Thread: Minoqua

Default Minoqua

This will be the first year that we are taking the kids with us on a trip so we are staying at Waters of Minoqua, obviously its not the most idea place for trail access if the lake isnt froze, (late December) so here's my question, when the lake isnt froze, is it best to just trailer to a lot on the north side of town (Woodruff) and go from there? Obviously if snow condition isnt good we could trailer to Mercer, but Im just trying to prepare for this as the wives and kids first trip with us, we hope to make it a good one. We've never stayed in Minoqua but we have rode through it, just looking for a little help with this area. Last year we were up there in Feb in -25 and that lake still had open water.

Go across road. ride down to Bearskin by Kawaga...The club will open for road travel.. If no Ice.

Thanks, that’s exactly what I was looking for! Hazel Hurst/Tomohawk area is where we rode last year, on our Feb trip, I don’t know that we will ever go further north than that as long as there’s decent snow, we had a pretty good time.

We stayed there last year with terrible lake conditions and rode the road. I will tell you, unless it’s cold and they've had recent snow, it isn’t that carbide/slide friendly of a ride to the bearskin. If you’re bringing the wife with and she’s not a super experienced rider I may suggest trailering out of there.

I know Waters has a better water park to use but if you're flexible St Germain has 3 hotels with pools that are right on the trail. All three have places to eat within walking distance and fuel is easy to get to. Been taking my family there in the later years and it's worked out well for us.

Good luck!

You might want to consider staying at the Beacons or a cabin at Nitchkes'. They are both right one the Bearskin. If you take the rode from the Waters, you basically have to drive through those resorts to get on the Bearskin.

Quote Originally Posted by harski View Post
    I know Waters has a better water park to use but if you're flexible St Germain has 3 hotels with pools that are right on the trail. All three have places to eat within walking distance and fuel is easy to get to. Been taking my family there in the later years and it's worked out well for us.

Good luck!
    One even has a saltwater pool!

Ya that road ride from the Waters to the Bearskin isn't the best without fresh snow. A quick trailer job down to the Minocqua post office lot puts you right at the Bearskin Trailhead.

One thing to consider about stay in Minoqua is that if it's the weekend the trails will likely be trashed by early evening. This means an unpleasant ride back with the wife and kids. I've stayed many times at the Waters and one reason we do is because when we find a place with a really good bed that works for my husbands back we stick to it. I understand the allure of the water park for the kids. We've never used it. If your going with the family and are set on staying there I'd be trailering out a little ways to avoid the unpleasant return trip. It's not that the clubs aren't doing their job, you get out of town a ways and their normally really nice. It's just that so many sledders stay in Minoqua and Woodruff. A groomer can't compete with that kind of traffic.

You might consider trailering to the skidoo dealer. I’ve heard he has let people park there. Then you can ride north around Big Arborvitea lake. Once you get around the lake there’s lots of woods riding. Or you can go toward Lake Tomahawk. Lots of woods trails off to the left of the grade.

Wait and see what happens with the snow rode all around the Minocqua area last year without an issue. My house is a half mile from the trail and roads were rideable when the trails were open.

another quick question, my brother and I will be coming back up on January 8th, is there a place to leave the trailer any where close to Minoqua or Mercer for those 10 days?