PDA

View Full Version : Why?

polarisrider1
04-24-2010, 07:37 PM
Okay, this is the issue. Why does my lap not refresh? When out to Tog. I had to manually refresh each post to get updated info. At the Boat same thing. At home my posts and everyone elses updates constantly. Is it because of the IP address is different than a common location that JDee is familair with? such as home? Not sure if I am being clear, but JDee is a constant refresh when not at Home to get it to work. Do I have a setting on my computer to get it to refresh after each post? I do have real bad signal on my lap top when I go on line to JD when this happens. either dial up or boot legging high speed on my lap top at some port it happens. need help since I live in many locations during the yr. and would like this to work better.

Paul
04-24-2010, 07:57 PM
If I understand you correctly your saying that the page will normally auto refresh on other computers but not your laptop? The site doesn't care how or from which computer you access it from, so you could use any computer you want. It sounds like it may be a computer setting, you can try going into internet explorer and resetting all your web settings to defaults. I have not ever noticed this happening on my computers. If the page does get updated by someone else the only way I can see the change is to refresh the page. The site does use frames so if you’re getting to the discussion boards through the main page it could be the frame that is auto refreshing. If going directly to the board it may not auto refresh, I don't believe that the board will auto refresh on its own.

polarisrider1
04-25-2010, 12:51 AM
My computer at home is true high speed with ATT and it refreshes and stays current automatically, runs well. the lap top I am at various places with lousy connections and have to always refresh between posts. Is it a setting on the lap top? I would like to get this resolved since I travel all summer with this lap top getting conections as I travel. I suspect I am at seversl IP addressesas I move. just need it to work better so I don't double post.

frnash
04-25-2010, 12:46 PM
My computer at home is true high speed with ATT and it refreshes and stays current automatically, runs well. the lap top I am at various places with lousy connections and have to always refresh between posts. Is it a setting on the lap top? I would like to get this resolved since I travel all summer with this lap top getting conections as I travel. I suspect I am at seversl IP addressesas I move. just need it to work better so I don't double post.
A key question: How does the laptop behave at home, preferably on the same hard wired connection as your desktop machine? (Your laptop does have an Ethernet connector, no?)

FYI: I have never experienced such a problem, either on a hard-wired desktop machine or on a laptop with a wireless connection to my own or any other WiFi "hot spot".

polarisrider1
04-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Okay frnash, I ran some tests. I came home and fired up the lap top. Both computers home and lap top are on wireless cards. I have my Roku player and another router for upstairs on the ethernet cord. The lap top does not refresh the JDee site at home or anywhere else.. So it must be a setting on the lap top. I never us the lap top at home so this may have been like this for years. I thought it was an issue with Togwotee wireless and then the Marina wireless. Looks like a lap top setting but I don't know what to turn on or off. I have to click the refresh button each time I want to update the JDee Discussion board with the lap top but not on the home computer..

polarisrider1
04-25-2010, 09:03 PM
If I understand you correctly your saying that the page will normally auto refresh on other computers but not your laptop? The site doesn't care how or from which computer you access it from, so you could use any computer you want. It sounds like it may be a computer setting, you can try going into internet explorer and resetting all your web settings to defaults. I have not ever noticed this happening on my computers. If the page does get updated by someone else the only way I can see the change is to refresh the page. The site does use frames so if you’re getting to the discussion boards through the main page it could be the frame that is auto refreshing. If going directly to the board it may not auto refresh, I don't believe that the board will auto refresh on its own.

Paul I have it set up both ways thanks to frnash (months ago) Running JDee through Snow central or through vBulletin (which knocks out adds and gives larger screen) either way every post refreshes everytime on Home computer but not on lap top which is set up the standard route of openning JDee central then going to the discussion forum. I suspect 98% of the JDeer's do it this way. It must be a setting on the lap top. I need to fix since the signal strengths and speeds at locations other than home seem to be lacking, unless I am at an internet coffee shop. The refresh time each time and losing signal, etc. can cause up to 5-8 min. delays between posts. This causes conversations to lapse. I will get the kids on it!

frnash
04-25-2010, 10:13 PM
[/URL]
Paul I have it set up both ways thanks to frnash (months ago) Running JDee through Snow central or through vBulletin (which knocks out adds and gives larger screen) either way every post refreshes everytime on Home computer but not on lap top which is set up the standard route of openning JDee central then going to the discussion forum. I suspect 98% of the JDeer's do it this way. It must be a setting on the lap top. I need to fix since the signal strengths and speeds at locations other than home seem to be lacking, unless I am at an internet coffee shop. The refresh time each time and losing signal, etc. can cause up to 5-8 min. delays between posts. This causes conversations to lapse. I will get the kids on it!
FWIW: Using Firefox, I routinely have [URL="http://www.johndee.com/"]John Dee.com ::. Snow Central (http://www.pasty.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-newmessages.cgi) on one tab and JohnDee.com Discussion Board - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.johndee.com/vbulletin/) on another. My only reason for even having Snow Central up at all is for the AlCam, TrailCam, ForecastText, ForecastGraphic, and the Current Journal.

My perusal of the Discussion Board is always via the New Posts feature. (Why do it any other way?)

I also typically have PastyCam: New Messages (http://www.pasty.com/cgi-bin/discus/board-newmessages.cgi) on a third tab, which I always use with the Messages since I last checked for new messages: radio button checked.

Having these three items in separate tabs just makes it easy to toggle back and forth between the three tabs.

(Not that this information makes the slightest bit of difference.)