Default Change oil in new push mower after one use?

Hello. (If this post isn't a fit for this message board, please feel free to delete!)

I purchased a new Honda push mower and plan to use it for the first time this weekend to chew up leaves. This will be the only time I will use it this year. Should the oil be changed before I use the mower again next spring? (This is probably a silly question, but this is the first lawn mower I've ever purchased.)

Thank you.

this is one of them questions that comes down to what YOU think is needed
    some folks almost never change there oil and some folks like to change it often
    some folks like to change oil after use, and call it like break in oil change\ some DON"T think its needed
    BOTH sides have had good long lasting motors , changing often and NOT
    many folks also think condensation is a reason to change oil and some DON"T
    again, both sides have done it THEER way and have had luck, and sure a few out there that didn't!

I would base this on what YOU feel needs doing, and go with it!
    Oil ain't that costly, so if changing makes you feel better change it

if NOT changing it makes you happy DON"T change it LOL

one use , not needed, where stored>? is condensation a real worry, WHO know's?
    again your call, do what makes you feel best! is my 2 cents here!

The reason they suggest to change it after one use is because of the possibility of dirt or contaminants upon assembly, and all of the moving metal parts that “break in” on the units first time of use. From storing anything for an extended period of time, there’s a high possibility of condensation. If it were me, I’d use it, wash it up and park it for the winter, and change it in the spring. That way you kill two birds with one stone.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

I would leave it. Maybe drain the gas and let the engine run until it's dry but the oil will be fine for next year. Like the man said, "do what makes you happy."

Oil should be changed after the first 5 hours of use, this is the period where the most wear will occur, all of the machining marks, piston ring wear and set in will end up in the oil, this will be the most critical oil change you can do but will your mower fail, blow up or wear out if you don't? likely not. This is just the time everything seats in and as said all the machining marks wear in and get into the oil. One other key note and I believe Honda's recommendation is the same but Honda did not recommend using synthetic oils in their engines, when changing the oil be sure to use a small engine oil, doesn't matter if it is Briggs, Honda, Kohler etc... as long as it is small engine oil, automotive oil no longer has zinc in it which is a wear additive, small engine oil still fortified with zinc. Automotive oil also has a much lower boil point than small engine oil. Some manufacturers have engines that they say "never have to change the oil, just add" I don't buy or follow this for one minute, change your oil, and that initial one is probably the best one you will ever do.

change it for peace of mind, only holds 20 oz. oil cost $3.

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

And then there's this; the John Deere 30 second Oil Change. The new oil comes inside the oversized filter but it looks like you're only changing some of the oil, not all of it. No mess, fast, but pricey at 40 bucks a pop. Don't know about that one....

My dad bought a YardMan riding mower back in I think 1992 or 1993 - mowed the yard once with it and replaced the oil, and never changed it again. He died in 2014 so yeah, 21 years on the same oil. Can't make it up.

Thanks everyone! My plan is to change the oil in the spring. It seems like the risk of damage/problems is low if I don't change the oil, but it's pretty easy to do and it's cheap.

Thanks again.

Whenever you change it... dispose of it responsibly... Thank you!

What does the owners manual say?

from my experience with Honda ATV's
    they too don't recommend using syn oil till after I think something like 50 hours of use, there logic seems to be, they want everything to be seated really well before you go to a better ,possibly thinner oil
    but like everything else, I know folks that switch to Syn on first oil change and never have any issues with thousands of miles and hundreds of hours on there Honda's
    like most things, it pretty easy to over think things like this, I also think many oil company's and marketing add's , have us TRAINED to waste good oil and buy more! along with many other things! HAHA!

Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    they too don't recommend using syn oil till after I think something like 50 hours of use, there logic seems to be, they want everything to be seated really well before you go to a better ,possibly thinner oil
    but like everything else, I know folks that switch to Syn on first oil change and never have any issues with thousands of miles and hundreds of hours on there Honda's
    like most things, it pretty easy to over think things like this, I also think many oil company's and marketing add's , have us TRAINED to waste good oil and buy more! along with many other things! HAHA!
    Engine oil is of course primarily intended to reduce friction between the various moving parts in your engine.

Super synthetic vs. "garden variety" engine oil:
    I've heard it said that during the break-in period you actually do not want the very best anti-friction oil chemistry, 'cuz it's the early friction that will get the microscopic manufacturing imperfections of the various parts initially honed, polished and "well seated". At least this was true with recently overhauled aircraft engines. FWIW.
    Last edited by frnash; 11-03-2020 at 08:03 PM.

