Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1

    Default St.Germain radar runs

    Looked on face book and the 2021 St.Germain radar runs are already cancelled. I just donít understand

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,209

    Default

    Suspected result with Covid on the rise me I’m waiting for the other boot to drop with Evers and Whitmer to try and shutdown the snowmobiling season to protect us from Covid spread. I hope not but dems think a shutdown is feasible. Time will tell.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Marquette/Columbia, WI
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Suspected result with Covid on the rise me I’m waiting for the other boot to drop with Evers and Whitmer to try and shutdown the snowmobiling season to protect us from Covid spread. I hope not but dems think a shutdown is feasible. Time will tell.
    Based on your logic, wouldn't ATV and boating be shutdown over the summer...?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    Based on your logic, wouldn't ATV and boating be shutdown over the summer...?
    True - but the difference with snowmobile trails (For those of us who are mostly trail riders) is will they allow the DNR to go do their job, or will they have them sitting in the groomer shacks polishing their equipment? (Take that as you wish).

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Marquette/Columbia, WI
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    True - but the difference with snowmobile trails (For those of us who are mostly trail riders) is will they allow the DNR to go do their job, or will they have them sitting in the groomer shacks polishing their equipment? (Take that as you wish).
    Not sure I understand. Do you mean enforcement?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    Not sure I understand. Do you mean enforcement?
    Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming, but in MN, the main state trails are maintained by DNR state employees. We've been told in MN that nothing will change for this season, but if cases continue (DUH) its just a question of whether the Gov decides to be "safe" and restrict things again.

    At this point, I'm holding out hope that being in a groomer is still being "socially distant", and things won't be affected trail wise.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    Based on your logic, wouldn't ATV and boating be shutdown over the summer...?
    Certainly not my logic but Whitmer did shut down boating Evers did not. If governors want to shut down snowmobiling certainly easy enough to do by shutting trail gates

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Marquette/Columbia, WI
    Posts
    102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming, but in MN, the main state trails are maintained by DNR state employees. We've been told in MN that nothing will change for this season, but if cases continue (DUH) its just a question of whether the Gov decides to be "safe" and restrict things again.

    At this point, I'm holding out hope that being in a groomer is still being "socially distant", and things won't be affected trail wise.
    Gotcha. I did not know that about MN. In WI, there are no state employees that groom. All groomers are orchestrated by the club that maintains the trails(private or state-owned, funded or non-funded).
    County Coordinator(DNR) will distribute those funds to the club.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Darboy,Wi
    Posts
    2,110

    Default

    Guess it'll just have to be show up and run what ya brung!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.
    Posts
    2,413

    Default

    If there is no grooming it won't matter if the gates are open or not. In a very short time there will be holes 5 feet deep and nobody will ride anyway.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    69

    Default

    If they do shut it down, I really hope that everyone understands where its legal to ride off trail, and where its not. This could become a problem.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wisco-mb View Post
    Gotcha. I did not know that about MN. In WI, there are no state employees that groom. All groomers are orchestrated by the club that maintains the trails(private or state-owned, funded or non-funded).
    County Coordinator(DNR) will distribute those funds to the club.
    That's what I figured in Sconnie. MOST trails in MN are local club maintained, and groomed. I'm confident snowmobilers who are in those clubs (As everyone should be for state funding of said clubs) will still be out doing what they always have been. My guess is most snowmobilers are NOT on board with shutting the trails, and regardless of any "mandate", will do what they've always done.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    1,985

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wfd123 View Post
    Looked on face book and the 2021 St.Germain radar runs are already cancelled. I just don’t understand
    I plan to put a mask in my helmet.

