how (as it has been rumored more than once) they can withdraw trail funding other than one reason.... To prevent or curb the mass migration of winter sport enthusiasts. It will be interesting to see what will happen as we approach as one side says we will have vaccine by first of year and the other by summer of 2021, and even with this it could either be or not be the game changer the "pandemic" needs. I for one don't think this is going away after Nov 4th, personally I think we are going to be screwed by the one side whether they get in or not. I just hope for all the local, mom and pop and lodging establishments thet the 2021 winter season in the U.P. will be allowed to function as they want to and not by the control of some off the wall government officials as by not allowing it to could be an even bigger game changer for the U.P. If need be if they cut funding I wonder if us fellow riders can band together to help make up for the shortfall of funding that may be knocking at our door, as besides the ability to ride well groomed and maintained trails, many peoples livelihoods depend on this coming very short season.

Illinois again talking about quarantine order when travel between Wisconsin and Illinois, and although I do not live in Michigan I strongly disagree with the way the governor handled things through this "pandemic" I am more concerned for the economy of the U.P. more so than my ability to get my one week ride up there this season, I don't live there but would expect it would be very difficult for places to survive without a successful winter season. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't the trail funding for the 2021 winter season actually collected in the 2020 season? if this is so Im not quite sure how (as it has been rumored more than once) they can withdraw trail funding other than one reason.... To prevent or curb the mass migration of winter sport enthusiasts. It will be interesting to see what will happen as we approach as one side says we will have vaccine by first of year and the other by summer of 2021, and even with this it could either be or not be the game changer the "pandemic" needs. I for one don't think this is going away after Nov 4th, personally I think we are going to be screwed by the one side whether they get in or not. I just hope for all the local, mom and pop and lodging establishments thet the 2021 winter season in the U.P. will be allowed to function as they want to and not by the control of some off the wall government officials as by not allowing it to could be an even bigger game changer for the U.P. If need be if they cut funding I wonder if us fellow riders can band together to help make up for the shortfall of funding that may be knocking at our door, as besides the ability to ride well groomed and maintained trails, many peoples livelihoods depend on this coming very short season.
    Only Chicago for quarantine. Not the whole state.

Coronaviruses Have Been Around For Centuries: What Differentiates COVID-19?

https://consultqd.clevelandclinic.or...tes-2019-ncov/

Midwest player is being played...how's it feel ?

LMAO

Learn something

Think why it's important not to give up in life

was hoping maybe a business owner could chime in on this, heard on the news this morning that they will be requiring bars, restaurants in the area to have a plan submitted to safely be able to conduct business as the weather changes and people will be forced to move indoors and away from outside dining or seating, they also said that it is expected that another 30% of bars and restaurants will not survive the winter because of the loss of ability to have outdoor patios as indoor seating will be limited based on guidelines. My question is does Michigan have the same plan in place and what are thoughts on how the U.P. establishments will handle this or be able to as we all know how busy places become during the snowmobile season, weekends are elbow to elbow at some places. I just hope all of these places will be allowed to conduct business and survive. I can just see the media or the governor turning this into another Sturgis conspiracy. Thoughts?
    election along with the fear mongering will be over by then

- - - Updated - - -

Harsh but honest.
    just stay under your desk till the government gives the all clear .

- - - Updated - - -

well then lift the bridge and lower for nothing . See how that works out after a few weeks lol
    Look over there a bunch of lemming are running dont want to get left behind

I was planning to stop at the Mosquito tonight to get some carry out to share with friends and family who live in Toivola. They informed me that the Mosquito closed abruptly a couple of days ago, and that it was Covid related.

Is it a super spreader site, is the staff infected......??

What’s going on?

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post
    I was planning to stop at the Mosquito tonight to get some carry out to share with friends and family who live in Toivola. They informed me that the Mosquito closed abruptly a couple of days ago, and that it was Covid related.

What’s going on?
    Some out of towner super spreader probably brought it, was it you goofy600??? I'm just hoping and praying the snow season will go on without a hitch. Sent e-mail (even though a little early) to where we stay up there to find out what their plans are, if any yet. Cases on the rise, hospitalizations on the rise, deaths on the rise but..... survival rate also on the rise now at %98.8 percent . correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that fact somewhat contradict the facts before? Hmmmmm

This is what I suspect will happen this winter business open then abruptly shut down. Can’t do much about it bring ready to eat food fend for yourself hope motels don’t pull the rug force you out. Could be some midnight commutes home who knows just have to roll with the punches.

Quote Originally Posted by finn View Post

What’s going on?
    Two bartenders/servers tested positive. They closed as soon as they found out, they will open again on the 1st of October. They closed to deep clean again, and to keep people safe.

