PDA

View Full Version : Potty Mouth

blkhwkbob
02-03-2018, 03:04 PM
A few weeks ago, I had the word "damn" flagged by a moderator as "potty mouth." That's nothing to what's going on now by just changing a letter in the word. Maybe I should have said, "Damn, that mosquito bar is great" and it would have been ok.

dfattack
02-03-2018, 03:26 PM
I noticed the same thing. The normal troublemakers who tend to argue about everything are the same ones to introduce language I haven't seen on this site.

frnash
02-03-2018, 05:10 PM
I noticed the same thing. The normal troublemakers who tend to argue about everything are the same ones to introduce language I haven't seen on this site.
Yup. Some (very few) folks here just got
for this "family friendly" site!
(Who turned smilies off here?)

Willh
02-06-2018, 06:59 PM
I cuss left and right.

SLED_DOCTOR
02-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Just remember:. " Cussing & swearing is the language of the inarticulate!"

frnash
02-08-2018, 10:25 PM
Just remember:. " Cussing & swearing is the language of the inarticulate!"That sounds accurate to me; seems to fit! (Enter wicked smiley here.)

Johnnylaw
02-09-2018, 08:37 AM

Yep me too. Seems like special treatment for those few special members.

Administrator
02-09-2018, 08:47 AM
Sorry if it seems that way. I know for me it is a thin line to walk between over-moderating and not doing enough. I try to be consistent, but it's a moving target. I am sure the other mods feel the same way.

No special treatment from me though. I hate you all the same ! :)

dfattack
02-09-2018, 10:03 AM
Yep me too. Seems like special treatment for those few special members.

I don't believe there is special treatment on here. I was not insinuating that in any way. I have seen some language occur that I don't think would have happened years ago. I honestly don't think its a matter of less moderation, but more like there are less respectful people here than before. Could be just me but that is what i think.

snobuilder
02-09-2018, 01:07 PM
My Damnears are burning.

700classic
02-09-2018, 07:41 PM
Damnears? Is that kinda like Legioneers?
My Damnears are burning.

chords
02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Not special treatment , the bar has been set lower. By posters who think they are street wise but are not very social wise on a keyboard and prob even less in person.

EXCESSIVE FORCE
02-16-2018, 10:46 AM
I don't believe there is special treatment on here. I was not insinuating that in any way. I have seen some language occur that I don't think would have happened years ago. I honestly don't think its a matter of less moderation, but more like there are less respectful people here than before. Could be just me but that is what i think.

Agreed !!

gary_in_neenah
02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
This got me thinking...I've been a member on JohnDee for a long time. I think I came aboard in 07 or thereabouts. Anyone know when it first went up? Maybe John could tell us.

Anyways, my point is over the years there's almost always been a "fire starter" i.e. sarcastic, questionable attitudes towards other posters, etc. I won't mention names but we've always had the lurkers who would blow things up just to get a rise out of somebody. I think the Mods were a bit more controlling in the past but it's still a good sight to report, opine, and learn from. Also there's a feature in Settings that you can block particular members and thus their comments will never see the light of day on your computer.

Administrator
02-20-2018, 12:00 PM
This got me thinking...I've been a member on JohnDee for a long time. I think I came aboard in 07 or thereabouts. Anyone know when it first went up? Maybe John could tell us.

Anyways, my point is over the years there's almost always been a "fire starter" i.e. sarcastic, questionable attitudes towards other posters, etc. I won't mention names but we've always had the lurkers who would blow things up just to get a rise out of somebody. I think the Mods were a bit more controlling in the past but it's still a good sight to report, opine, and learn from. Also there's a feature in Settings that you can block particular members and thus their comments will never see the light of day on your computer.

The site itself started in 1998, yep, coming up on the 20th year anniversary this autumn! As for the discussion board, I am not sure. I do know that it started out as "Ask John", where folks could post questions to me about the weather, but not specific forecasts. I believe that was sometime in 2002 or 2003. Then a year or two later, I added the other topics and it became a legit discussion board.

As for the nature of some of the posts, I really try hard to stick to my rules. There are grey areas at times, which makes it difficult and can also give the appearance that there is favoritism, but I promise, all are treated the same by me on this board. I have pulled some posts from some very good friends of mine!

If there is a particular person or persons that really annoy someone, then I suggest as Gary said to just block them in your settings. I know I used to fall into the trap of letting them bug me, but with practice, I have been able to just chuckle at them...either because they are really quite humorous or stupid. Bottom line is, no matter what gets said in here, life goes on!

-John