Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Peoria,IL
    Posts
    93

    Default Ford F150 2.7 Twin Turbo

    Thinking about buying a new Ford F150. Does anyone have any experience with the newer Ford F150 2.7 Turbo?

    How is the gas mileage while towing?
    How is the gas mileage in normal driving conditions?
    How is the performance/capability while towing?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watertown WI
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by heitz66 View Post
    Thinking about buying a new Ford F150. Does anyone have any experience with the newer Ford F150 2.7 Turbo?

    How is the gas mileage while towing?
    How is the gas mileage in normal driving conditions?
    How is the performance/capability while towing?
    F150forum.com is probably your best bet for info. Its a halfway decent forum.
    I have a 3.5 eco so I cant help you. Though I probably would have picked the 2.7 myself except for the terrible throttle lag (not turbo lag) when flooring it from dead stop. I dont know why that bothered me so much at the time, but it did. I very rarely floor it from a dead stop in normal driving. That was in 2018. It may have different programming by now.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    putnam county ohio
    Posts
    316

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    F150forum.com is probably your best bet for info. Its a halfway decent forum.
    I have a 3.5 eco so I cant help you. Though I probably would have picked the 2.7 myself except for the terrible throttle lag (not turbo lag) when flooring it from dead stop. I dont know why that bothered me so much at the time, but it did. I very rarely floor it from a dead stop in normal driving. That was in 2018. It may have different programming by now.
    They run fine but are under powered, if your pulling , go 3.5

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Il
    Posts
    584

    Default

    theres no replacement for displacement...

    simple as that, true story

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watertown WI
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddspolaris View Post
    They run fine but are under powered, if your pulling , go 3.5
    It may have less power than a 3.5, but come on, they have more hp than a 2000 Chevy 3500 with a 454ci.

    There is no truck made today that is underpowered.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER View Post
    theres no replacement for displacement...

    simple as that, true story
    look above...

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Peoria,IL
    Posts
    93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    It may have less power than a 3.5, but come on, they have more hp than a 2000 Chevy 3500 with a 454ci.

    There is no truck made today that is underpowered.

    - - - Updated - - -


    look above...
    Well put SRT20 I never thought of it that way. You just answered my question thanks!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    South/North Wisconsin
    Posts
    240

    Default

    Since we bought my wife's CUV a few years ago, my truck has been staying home on trips. We usually caravan to the northwoods with three other couples, all pulling two or three place enclosed trailers. Last winter they finally asked while trying to keep up merging onto the highway after a fuel stop. "What size V8 you got in that thing?" Its a 2.5 turbo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hebron IN.
    Posts
    476

    Default

    have the 3.5 eco, for towing and power it does better than the V8 and 2.7 ,average miles around 20mpg no regrets.You will find out while merging with a trailer u hit that 3.5 and it scoots friends 2.7 made a little more noise but not near the pick up.While towing gas mileage not that impressive around 13mpg on the 3.5

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Shorewood,IL and Woodruff Wisconsin
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    I have a 2016 F150 with the 2.7 with over 90k on it. Mpg empty going to Minocqua summer will avg about 22-23 winter 18-20. Pulled a few trailers usually 12-15 but 10 once when it was very cold. The motor performed a lot better after 50k on it. If your towing under 5k I would do the 2.7. Its my daily driver but my avg for the 90k is over 20 mpg.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Central WI
    Posts
    746

    Default

    Though I can’t offer any personal experience with the 2.7 I can tell you that torque at a reasonable RPM range and gearing is what you’re considering when pulling a trailer. Personally I prefer max cubic inch displacement for towing, but that’s just my experience.
    Last edited by fcat700; 09-21-2020 at 10:17 PM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watertown WI
    Posts
    1,979

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fcat700 View Post
    Though I can’t offer any personal experience with the 2.7 I can tell you that torque at a reasonable RPM range and gearing is what you’re considering when pulling a trailer. Personally I prefer max cubic inch displacement for towing, but that’s just my experience.
    Thats a misconception about these engines.

    Thats the great thing about turbo's. The torque is lower than a NA engine. Same as a turbo diesel. These engines produce more power down low and shift alot less than a V8 engine. In fact, they run out of breath quicker than a v8 too. They are better at lower rpm.

    My last truck was a Dodge 2500 with Cummins diesel. This ecoboost drives very very similar to the diesel.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Central MN
    Posts
    508

    Default

    I know you asked about the 2.7.....I have the 3.5. previous truck was a Chevy Silverado with a 5.3, it took me a while to get over the fact that I had a V8 and was "down grading" to a V6 (I am not a big truck guy and don't know a lot about the gearing and what not). But I have no complaints with the 3.5, I pull an 8.5'x20' enclosed trailer and the truck moves right along no problem. First Ford I have ever owned and very happy with it. The leg room in the back seat is also great (more then the Silverado).

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    2.7L EcoBoostŪ V6 Vs. 3.5L EcoBoostŪ V6
    325 HP Horsepower 375 HP
    400 lb.-ft. Torque 470 lb.-ft.
    10-speed automatic Transmission 10-speed automatic
    9,000 lbs. Max. Towing Capacity 13,200 lbs.
    2,470 lbs. Max. Payload Capacity 3,230 lbs.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Out there
    Posts
    5,230

    Default

    If durability matters.....I am currently driving a "new to me" 2016 f150 long bed SC with the 3.5.EB 160,000 miles. Love the truck, smooth, quiet, tons a snort and when driven easy 20mpg. Towing does use the fuel like a v-8 but what do you expect?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Aurora, IL.
    Posts
    250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post
    If durability matters.....I am currently driving a "new to me" 2016 f150 long bed SC with the 3.5.EB 160,000 miles. Love the truck, smooth, quiet, tons a snort and when driven easy 20mpg. Towing does use the fuel like a v-8 but what do you expect?
    Welcome back snobuilder....I guess I was a missing your replies

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hazel Hurst, WI
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Great motor.. Hwy 23mpg pulling the 20ft inline about 18.. only one sled..10 speed tran is the ticket..

    Love my new one.. We Ride!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» October 2020

S M T W T F S
27282930 1 2 3
4 5 6 7 8 9 10
11 12 13 14 15 16 17
18 19 20 21 22 23 24
25 26 27 28 29 30 31

» Stats

Members: 20,295
Threads: 28,792
Posts: 341,131

» Online Users: 338

20 members and 318 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0