Default Advice .....helmet with goggles.

Need some advice looking to buy a 509 helmet and use goggles for my 14 yo son. All I have ever used is the full shield with heated visor. We do 2 trips a year to the UP and trail ride. My question is are the helmet goggle combos pretty wind proof? Do the fog up or ice up? Just looking for opinions to see if I make him stick with the full shield....haha. Thanks in advance

There will be several different opinions on this, I'll give you my version. I switched to helmet /goggle several years ago and have never regretted it. I wear contacts and I wanted the most foolproof option. needing to slightly crack open full face shields lost me several contacts and one eye closed rides home. First I tried heated shield, which I found to be not a whole lot better than non heated. I break a sweat when I ride and the heat goes right up the neck into the helmet, causing fogging. Next, at the same time I bought a Goggle setup and a ski doo modular, I felt one of these would solve my issues. Both worked, but I liked the goggle setup better. Modular was colder and the face piece always needs adjusting. I still use it on short family rides because its a little easier and I can communicate better than with goggle setup.
    I've used the goggle setup from +40 degrees to -30 degrees with no problems. the setup though is key for colder temps. When choosing helmet, I bring my goggles or vice versa. They need to be almost a perfect fit. The goggle has to fit in helmet opening tightly at the sides and top, they should stay in when placing them in the opening when off your head, like on a table. Anything less, will make it colder with more wind to high cheek area. Another KEY piece to my setup is a No-Fog mask. the neoprene protects cheeks from cold, it get breath out & doesn't let body heat up to lens. Also, I cut to size and apply electric tape to all front lens vents, the top and bottom provide enough venting, the front lets wind directly in. Two years ago I switched to a Klim face mask with the built in "no fog" style mouthpiece, I also have an FXR version and they work equally well. They are a little easier than my old face mask/ no fog mask combo. With either setup, the face mask is the very thin type. I remove the breath box that comes with the helmet. The other nice thing with the goggle setup is I always carry a spare pair should I need them. My current setup is a 509 Helmet and 509 Sinister X5 goggles. My previous setup was an Arctic Cat sno-cross helmet with Oakley E series goggles. I tried many other goggles, but the E series fit best with that helmet. My son uses that setup now. The AC/Oakley setup needed less fine tuning when putting on, I just put it on and good to go. The 509 setup needs a little more gloveless finger running around edges to make sure everything seated right. I've never had a problem with either setup in any temp and have probably 6000 - 7000 miles in with them, other than when it's warmer and rain/sleeting, need to clear them a lot, but I think all setups have an issue in those conditions. Probably the only con compared to full face for me is a little bit less peripheral vision, but doesn't bother me much. I would agree its a slightly more time consuming to get on than a full face, but knowing I won't have any issues is worth it. This is all what has worked for me and I'm sure personal preference is a factor. If you look in the pic, you can see there is almost no where for wind to get in and note the tape on front vents at the top. Screenshot_20201029-151220.jpg

Snow cross helmets & properly fit goggle combinations work really well, the key is properly fit. If possible, fit the goggles with the helmet by trying them together before you buy. I was a full face helmet wearer for many years & switched & do not regret it at all, however, I still have my full face in the event of brutal cold temps. -Mezz

If his only goal is to look "cool" G-max makes a full face helmet that looks exactly like a snow cross style...you can remove the face shield and use it either way...I don't remember the exact model number but I wear 1 of those most of the time...or more correctly did, until I switched to a medium windshield...now I use a modular style...MUCH easier to carry on a conversation when stopped...

I have 509 altitude snocross type helmet with 509 revolver goggles. Works ok together still get some fogging in certain conditions. So i bought a pair of the 509 sinster x5 xl? With the ignite battery operated heated lens. Have not fogged up yet with them and still can change lens color easy enuf. I still put a full face or modular on if i know its gonna be 15 degrees or less or if im planning a high mileage/high speed day. Rather be safe then sorry in the fogging or leaking department. The ignite series goggles are a sweet setup no cords to worry about getting on or off sled and battery seems to last all day when i do use them. I have talked to the 509 people at sno shows and on the phone and they do say 509 goggles are made to fit 509 helmets(why wouldnt they) but they seem to know what they are talking about, easy to return if you are not satisfied. Im still looking for the best full face/and or modular helmet that fits me right,has no leaks,and still looks good.
    Last edited by High Country; 10-29-2020 at 08:18 PM.

MX style helmet for me. Even in brutal cold. I HATE enclosed helmets with shields.

