PDA

View Full Version : Odd forum behavior on "New Posts"

frnash
10-20-2012, 02:19 PM
As is my regular practice, I review new messages by use of the "New Posts" link in the menu at the top of the forum. This morning, however, I encountered a rather strange behavior:

Upon reaching the bottom of the first page of new messages, I find this:

No surprise there, as that is typically what I see when there are more than a single page of new messages, but clicking on either the "2" or the right arrow "►" to advance to the next page, I get this:

Okay, so where did the other 28 messages that were supposed to be on the second page go?

whitedust
10-20-2012, 02:42 PM
Same thing here & I saw some spammish garbage posts that seem to have been deleted.

dcsnomo
10-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Big splatter o' spam this morning

Administrator
10-20-2012, 08:40 PM
Yea. I took the pups for the morning walk before heading out for the work session this morning and in the 25 minutes I was gone, 38 spam posts were put up. I banned the profile and then Nora and some other mods got the spam posts off quickly. You did not miss much. Just posts that made absolutely no sense.

I guess I just don't get the auto spammers. Do they really think what they do is effective? Like someone is going to click through to their links? I know when I see it on the board, or get one through e mail, it goes into the trash or quarantine immediately and never gets any more attention than that. Seems like a total waste of time and effort, unless there are those that actually click through.

-John

whitedust
10-20-2012, 08:58 PM
John I saw that & reported member to dcsnomo. Odd thing is the spammer hung around as member online for awhile not sure why? Stuff they post is total garbage no interest at all to JD membership.

Paul
10-20-2012, 09:28 PM
I deleted 82 posts from the spammer, and banned the user. Once banned I don't believe it stops them from logging on as a member, they just can't post. I checked the logs this morning and in the past 24 hours over 1000 spam users tried to register. Looks like the amount of spammers trying to register is increasing quite a bit.

whitedust
10-21-2012, 10:39 AM
I deleted 82 posts from the spammer, and banned the user. Once banned I don't believe it stops them from logging on as a member, they just can't post. I checked the logs this morning and in the past 24 hours over 1000 spam users tried to register. Looks like the amount of spammers trying to register is increasing quite a bit.

YIKES what a PITA!!!!!! :(