PDA

View Full Version : Deleting old photos on the site

timsuna10
09-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Anyone figure out how to delete old photos on this site? trying to do my part to save bandwidth/storage capacity after the change to the new photos upload process..

Tim

markf419
09-26-2011, 06:46 PM
There certainly is plenty to delete too. Esp in the classifieds. I was just looking at posts w/pics from dec. '09. I could swear that I deleted some of my classifieds before and now I can't figure out how. Is it just me, or has something changed with the new forum layout?

gary_in_neenah
09-29-2011, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure if it's necessary to delete our photos, maybe an Admin could advise. I was able to delete most of mine going all the way back to 2009. Here's the sequence:

click on settings in the upper right corner
click on attachments in the lower left corner, you'll need to scroll down
check box for Attachments Posted in the upper right corner
scroll down and click on the Delete Selected button.

This will delete the whole page or you can choose which attachments/pictures individually. I had about 5 pages of old stuff. There must be a LOT of storage capacity somewhere to handle this many pics.

Gary

lofsfire
10-03-2011, 03:09 PM
I have a few thought and questions:

I have been using a photo hosting site (Google's Picasa) I started using it once we made the switch from the old board to this one and I have to admit, at first I thought it would be a pain but I like that I can have the photos load fill size right in the text and not in a thumbnail at the bottom of my post that you have to click on you see. I make sure I uncheck
Retrieve remote file and reference locally at least I think this is the right way to do it. Do the Moderator's have any suggestions to what is best?
(https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dDeqFMDiNmEjS5e8lMJJUA?feat=embedwebsite)
This seems like it would be the best to me, b/c it should not use up any data storage for John and gives us full control of if a picture is available for viewing or not. If you do not want it seen just remove it from your account and it will remove it from the web wherever you have posted it.

Am I on the right track here?

Administrator
10-04-2011, 06:26 AM
There really is no need to delete images. Server space is quite huge these days and the pics really do not take up much room.

I will look into setting things up on the classifieds to have posts automatically delete after 90 days with no activity.

-John