Goggle to helmet fit is the key. I've found Scott OTG (over the glasses) goggles because of the extra foam on them, make a goid seal on mx style helmets.

agree with others as far as fitting helmet to goggles. same manufacturer goggles to helmet means nothing. i use 509 helmet with scott split or primal snocross goggles with bottom vent siliconed shut. best on trail mx helmet setup ive found. sure they are many good setups

I agree with the others on the mx helmet with goggles. I switched about 4 years ago and can't imagine going back to the chord and shield. I really got tired of broken heat shields, failed chords, blown fuses and being tethered to my sled with the plug in. Carrying spare goggles is very helpful as is interchangeable lenses for different conditions. I've ridden in 20 below weather without a problem but you do have to be diligent about eliminating any exposed skin.

That is a cool looking helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    If his only goal is to look "cool" G-max makes a full face helmet that looks exactly like a snow cross style...you can remove the face shield and use it either way...I don't remember the exact model number but I wear 1 of those most of the time...or more correctly did, until I switched to a medium windshield...now I use a modular style...MUCH easier to carry on a conversation when stopped...
    I have the same same set up as I wanted to try goggles. Never switched since I went with a medium windshield.

I've had good luck with the 100% brand googles. They fit well in my Fly helmet. As others have said, every helmet/ google combo is different so you really need to try and put them together to figure out what works well. I also have the "no-fog" face-masks that help a lot to direct your breath out the bottom. Highly recommend one of those.

I’ve stayed out of this discussion but goggles didn’t work out for me had battery fans tried everything to control fogging and had frost bite due to air leakage so finally gave up but that was years ago. Seems users are taping , siliconing vents going thru many adjustments to get acceptable performance. What’s wrong with tried and true modular helmets for trail riding?

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

The modular helmets just don't look cool enough with the mohawk thing on them.

Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    The modular helmets just don't look cool enough with the mohawk thing on them.
    Got to admit I forgot about the way cool Mohawks. Lol. I wear glasses for trail riding so I’m always looking for warmth , low noise , venting ,electric shields and least amount of fogging possible. I’ve popped a fair amount of cords so understand that in convenience. Your buddy has an unexpected off or gets up on a tree trunk and your off your sled in a New York nano second pop goes the cord. Lol. BUT I found the no fog face masks totally disgusting wet and slobbered up. The modular snot mop is no picnic either but at least you can change the wet filter.

If you are buying helmet and goggles, make sure he tries it on before buying. Sometimes they don't fit well on the face, and ya need to try a different brand. It's critical that the goggle seals well, or they are going to fog quickly. Speaking of fogging, don't listen to the people who claim that goggles never fog. They either don't ride when it's really cold, or don't ride hard, or don't ride for long periods (or some combination of all of these). All goggles will eventually fog, unless they are electric.

I use both, full face with electric for trail riding, and goggles for off-trail. Goggles can be warm enough (for high speed trail) with the right balaclava (e.g. Klim Arctic), but will be pretty noisy at high speeds.

In recent years I've been using 509 Sinister XL5 goggles with an HJC helmet, and it's working well for me. YMMV.

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

I have a modular brp 2 i have a heated shield and also drive with glasses. I dont use the rubber breather thing no snot mop. Close the lid and go.

I have several 509 helmet goggle combos. I don’t have issues with fogging as long as the breath box vent is open and the internal liner is properly fit to form around your face/nose. I also have the ignite goggles if it’s sleeting, etc. Make sure the goggles are completely pushed into the helmet when wearing them. I usually hear a click like sound.

One last thing. The balaclava needs to be properly fitted and worn for wind protection when putting the helmet one.
    Last edited by Ohio Cat; 10-31-2020 at 12:56 PM.

