PDA

View Full Version : Keweenaw Trails Work Session

Administrator
07-25-2010, 06:49 PM
Have been meaning to put this in for a few weeks, but have forgotten.

Anyway, we are having our annual trail brushing and signing get together October 22nd and 23rd (Friday and Saturday). The Lac La Belle Lodge (http://www.pasty.com/lodge/) in Lac La Belle and The Pines (http://www.pinesresort.net/) in Copper Harbor are again offering free lodging to anyone that comes up to help. We also will have free lunches both days and a free dinner Saturday evening. We also usually have some stuff put out for breakfast both days.

No special tools are needed, just a willingness to do some work and have some fun in the woods of the Keweenaw.

Any questions and you can post them here or e mail me.

-John

PS. This year I promise to be in attendance!

gauman2
07-26-2010, 12:17 PM
If you can throw in a plane ticket as well I'm there!

timberledge
07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
John - This is the first year that I am able to help out (and first year I will be able to use the trails). Any other details available yet or should I just check out this event discussion later to find out details like hours and where to meet? Thanks!

Administrator
07-26-2010, 01:47 PM
timberledge-

Good question. I will have the more concrete details as we get closer to the event, but we generally meet up at the Lac La Belle Lodge around 9-9:30 in the morning, get into groups and then head out. So sort of pencil in those details as I doubt they will change much.

-John

Administrator
08-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Just to add to the incentive to come on up and play...er, do a little work in the Keweenaw this October, I am planning on smoking up some briskets and pork shoulders for the Saturday dinner. We'll have burgers and dogs too, plus some other goodies.

-John

techsledder
08-20-2010, 02:30 PM
We have at least two going from our crew! (Maybe four going) How about some more JD'ers? Good time to put a face and name to all those forum folks. We had fun last year, after a hard day's work we sat around shot the s%#t and watched some great sled videos. Owners of the Lac La Belle Lodge and The Pines are really gracious hosts!

qber
09-07-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm planning on making it up for the Keweenaw brushing this year - looking forward to it. Will be helping with the Superior Club brushing in 2 weeks and that's always fun. I'll bring my chain saw- anything else? Ted

Administrator
09-08-2010, 04:34 AM
Hi Ted-

Glad you are planning on making it up for the work session.

A chainsaw will help and nothing else is needed. Anyone else planning to come does not need to bring any special equipment. Bodies are the most important thing!

-John

cuzzinolaf
09-08-2010, 07:31 AM
A chainsaw will help and nothing else is needed. Bodies are the most important thing!

Sounds creepy! Bwahahaha!

:p

thunderstruck88
09-08-2010, 08:13 AM
Hi Ted-

Glad you are planning on making it up for the work session.

A chainsaw will help and nothing else is needed. Anyone else planning to come does not need to bring any special equipment. Bodies are the most important thing!

-John

Wishing I could be there with BIGFOOT and Freddie Scizzorhands ;) have a great and safe clean up and i can smell them briskets alll the way to Buckeye land YUMMY!!! :)

Administrator
09-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Sounds creepy! Bwahahaha!

:p

Well, you know, some of the trails go through some of the most remote land in the UP, so it's always nice to have a few extra bodies in case some go missing. :)

Just joking of course. I guess it would have been better put that people wanting to come do not have to worry about coming empty handed as it is the manpower that is most in need.

Guess I just was not running on both cylinders at 4:30 am. Perhaps a fouled plug.

-John

frnash
09-08-2010, 11:51 AM
And here I thought it was going to be a video followup to the "Mystery of the Paulding Light"!

lenny
09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
And here I thought it was going to be a video followup to the "Mystery of the Paulding Light"!

did someone say "paulding light"?

jr37
09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Any updates?

Administrator
09-30-2010, 02:01 PM
We will be meeting at the Lac La Belle Lodge both Friday and Saturday at around 9:30 am. Will then break up into groups and head out for the day.