    Bear

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Marathon, WI
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Probably more related to their ability to get insurance for the event than anything. Think about it ... it's an outdoor event in winter when most people would be wearing a facemask anyway. But from a business standpoint, can you imagine the sh&t-storm that would come down if someone where to claim they got COVID at your event? I can imagine that insurance companies don't want to deal with that. So, insurance is either hard to come by, or way to expensive to justify.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wetmore, MI
    Posts
    580

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Grooming. I'm not sure how much the WI or MI DNR does for grooming...
    In MI the DNR used to do the grooming when we first started coming up to the U.P. in the mid-90s...by the time we moved here, 2002, it was all clubs paid out of the state fund...in our area (Munising) it used to be done by a for-profit operator until 2015...since then it's been all club maintained

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Osseo Wisconsin
    Posts
    558

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    In MI the DNR used to do the grooming when we first started coming up to the U.P. in the mid-90s...by the time we moved here, 2002, it was all clubs paid out of the state fund...in our area (Munising) it used to be done by a for-profit operator until 2015...since then it's been all club maintained
    The best thing that happened by Munising was getting rid of that for profit operator. The improvement in trail quality there went through the roof when the club took over. Can't say enough the improvement of that trail section. SORVA does a great job now.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Certainly not my logic but Whitmer did shut down boating Evers did not. If governors want to shut down snowmobiling certainly easy enough to do by shutting trail gates
    whitedust, I couldn't agree more! and quite honestly I am concerned for the upcoming sledding season, not that I wont get my week in the Kee but more so for the industry and the businesses in the north woods that need the short season to survive. With the pending doom of potential change in the government coming in the next week, the shut down lefties may just do that. In Europe they announced mandatory 4 week shut downs, to a point where again ALL nonessential businesses closed with tight restrictions of those that will be deemed essential, also you will require a certificate to be outside of your home for anything other than essential travel. So yeah...we all should be worried about the coming season with the whack a doodle gov's both Wi and Mi have. Am I mistaken doesn't this virus have a 99.1% survival rate??? Why then are we not hunkering down the "At Risk" people??? and allow the rest of population function??? And we still have THOUSANDS of wisconites waiting over 16 WEEKS for their FIRST unemployment check!!! I may be over reading into this but am very concerned for the north woods this season. As far as outdoor activities, there is no larger migration of people from out of state, within state than snowmobiling and I can see either one of our gov's trying to curve that migration. Not to mention if we have a change of position in the big office. I don't see it getting ANY better!!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gade-thrasher View Post
    Probably more related to their ability to get insurance for the event than anything. Think about it ... it's an outdoor event in winter when most people would be wearing a facemask anyway. But from a business standpoint, can you imagine the sh&t-storm that would come down if someone where to claim they got COVID at your event? I can imagine that insurance companies don't want to deal with that. So, insurance is either hard to come by, or way to expensive to justify.
    That's why waivers were invented. Just have everyone who attends sign a waiver, problem solved.

    I've been shooting my usual PRS matches all year, and the only waivers I've signed are the normal ones that we always sign (which would probably cover liability for a virus, too). PRS matches are ALL insured.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    So yeah...we all should be worried about the coming season with the whack a doodle gov's both Wi and Mi have.
    Forgot that other state to the west of Sconnie. Well, many of you may want to forget it anyway.... LOL

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Shoreview, MN
    Posts
    708

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Forgot that other state to the west of Sconnie. Well, many of you may want to forget it anyway.... LOL
    Noooo shhh, let them all go to the UP and Eagle River. Central MN with good snow is where its at.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lake Geneva/ St. Germain
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Election tomorrow, everything about Rona will change by mid December, yes, the virus is real, but the "election" scare will be over.... The Barrington Declaration report that was released a few weeks ago will give cover to all the politicians to change their position on lockdown and go with herd immunity.

    Trails will be open...…...

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    S. Cento Wisco
    Posts
    87

    Default

    Trail maintenance in the UP is my concern as well. I have a cabin in Watersmeet Township, and have noticed that the trails didn't get much attention until mid summer.... (ATV/UTV) with many wash-boarded out, trees down and washouts due to the fact the DNR was locked down and wouldn't pay maintenance. I hope this does not come down on the snowmobile trail system as well should the MI Gov lock it down again. This virus sucks... about as much as the Packers Defense.