Bought me a Honda HRN216 about 2 months ago. Everything about it is great all but the bagger. Changed the oil in it tonight with about 7 hours on it. I recommend changing the oil.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

I still run my pickup to the dealer every 3000 miles for an oil change. They check everything else over in addition to the oil change. They catch things like leaky seals and CV joints and other underneath stuff that I no longer want to be paying attention to. Worth it for me. Also even full synth breaks down and will burn just as good as cheap oil on an older motor.

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    I still run my pickup to the dealer every 3000 miles for an oil change. They check everything else over in addition to the oil change. They catch things like leaky seals and CV joints and other underneath stuff that I no longer want to be paying attention to. Worth it for me. Also even full synth breaks down and will burn just as good as cheap oil on an older motor.
    don't get me wrong here folks, I am a guy that maybe changes oil TOO often,(been known to change oil on ATV several times a summer bases on use, not hours or miles or age), have always felt oil and grease was cheaper than motor drive train work!
    , so, I wasn't suggestion I or anyone else NOT change it or the likes
    I was just saying
    I do think many oil company's and marketing have lad many to feel they HAVE to change oil when maybe they really don't

I have a Ram with a diesel in it, and it requires oil changed every 6 months or 15,000 miles, to NOT void the warranty on it
    even if IT sits ALL yr, it still requires oil changing
    which IMO< is BS, but to play the game if you wish, its part of the deal!

I cannot see how oil will go bad sitting in a truck motor past 6 months, or even when oil /motor only has a few miles or hours of use on it
    But again, that's what the motor requirement is on it to KEEP warranty intact, and at the price of new motors and who know's what that warranty might be needed for, its a smaller price to pay I guess,
    I however do think it might be over kill! pending use of motor!
    I have managed farms where farmers have NOT changed oil for YRS and I mean 10-20+ yrs on some things and they ran flawlessly
    they are braver than I am to risk things, but when you DON"T have the funding, you cut corners and some times you win, some times you get burned!

The Synthetic Oil Myth -- Then there is the myth that new engine break-in will not occur with synthetic oils. This one was apparently started by an aircraft engine manufacturer who put out a bulletin that said so. The fact is that Mobil 1 synthetic oil has been the factory-fill for many thousands of Corvette (and Cadillac) engines. Clearly, they have broken in quite well, and proof that the myth is just that, a myth propagated by the internet.

don't get me wrong here folks, I am a guy that maybe changes oil TOO often,(been known to change oil on ATV several times a summer bases on use, not hours or miles or age), have always felt oil and grease was cheaper than motor drive train work!
    , so, I wasn't suggestion I or anyone else NOT change it or the likes
    I was just saying
    I do think many oil company's and marketing have lad many to feel they HAVE to change oil when maybe they really don't

I have a Ram with a diesel in it, and it requires oil changed every 6 months or 15,000 miles, to NOT void the warranty on it
    even if IT sits ALL yr, it still requires oil changing
    which IMO< is BS, but to play the game if you wish, its part of the deal!

I cannot see how oil will go bad sitting in a truck motor past 6 months, or even when oil /motor only has a few miles or hours of use on it
    But again, that's what the motor requirement is on it to KEEP warranty intact, and at the price of new motors and who know's what that warranty might be needed for, its a smaller price to pay I guess,
    I however do think it might be over kill! pending use of motor!
    I have managed farms where farmers have NOT changed oil for YRS and I mean 10-20+ yrs on some things and they ran flawlessly
    they are braver than I am to risk things, but when you DON"T have the funding, you cut corners and some times you win, some times you get burned!
    mrbb, agree completely, I am also one who changes all too often, I am a big fan of synthetics, with exception to non filtered small capacity systems ( just my opinion ) but vehicles, boats, sleds (injection) yes and I still change them at regular intervals not at the extended as suggested by manufacturer, waste of money?? probably, but piece of mind for me. As far as oil needing to be changed even if it sits, its my understanding that used oil can become acidic over time as it sits, not sure if that is true or not. And you hear stories and I see it in my shop as well of people who never change oil, might work for them, but not this guy, oil is cheap, failures as result of lack of lubrication generally aren't, Ill keep changing.

Let’s get back to the basics here.

Oil is Good.
    No oil is Bad.

I change oil way often myself. My 17 can am Outlander had 800 miles on it when sold. I had changed the oil 5 times. It was also greased every ride it saw deep water and mud. Every two trail riding outings.
    I can wrap my head around dino oil breaking down, just because of time. But synthetics I think are much more stabil. Hence the annual oils now produced by Mobil and others. I'm sure they can become acidic, from use in combustion motors, but again not as quickly as natural oils?
    Probably wasting some money on excessive oil changes, but as stated. Oil is cheap compared to motor issues.