This is a topic that gets revisited every year, but I'm happy to report my experience. Obviously, there are pros and cons to both setups. However, for me it just came down to reliability. It seemed like every other year I was replacing a $90 electric visor. I switched to goggles about 5 years ago, and I'll never go back to an electric shield. It doesn't really matter what kind of goggles you use, most will get a good seal, you just have move it around for a second and make sure it's seated. I find the most important component is the mask, if you wear a Klim mask you cant go wrong. I usually wear the lighter one, but if it gets really cold, I'll wear the heavier one. Last, if you want the best of both worlds, get a set of heated goggles (very handy in freezing mist). My only complaint about goggles is the peripheral vision is not as good, and it can be a little noisier, but I'm on a four stroke so that's a non-factor. I usually carry three goggles in my trunk bag, one for bright sunlight, one for darkness or flat light, and the electric for the funky stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiosledder View Post
    This is a topic that gets revisited every year, but I'm happy to report my experience. Obviously, there are pros and cons to both setups. However, for me it just came down to reliability. It seemed like every other year I was replacing a $90 electric visor. I switched to goggles about 5 years ago, and I'll never go back to an electric shield. It doesn't really matter what kind of goggles you use, most will get a good seal, you just have move it around for a second and make sure it's seated. I find the most important component is the mask, if you wear a Klim mask you cant go wrong. I usually wear the lighter one, but if it gets really cold, I'll wear the heavier one. Last, if you want the best of both worlds, get a set of heated goggles (very handy in freezing mist). My only complaint about goggles is the peripheral vision is not as good, and it can be a little noisier, but I'm on a four stroke so that's a non-factor. I usually carry three goggles in my trunk bag, one for bright sunlight, one for darkness or flat light, and the electric for the funky stuff.
    There is no wind noise at 90mph on a four-stroke? Wow, crazy.

It's not the engine that creates the most noise (for the rider) at high speeds, even on a two-stroke. It's the wind noise, which is worse with goggles than with a full face shield.

And it absolutely does matter what brand of goggles you buy. They all fit differently, both to the face and to the helmet. It's best to try on the goggles and helmet (together) at the time of purchase.

I know this is about open face and goggles. Sorry for hijack but has anyone tried or know about this helmet
    CKX Mission AMS Full Face Helmet - Carbon Solid - Winter
    https://www.ckxgear.com/en-us/produc...n-solid-winter

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    There is no wind noise at 90mph on a four-stroke? Wow, crazy.

It's not the engine that creates the most noise (for the rider) at high speeds, even on a two-stroke. It's the wind noise, which is worse with goggles than with a full face shield.

And it absolutely does matter what brand of goggles you buy. They all fit differently, both to the face and to the helmet. It's best to try on the goggles and helmet (together) at the time of purchase.
    Look, I have Klim goggles, FXR goggles, 509 goggles and Cat goggles. Yes, they all fit slightly differently, but I don't have issues with either one of them. I do agree that you should try them on together if you have the chance. As far as the noise, there isn't much difference in the wind noise. And if you ride a piped sled, it is certainly the main source of noise at any speed.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiosledder View Post
    Look, I have Klim goggles, FXR goggles, 509 goggles and Cat goggles. Yes, they all fit slightly differently, but I don't have issues with either one of them. I do agree that you should try them on together if you have the chance. As far as the noise, there isn't much difference in the wind noise. And if you ride a piped sled, it is certainly the main source of noise at any speed.
    Loud pipes have been illegal on WI and MI trails for decades. When wearing goggles at high speeds, wind is louder than the engine, even on a two-stroke. This isn't conjecture; I've been wearing both for decades, and have ridden thousands of miles on UP rail grades. If it wasn't quieter with the full face, then your face shield wasn't sealing properly. No wonder you didn't like it.

I had some Castle goggles that wouldn't seal on my face no matter what I did, and would fog up within a few minutes. So yeah, it can be a big problem. Just because you never had issues doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I don't know why some people feel that you can only choose one or the other. Goggles are far better for off-trail or the racetrack, and full face is better for high speed riding. Get both, and wear the one appropriate for the day's ride.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Loud pipes have been illegal on WI and MI trails for decades. When wearing goggles at high speeds, wind is louder than the engine, even on a two-stroke. This isn't conjecture; I've been wearing both for decades, and have ridden thousands of miles on UP rail grades. If it wasn't quieter with the full face, then your face shield wasn't sealing properly. No wonder you didn't like it.

I had some Castle goggles that wouldn't seal on my face no matter what I did, and would fog up within a few minutes. So yeah, it can be a big problem. Just because you never had issues doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

I don't know why some people feel that you can only choose one or the other. Goggles are far better for off-trail or the racetrack, and full face is better for high speed riding. Get both, and wear the one appropriate for the day's ride.
    I didnít say that I didnít like it, I said that I was tired of constantly replacing shields. Also, Iím sure my windshield size has a lot to do with the lack of noise, the original one was a wedge which blasted me right in the chest and face with wind. I still take my full face helmet and electric shield on trips for a contingency, but Iíve never unpacked it.

Best to shop for goggles with the face and helmet they'll be on for best fitment... I always get two pairs of goggles one tinted for daytime and a clear set for night... I wear the facefull with goggles for most conditions but will switch up to a modular when cold or freezing rain is in the forecast... All the M