Default Evers Wants Trail Signs Removed

Governor Evers wants all private establishment signs removed from snowmobile,ATV trails you know those nice brown metal signs that have been up for 50 years. Evers says those signs are on state land without permission. Imo this is stupid and dangerous and will kill business that depends on trail riders.

Just another stupid move to destroy more small businesses. The tavern league is recommending everyone to ignore his limited capacity mandate, as most sheriff departments arenít enforcing it anyways. Just this morons way of retaliation. The guy needs to go.

Ya everytime I think about how stupid the MN governor is I just pause and think about how bad WI and MI have it. That trail sign story I read last night and almost spit my hotdish out saying ARE YOU FN KIDDING ME!! Those signs have been there for 50-60 years. The all out assault on small business' is horrible. Wish I could sign the recall petition!!!

Quote Originally Posted by indy_500 View Post
    Just another stupid move to destroy more small businesses. The tavern league is recommending everyone to ignore his limited capacity mandate, as most sheriff departments aren’t enforcing it anyways. Just this morons way of retaliation. The guy needs to go.
    Well said Indy. There is a recall petition for Evers so he knows he’s out just a matter of time and money. BUT to punish small business and the trail riding public is mean spirited and will help cement his removal from office. I’m still not confident Whitmer will allow snowmobiling in MI just like she prohibited boating in the Spring due to Covid. It’s worrisome what theses politicians do saying they are protecting us from Covid. Whitmer is more believable than Evers. Evers actions are about revenge no other reasonable answer for sign removal.

unfortunately these restrictions, mandates, BS laws will be implemented on a federal scale in about 3 months.

Just out of curiosity, does the Corona virus live in 10 below temps?? Or say zero for that matter? Understand the bars might pose a problem but riding outside in winter.......not seeing the threat but could be wrong

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Well said Indy. There is a recall petition for Evers so he knows he’s out just a matter of time and money. BUT to punish small business and the trail riding public is mean spirited and will help cement his removal from office. I’m still not confident Whitmer will allow snowmobiling in MI just like she prohibited boating in the Spring due to Covid. It’s worrisome what theses politicians do saying they are protecting us from Covid. Whitmer is more believable than Evers. Evers actions are about revenge no other reasonable answer for sign removal.
    I passed around a recall sheet at work a few weeks ago and sent them in. Wasn’t a single person I could find that didn’t want to sign it. Looking at it from an unbiased point of view I can’t pick out one positive thing that’s come of his time in office. His mishandling of Kenosha was very disheartening and I feel for the people who had their homes and businesses destroyed from riots.

Its no surprise they pull this out of their axxes this year - I hope the clubs and small business owners just ignore it. Anyone working for the DNR over there should do the same.

We've been told in MN there are no changes coming down the crack pipe from the DNR to anything concerning snowmobile season... This year.

The State DNR, told all the clubs to remove signs two years ago. Forest Service has removed signs four years ago, there reasoning was to keep the forest natural. In both cases they turned a blind eye to the thought of providing directions to local services. Obviously they don't understand Tourism!

Not to say we here in MN. don't do a good job on our trails but that is one thing about WI. I have kinda been jealous of. They have always had great signage as to mileage to and directions to the next establishment. We have been catching up with our little blue signs with mileage to, but not naming those places. It seems that if the name of the place is on a map and you look at a sign with that name on it the way to it seems MUCH more clear. Besides how are the hunters going to site in their rifles?????

There is a law from 1964 that states no signs for private businesses can be on state land? Ok does that mean all signs on the side of highways must be removed? Makes about as much sense as removing Bridge Ahead signs.

Kip,
    Thanks to you I just spit an Italian beef sandwich on my monitors. It was worth it.

Upside is there is very little "state-owned" land in WI, so not much where the signs would have to come down. Note that I've not read the order or recommendation to see if it only applies to State land.

Glad to help moose We all need a good laugh once in awhile in a country that is getting too serious. Laughter is the best medicine! You made me laugh in turn!