Lunches will be provided both days (take along sandwiches to eat out in the bush while working) and dinner on Saturday at the Lodge.

As mentioned, manpower is the most important thing we need. If you want to bring tools such as chain saws, post hole diggers, loppers, that is fine too.

We generally handle all trails from around Delaware north, except for Brockway Mountain Dr, which is still being used as a road at that time.

ATV's are not needed and most persons actually travel around in trucks or SUV's, but you can certainly being ATV's and UTV's.

See you all there. How about a head count so I get an idea of how much brisket and pulled pork to make. :D

-John

jr37
09-30-2010, 02:42 PM
I plan on coming. Got my room at LLB Lodge today. Gonna drive up early Fri. morning, hope to be there by 9.

willey
09-30-2010, 08:28 PM
Planning on coming up Thursday night late. Got our rooms at LLb. So far 3 in our group. Should be a great time again this year. Can't wait for some smoked brisket John!!! Look forward to meeting some more fellow JD'ers.

packerlandrider
10-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Would love to come up and help on Saturday but don't have a ride. Anyone going through Houghton Saturday morning and going back through Saturday evening and willing to give me a ride please let me know. My email is onpackerland@yahoo.com.

timberledge
10-03-2010, 07:59 PM
John,

For your head count, Sherry and I will be at the work sessions for both days; we will have our ATV and tools including a chainsaw. We are coming from the Hermit's Cove area so it is a short run up the road...

Rob Middlemis-Brown

Administrator
10-24-2010, 07:11 AM
A big thanks to everyone that came to help!

We got a ton done again this year and I am really happy that the weather turned out so nice for both days.

It was great to meet everyone and chat at Saturday nights dinner.

I also need to thank (forgot to at the dinner) Ken from the Pines for providing rooms and lunches both days and Troy, Cathy and Dave at Lac La Belle for the rooms they provided as well as being such great hosts for the dinner.

Now all we need to do is wait for the snow to fly!

-John

willey
10-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Thankyou John! Was great to see everyone again and also meet some new folks. Special thanks to Troy and Kathy at LLB lodge for the great cabin and always a warm welcome. Truly a beautiful place.

Best brisket I have ever had John! I hope I can make it up and leave a few turns in the back country this year. Would be awesome to hook up and ride with the group we had at the lodge. Let's see if we can't put a ride together if not maybe a ride during the ride-in weekend.

Once again thanks a ton and what a blast!!!

-Bill

loriwlrc
10-25-2010, 12:26 AM
Ditto on the brisket, maybe your next job will be a chef in your own lodge.It was yummy. Was really nice to visit Nora,Gracie, and all the others that lent a helping hand. Really enjoyed the north end and hope to be able to ride up there this year!

jr37
10-25-2010, 09:12 AM
Good times, good scenery, good food and drinks, and great people!!!!

I had an awesome time!!!!

- Jon

techsledder
10-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Good times, good scenery, good food and drinks, and great people!!!!

I had an awesome time!!!!

- Jon

Hey Jon, do you have any of your pictures to share... I was so busy I forgot to take out my camera! Thanks again for that beer.

As always it great fun up there. Thanks to all who make this event possible. Hardly seems like work with all the good people you get to meet and hang out with! The hospitality of John, Troy, Kathy and Ken is second to none!

jr37
10-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Hey Jon, do you have any of your pictures to share... I was so busy I forgot to take out my camera! Thanks again for that beer.

As always it great fun up there. Thanks to all who make this event possible. Hardly seems like work with all the good people you get to meet and hang out with! The hospitality of John, Troy, Kathy and Ken is second to none!

I only took a few on Sat. evening. I forgot to take it out on the trail. I don't have anything different or better than what John has in his journal.

It would have been a good picture of the tourist standing in the ditch trying to call home. lol

techsledder
10-25-2010, 05:40 PM
It would have been a good picture of the tourist standing in the ditch trying to call home. lol

Ha! Ha! No doubt!