  23. #23

    Default

    St.Germain town board voted to sanction Radar Runs if organizers present there plans. Maybe not cancelled after all.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Madison/Vilas County
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wfd123 View Post
    St.Germain town board voted to sanction Radar Runs if organizers present there plans. Maybe not cancelled after all.

    Insurance estimate was up by 5 fold over previous years.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Elkhorn, Wi & St. Germain, WI
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wfd123 View Post
    St.Germain town board voted to sanction Radar Runs if organizers present there plans. Maybe not cancelled after all.
    the amount of dollars this event generates for the town has to be pushing 7 figures???? There are a ton of attendees. Full bars, restaurants, hotels/cabins/motels, sled rentals....I could go on & on.

    with everything else being scaled down I’m sure the local businesses are desperate for a “win”.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erkoehler View Post
    the amount of dollars this event generates for the town has to be pushing 7 figures???? There are a ton of attendees. Full bars, restaurants, hotels/cabins/motels, sled rentals....I could go on & on.

    with everything else being scaled down I’m sure the local businesses are desperate for a “win”.
    Wait... Full bars, restaurants??? say it isn't so!! I hope this all works out for you guys! very unfortunate if it doesn't! we need to get back to normal! not this "new normal". What ever happened to liability protections? You shouldn't be allowed to sue if you get sick at an event, you are taking the chance just by attending, if you aren't willing to.. or you don't like the fact someone isn't wearing a mask or has a cough... stay home in your bubble, let everyone else enjoy! If we can get this liability protection thing passed then there should be no need for the now massive insurance costs to hold an event. All I have to say is its just sad! what a joke!

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    St Germain WI
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Town has been busy all spring-summer-fall. SXS trails packed tons of fishing boats bike trails packed bars were open and full don’t believe everything u read.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    280

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by erkoehler View Post
    the amount of dollars this event generates for the town has to be pushing 7 figures???? There are a ton of attendees. Full bars, restaurants, hotels/cabins/motels, sled rentals....I could go on & on.

    with everything else being scaled down I’m sure the local businesses are desperate for a “win”.
    It's not even just that town. Bars, motels, and resorts in Lake Tomahawk, Sayner, Eagle River, and other surrounding communities are also packed that weekend.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Elkhorn, Wi & St. Germain, WI
    Posts
    340

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    It's not even just that town. Bars, motels, and resorts in Lake Tomahawk, Sayner, Eagle River, and other surrounding communities are also packed that weekend.
    oh I completely agree, I don’t know what the attendance is but is definitely one of the most popular weekends up north from what I’ve seen.

    anybody know what the attendance was? Not sure it was ever documented.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    St Germain WI
    Posts
    37

    Default

    51F5FEB9-FA7A-4D5E-AF31-EDF645951376.jpg

    - - - Updated - - -

    That was 2 years ago.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.
    Posts
    351

    Default

    Will there be a bikini run??? Asking for a friend...

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,115

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Will there be a bikini run??? Asking for a friend...
    Asking for a friend?? wink wink

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,180

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Suspected result with Covid on the rise me Iím waiting for the other boot to drop with Evers and Whitmer to try and shutdown the snowmobiling season to protect us from Covid spread. I hope not but dems think a shutdown is feasible. Time will tell.
    Lol good luck with that . I would still be running the Tucker on all the privet land

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3

    Default

    Sign waivers. Problem solved.

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Osseo Wisconsin
    Posts
    558

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern IL & East Shore Rd.
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katden4 View Post
    If they do shut it down, I really hope that everyone understands where its legal to ride off trail, and where its not. This could become a problem.

    It will be a free for all.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» November 2020

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 12345

» Stats

Members: 20,320
Threads: 28,861
Posts: 342,094

» Online Users: 293

10 members and 283 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Rhubarb (52)
jimbo1974 (46)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0