Quote Originally Posted by indy_500 View Post
    I passed around a recall sheet at work a few weeks ago and sent them in. Wasn’t a single person I could find that didn’t want to sign it. Looking at it from an unbiased point of view I can’t pick out one positive thing that’s come of his time in office. His mishandling of Kenosha was very disheartening and I feel for the people who had their homes and businesses destroyed from riots.
    indy_500, the recall was brought by me and was ALL TOO HAPPY TO SIGN!! but haven't heard anymore on progress

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by latner View Post
    Funny to see everyone pissing and moaning about the blue governors, elections have consequences
    and honestly I am starting to get worried about this one

I cant believe with all the other BS going on in this state that we would even have a moment to dwell on something so frivolous, just blows my mind!! hopefully and I mean HOPEFULLY this moron is one and done!!

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

So, how does that work? We have State Trails (funded) on private land. If you're in a State Forest it's all state, but on private land how far from the trail is signage permissible? Are they telling us we can't put signs up on our own property?

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    So, how does that work? We have State Trails (funded) on private land. If you're in a State Forest it's all state, but on private land how far from the trail is signage permissible? Are they telling us we can't put signs up on our own property?
    The law in question only applies to state-owned land. Not that they (he) can't spin it to mean something more.

These signs only need to be removed on state owned land. But, I wouldn't worry about it. The DNR should have more important things to do than worry about a few signs. If our club's trails crossed any state land I don't think we would take any down. If the DNR is out checking to see if a few signs are not right, they have their priorities messed up. Nothing should change, leave the signs up and wait to see if they say anything.

Part of the charm in some of these areas is the establishments. Sometimes you have to ride a area a few times before you even find some of the places, even with signs. I bet if these signs were on say a dedicated bike trail they would not be worried. What is wrong with just leaving things alone?

Evers is PO'ed at the tavern league for suing over the mandates. Thats all this is about.

Quote Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
    Evers is PO'ed at the tavern league for suing over the mandates. Thats all this is about.

x10000

I believe the state leases the land between the trail signs from the land owner for a specific amount of time. I do not know if that would qualify it to be considered state owned. Hopefully we can come up with a solution and only waste a few million tax payers dollars.

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

This a lame duck governor that has very little to do and keep himself busy. The DNR must hate this guy, he actually told them that they had to wear their masks during Zoom calls, that will stop the virus!

We have no plans to remove our signs, have a good relationship with our local DNR guy so will ask him next time we talk to see what he says.

Quote Originally Posted by united View Post
    There is a law from 1964 that states no signs for private businesses can be on state land? Ok does that mean all signs on the side of highways must be removed? Makes about as much sense as removing Bridge Ahead signs.

In Mich the signs have to be permitted and the state keeps a record of all signs.................

If that’s how you feel start a recall exit her. That’s what is happening to Evers.
    There's already a recall movement, and I plan to sign.

Signing a recall petition? Make sure you are not on State land when signing... or it may not be valid. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    These signs only need to be removed on state owned land. But, I wouldn't worry about it. The DNR should have more important things to do than worry about a few signs. If our club's trails crossed any state land I don't think we would take any down. If the DNR is out checking to see if a few signs are not right, they have their priorities messed up. Nothing should change, leave the signs up and wait to see if they say anything.
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by russholio View Post
    There's already a recall movement, and I plan to sign.
    Excellent send her a message if nothing else.

Just saw on FB the Awsc will not be removing any snowmobile trails signs this year and will work with the DNR to resolve Evers mandate. Nobody is rushing off to remove signs no matter what Evers thinks. A dumb idea is a dumb idea. Lol

Just saw on FB the Awsc will not be removing any snowmobile trails signs this year and will work with the DNR to resolve Evers mandate. Nobody is rushing off to remove signs no matter what Evers thinks. A dumb idea is a dumb idea. Lol
    Good to hear. But I agree with you ... a dumb idea is a dumb idea. I think the DNR needs to push back. If all establishment signs need to be pulled from state land, then how would that be different than a state highway sign pointing you to a McDonalds or Kwik Trip at every exit along the freeway?

That's great news.

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    This a lame duck governor that has very little to do and keep himself busy. The DNR must hate this guy, he actually told them that they had to wear their masks during Zoom calls, that will stop the virus!