I know this is a UP-centric thread, but I thought I'd share anyways. Bars in Ashland, WI are ordered to close for 17 days starting this Friday.
    https://kbjr6.com/2020/09/23/ashland...id-cases-rise/

From the article:

"If restaurants close their bar seating, they may stay open."

Gimme a break with this.

Nothing against you matti, thanks for binging it to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    I know this is a UP-centric thread, but I thought I'd share anyways. Bars in Ashland, WI are ordered to close for 17 days starting this Friday.
    https://kbjr6.com/2020/09/23/ashland...id-cases-rise/

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    From the article:

"If restaurants close their bar seating, they may stay open."

Gimme a break with this.

Nothing against you matti, thanks for binging it to our attention.
    You bet, no worries!

Some out of towner super spreader probably brought it, was it you goofy600??? I'm just hoping and praying the snow season will go on without a hitch. Sent e-mail (even though a little early) to where we stay up there to find out what their plans are, if any yet. Cases on the rise, hospitalizations on the rise, deaths on the rise but..... survival rate also on the rise now at %98.8 percent . correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that fact somewhat contradict the facts before? Hmmmmm
    Can’t blame me Brian haven’t made it that far north in a while. But on another note fishing has been good last 2 days, and I don’t think the fish have the Rona.

COVID is such old news, new pandemic rolling on in.
    Thank you Mr. Gates for nothing, you and your gmo mosquitoes.

Can’t blame me Brian haven’t made it that far north in a while. But on another note fishing has been good last 2 days, and I don’t think the fish have the Rona.
    goofy600, I am so jealous of your move up there and am glad to hear you are enjoying it!! When we are up there riding and come across those ponds out in middle of nowhere I have always wondered if I plugged a couple holes and dropped a line what I would find, Ill bet there are some real monsters in those off the beaten path ponds!! Enjoy my friend!! Enjoy!!

goofy600, I am so jealous of your move up there and am glad to hear you are enjoying it!! When we are up there riding and come across those ponds out in middle of nowhere I have always wondered if I plugged a couple holes and dropped a line what I would find, Ill bet there are some real monsters in those off the beaten path ponds!! Enjoy my friend!! Enjoy!!
    Just been on the Cisco chain haven’t even gotten to the little lakes off the beaten path yet but still learning. When you get in the area let me know and see if we can get together and have one.

Michigan DNR was making bank today at Lake of the Clouds $9 per car to go up to the top and they probably had over 1000 car there today. They had a line waiting to get in and would only let one car in for one that left. Last Saturday you couldn’t hardly fine a spot to part by Bond falls, so UP has been very busy with people seeing the parks.

Michigan DNR was making bank today at Lake of the Clouds $9 per car to go up to the top and they probably had over 1000 car there today. They had a line waiting to get in and would only let one car in for one that left. Last Saturday you couldn’t hardly fine a spot to part by Bond falls, so UP has been very busy with people seeing the parks.
    If anyone is interested in seeing the fall colors, Mount Bohemia offers chair lift rides to the top and down again to view the fall colors. They usually do this the first couple of weekends in October. I don't know if anything will be different this year because of the covid. I doubt it. Of course Mt Bohemia is only a short skip from Copper Harbor and Brockway and all the fall colors there. I really enjoyed the ride up to the top of Mt Bohemia when we did it years ago, but it has to be a nice day to make it great. The view and colors are just as good as Lake of the Clouds and Brockway in my book.

PS. Mount Ripley also offers fall chair lift rides.

https://www.mtbohemia.com/special-events/

Last edited by Midwest Player; 09-26-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Colors on Mt. Bohemia the past couple days.025-e.jpg031-e.jpg019-e.jpg026-e.jpg036-e.jpg

On Mt. Lookout (aka baldy) overlooking Eagle Harbor, on Friday. 035-e.jpg038-e.jpg039-e.jpg045-e.jpg

When I first read this I thought the DNR was just charging another fee to see Lake of the Clouds. However, I don't think this is the case. The Porkies and Lake of the Clouds is just another MI state park. If you are a non-resident the fee to enter a MI state park is $9 for a day pass or $34 for a yearly pass. If you are a MI resident when you get your license plates you can get a yearly pass for all MI state parks for $12. If you wait to buy it at the park it is going to cost $17. It appears for a MI resident there is no longer a daily option, but at one time there was.
    https://www2.dnr.state.mi.us/Publica...ecpassport.htm

Goofy600, if you are now a MI resident the time to buy the pass is when you get your license plates. I always buy a park pass even though I might not use it since it is so cheap. I only used it once this year, and only a couple times last year and one of the times was only for a bathroom stop at the state park at Lake Gogebic.
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 09-27-2020 at 09:06 PM.