Thread: Houghton area

Default Houghton area

Is there still any trails worth driving 8 hours to ride? I have the next 3 days off, and haven't ridden hardly any miles at all this year. Will be by myself in case someone else is jonesn' for some more seat time.
    Thanks

Anything north of calumet should still be in pretty much perfect condition. Left sunday and all the trails on the island were in awsome condition minus a few roads. Warm there today but cools off right away so it won't put much of a dent in the ridiculous base they have. Could be very low traffic with the holiday so scratchers might be a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by tack836 View Post
    Anything north of calumet should still be in pretty much perfect condition. Left sunday and all the trails on the island were in awsome condition minus a few roads. Warm there today but cools off right away so it won't put much of a dent in the ridiculous base they have. Could be very low traffic with the holiday so scratchers might be a good idea.
    Thanks for the update. I will head to Calumet then, and try to find a cheap place to stay. Any cheap hotels to look for?
    Thanks
    Last edited by catalac; 03-28-2018 at 08:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by catalac View Post
    Thanks for the update. I will head to Calumet then, and try to find a cheap place to stay. Any cheap hotels to look for?
    Thanks

I think its called the White House . maybe in Ahmeek
    Trail 132 in Lac la bel is closed (logging) no signage stating so. I tried taking it with wanting to continue south to Gay. MISTAKE. got into gay and back on 124.

Not sure on cheap hotels we usually stay at trailside $90 a night or Centennial Cottages $110 a night. If you are wanting to go to gay and not double back on 124 then take 122 into gay. There is a 1/4 to 1/2 mile road stretch that is bad but the rest was in geat condition.

Someone has a Facebook Page with trail reports. It is VERY good and updated daily. Not sure who it is, but thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/KeweenawTrailReports/

-John

Just did a little more digging and it is Lisa Hentz Roller that is doing the site. Never met her, but I do know she is a VERY regular visitor to the area!

Thanks Lisa!

Quote Originally Posted by catalac View Post
    Is there still any trails worth driving 8 hours to ride? I have the next 3 days off, and haven't ridden hardly any miles at all this year. Will be by myself in case someone else is jonesn' for some more seat time.
    Thanks
    Should be able to ride out of Houghton on trail 3. Stay at the Ramada or the Super 8 (ride across the channel and get on behind Dollar Bay Motorsports) and get on the trail fast.
    I am thinking of coming up Good Friday if the 52 degree weather on Thursday doesn't wreak havoc.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    Should be able to ride out of Houghton on trail 3. Stay at the Ramada or the Super 8 (ride across the channel and get on behind Dollar Bay Motorsports) and get on the trail fast.
    I am thinking of coming up Good Friday if the 52 degree weather on Thursday doesn't wreak havoc.

Bear
    I was there 21st-24th.
    Trail 3 along the channel was starting to deteriorate. Warm weather this week is most likely going to really take a toll. The road crossings were getting really bad. The mud and gravel at roads was several sled lengths long at minimum. Once you got past all the road crossings, it got pretty good. But the Snow was losing its "packability" so not sure if trails will hold up long after groomer passes.
    I would recommend staying Calumet and north.
    Trail 17 north of the bridge (Hancock) was several blocks of bare sidewalk. Once north of town it got good

The stretch of trail 15 visible from the highway south of Chassell (low snow country) still looked great this afternoon.

New snow and cold in the forecast from Friday through the weekend should give groomers something to pack right on up to putting the equipment away on April 1st. Even after they stop grooming, with so little traffic the trails often hold their smoothness until they melt. A few years ago when we had that fantastic April weather I remember riding "very good" sections of trails that hadn't seen a groomer in 2-3 weeks.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post

Bear
    Only supposed to have a high of 30 tomorrow. After tonight there isn't a temp above 35 in the seven day forecast.

White House motel in Mohawk. There is a webcam there and there is a link to their website on the webcam page

Moral of the story is go ride your sled.