We have no plans to remove our signs, have a good relationship with our local DNR guy so will ask him next time we talk to see what he says.
    Exactly, caught a bit of news the other night, some 16 year olds are being prosecuted for poaching, and the DNR warden was in his house doing the interview, with a mask on. Dumbest thing I've seen yet, well besides MWP driving in his car with his mask on.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

A little off topic, but to comment on what Skylar said about the DNR wearing a mask inside...I was supposed to get an appraisal done on my house in Illinois this morning. The appraiser, before introducing himself or saying hi stood outside my front door and told me to put a mask on and my wife would have to leave the home while he was inside. I told him I did mind, so he told me "then I can't come in" and turned around and left. That's his choice, but I was wondering if he asks Wal Mart or Home depot to empty out before he goes to shop?? These people on the left have collectively lost their minds...literally. They aren't thinking straight.

Let me get this straight. You need your house appraised for whatever reason. Some stranger comes to your house to provide the service at their own choosing and tells you to wear a mask and your wife to leave!? Did I get this straight?

Quote Originally Posted by xsledder View Post
    Let me get this straight. You need your house appraised for whatever reason. Some stranger comes to your house to provide the service at their own choosing and tells you to wear a mask and your wife to leave!? Did I get this straight?
    Exactly

Darren: I have been remodeling for a year now and when we got estimates for exterior work in Spring it broke out 50-50 that would come in and sit down and discuss business to those that didn’t want to come in and conducted business outside. So at this point in the pandemic Im used to social distancing and those that are just plain petrified of the disease. I just rolled and adjusted to changing social styles. Asking my wife to leave is totally rectal lol who the heck do they think I sleep with and trade spit with?? That’s freakin crazy!

Pullllleaze.....................People are dying.........how are they doing a good job?? Blood is on their hands.....please save me!

That's what they say about pres right.......if shoe fits I guess.

Me.....I prefer to make my own decisions on my own safety. Don't want get sick......stay home......pretty simple.

All these people that want the government to save them or run their life there is plenty of government run countries to choose from.........I hear Comiefornia is nice.
    Have stepdaughter and husband that live in Singapore....they love it.....not so much now that they can't leave.

Me I choose LAND OF Free..........AMERICA.

Yay Merica!
    My employees and I are having zero customer contact until this virus thing is resolved. And we've NEVER been busier. If one of our crew gets sick, both my customers AND my business is screwed. Customers order by phone, pay by C/C and pick up their stuff behind plexiglass. For deliveries, we leave their materials in their shed, trailer, or they'll give us the code to their shop door. If that hurts someone's bitty feelings, they can pay for commercial shipping or take their business elsewhere.
    Whine, divide, deflect, blame others, OR, adapt and work together to get this thing in check. Either way works for me. But yeah, this is definitely a political thread. And the next time we're up north, I'll be sure to have my young granddaughter stop in and have someone explain what liking it in the a** means.

So you figured out how to run your business safely all on your own or did you call governor??
    What about your crew, do you lock them up for the night to keep them safe or do you let them make their own life choices?

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    Yay Merica!
    My employees and I are having zero customer contact until this virus thing is resolved. And we've NEVER been busier. If one of our crew gets sick, both my customers AND my business is screwed. Customers order by phone, pay by C/C and pick up their stuff behind plexiglass. For deliveries, we leave their materials in their shed, trailer, or they'll give us the code to their shop door. If that hurts someone's bitty feelings, they can pay for commercial shipping or take their business elsewhere.
    Whine, divide, deflect, blame others, OR, adapt and work together to get this thing in check. Either way works for me. But yeah, this is definitely a political thread. And the next time we're up north, I'll be sure to have my young granddaughter stop in and have someone explain what liking it in the a** means.
    So what else can you do to prevent Covid spread? Why blame anyone it’s an air spread virus and what your doing is pretty much standard here in Racine County. Imo adapt and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by eagle1 View Post
    So you figured out how to run your business safely all on your own or did you call governor??
    What about your crew, do you lock them up for the night to keep them safe or do you let them make their own life choices?
    So clever. I believe I've heard your same comeback on talk radio. Am I right? My employees implemented the changes. Again, we can work together, do the bare minimum, or not. Hows that been working out? New cases just reached a new high yesterday. Other countries totally closed down for a few months, now they've opened back up.

Yes.....Opened back up and cases climbing again. Closing didn't stop it.
    I'm all for businesses doing what they can/want. I'm not in favor of government telling your business only 10 people can do business with you not 100.

I am looking at the latest (2019) DNR Trail Signing handbook:

- Informational signs may be placed on the trail by trailside businesses, but these signs must conform to the standard, color and shape.

Guide Signs
    Guide signs are used to direct the rider to a destination on the trail. They should
    be placed at decision points along the trail such as intersections and trailheads.
    These signs must have a reflectorized white legend on a brown background.
    When indicated, mileage figures should be calculated as accurately as possible
    to the nearest mile. Arrows used to show direction on these signs may point in
    any direction.
    The use of guide signs to direct trail users to gas stations, resorts,
    restaurants and other trailside businesses is helpful, but the number of signs
    for this purpose should be kept reasonable.

To actual topic, AWSC did release a statement.

https://m.facebook.com/1058885627991...6451913076091/

To actual topic, AWSC did release a statement.

https://m.facebook.com/1058885627991...6451913076091/
    Relevant statement from AWSC from above link:

it’s just a misunderstanding between one person and one property manager. We will be discussing this further at the AWSC Directors Meeting this weekend.

Exactly what I was thinking. No way to isolate yourself in our society. Maybe at work, but once you head home...no way. How the heck do they eat? live off their land? doubt it.

Per AWSC:
    They were pretty disappointed with the social media blow up. A lot of people shared this without doing research, and was blown way out of proportional. Everyone jumped to attack Governor and DNR.
    This was blown way out of proportion and stemmed from a poorly written letter from legislator. This happened with one specific club member on the Bearskin trail. That one specific location is only being moved. There are no other signs being moved!
    If you read the DNR response, they even state that. The legislator letter made is seem like all of northwoods was being removed!
    AWSC, DNR and Tourism will work together to get a solution.

Quote Originally Posted by scoot View Post
    So clever. I believe I've heard your same comeback on talk radio. Am I right? My employees implemented the changes. Again, we can work together, do the bare minimum, or not. Hows that been working out? New cases just reached a new high yesterday. Other countries totally closed down for a few months, now they've opened back up.

Positive tests don't mean deaths.

A good portion of positive tests aren't even true so it's impossible to believe the hype of "the second wave". EVERYDAY I hear about people testing positive who don't even get tested. I have employees who test positive and based on current guidelines I would have to lose a big portion of my staff, but when I have them get tested a second time the next day they test negative. When someone test positive I'm supposed to not allow anyone who was within 6 feet of them over an accumulated time of 15 minutes during a shift. If effects many staff members. Its nice to see almost all of them just want to work and all immediately want to go get tested so they can come back to work. It's unbelievable how much work and organization goes into "false testing" and media and many government officials aren't questioning the testing. We have learned a lot since March and this not a big deal for 99% of our population. Seniors, people with existing conditions are of course susceptible. that's it.

Midwest it's my opinion and I don't expect everyone to like or agree with me. My son is a senior and obviously I do not agree with her decisions as many more do not as well. He's missing out on everything a high school senior should not miss out on. I respect people's opinions but I have my own as well. She's also hurt many businesses in the U.P. and what's good for highly populated areas doesn't mean it's good for the U.P. We constantly get hosed in the U.P. and it's a totally different way of life than the lower peninsula. If they're ugly on the inside they're ugly on the outside as well. Agree to disagree. I can live with that just fine.
    Last edited by kip; 10-26-2020 at 12:34 PM.

Furthermore, our governor has done nothing but point fingers. Do your job please. So you cry you need more money from the feds. Really? I just assumed we didn't need money in Michigan since our state employees got to work Monday through Thursday and then take a mandatory layoff for Friday just to receive full unemployment benefits! Really? All I can say is whoa! That is fact, I have a excellent childhood friend who's wife works for the state. Oh, but wait it gets better, who didn't get that mandatory layoff with benefits, that's right Michigan State Police who actually deserve it if anyone does. I wonder how many businesses get that luxury?

They are mot naming the place because the place has zero to do with it in MN . That is its own deal the raffle calenders you buy from club guys selling for MN USA pay for those bluse signs.
    Now map adds and the polaris app the establishment pays for those. Most of the time the add space sold payer for the map printing and the polaris app is a upsurge nothing but profit for the club cost us Jack but a email .
    Scre the gov if he wants them off he can send the state workers out to do the job and have them brush the trail as long as they are at it.