Who knew a push mower could get so deep? Dirty oil contains particles. When you put an engine into storage it's dirty oil contacting the moving parts like crank, rod bearings etc. Some extended life oil changes are due to laws which vary state to state. Many late model vehicles especially those with variable timing are very prone to expensive trouble. A proper spec oil and timely oil changes are very important for them! if you have a European car their version of API is ACEA.

I think I changed the oil once on the first Honda mower I had for 16 years. The deck started rusting away (ran hard, put away wet, stored in a damp barn) but that motor always, always started on one pull. I finally replaced it with the same mower, but with a composite deck.
    I have a hard enough time keeping the oil changes on my five road vehicles on schedule, never mind mowers, snowblowers, mini Zs etc. If only they could invent some way of just adding a special awesome smelling oil into a reservoir that would magically mix with the gas, never needing to change and dispose of used motor oil again.

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    Hello. (If this post isn't a fit for this message board, please feel free to delete!)

I purchased a new Honda push mower and plan to use it for the first time this weekend to chew up leaves. This will be the only time I will use it this year. Should the oil be changed before I use the mower again next spring? (This is probably a silly question, but this is the first lawn mower I've ever purchased.)

Thank you.
    If you bought a cordless electric mower you wouldn't have this mess. No oil, and no disposal problems, and no wasted time on maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Player View Post
    If you bought a cordless electric mower you wouldn't have this mess. No oil, and no disposal problems, and no wasted time on maintenance.
    Some people have way too much grass for that.

Why do you troll here so often? Is your life really that empty?

So how much can your amazing cordless lawn mower mow at a time? If we get a chance to mow here it's go time. So how many acres can it do at a crack?

lol. Yes, this is quite the mess I've gotten myself into

I agree, hopefully they can get long range electric cars soon. I always end up spilling oil and antifreeze in the driveway when I do maintenance. Gravel soaks it up before I can get it cleaned up.

this is a snowmobile site...doubt he's worried about getting his hands dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    this is a snowmobile site...doubt he's worried about getting his hands dirty.
    He may own a aki doo yiu dont know

As far as push mower . I have 1 a old pos prob 10 yrs old have never changed the oil yet lol original plug even . And it was the 100buck special at menereds. Not sure I have even checked the oil lol

What kind of snowmobile do you drive? What kind of snowmobile do you own??

Why is it i am spending a few hundred every year in battery's for my tools ? I am fine with it but let's be honest most of the battery yard **** is home owner built at best . I see plenty of few yr old battery **** on the curb . Prob just a bad battery but those are usualy 1/2 the cost of a new mower or blower . Or brushes and let's be honest if you bought the cordless mower you most likely have no idea how it even works or that you could prob slap some hardware store brushes in it for 8 bucks.

Hi everyone. Just a quick update on the lawnmower drama. I took the mower out of the box and had it running in five minutes. The Honda started up in one pull. It took me four hours to chew up all the leaves in my yard, and the mower worked like a boss. When I was done, I ran the engine dry and cleaned the air filter. As noted, I will change the oil in the spring before I use it for the first time next year.

I love cutting grass and today was fun. I must admit it was nice to cut grass in a t-shirt and shorts on November 7! But I'm happy the cold is coming back this week. Have a great weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    He may own a aki doo yiu dont know

As far as push mower . I have 1 a old pos prob 10 yrs old have never changed the oil yet lol original plug even . And it was the 100buck special at menereds. Not sure I have even checked the oil lol
    Mine's 7 years. Did change it once. I did take the step of buying a new plug, air filter and oil this year but haven't gotten around to it. Have about 1/2 acre and use it for leaves too, so battery powered won't cut it.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Mine's 7 years. Did change it once. I did take the step of buying a new plug, air filter and oil this year but haven't gotten around to it. Have about 1/2 acre and use it for leaves too, so battery powered won't cut it.
    I mow about 4 acres. I bought a solar powered Omnimax lawnmower this year. It works great from about noon to five pm. If the sun goes behind a cloud then you go and weed eat for awhile until it comes back out. The only bad thing is that if there is a wind it blows the grass clippings back on to the solar collector. The collector itself is about 8 feet square so you can't get too close to trees and stuff. The blade is not attached to the electric motor. The motor spins a big heavy flywheel type thing at 1425 rpms. The blade is attached to this. It has some snort when it gets up to speed. I put a dog bone right through the wall on my pole she'd the first time out.
    Last edited by grub; 11-08-2020 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post

Thank you.
    Way too much commentary here, the answer is no.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    So how much can your amazing cordless lawn mower mow at a time? If we get a chance to mow here it's go time. So how many acres can it do at a crack?
    Cordless electric mowers aren't meant for farm size yards. The poster was talking about a push mower. My property is 200 ft x 200 ft, but the portion that doesn't have trees is 100 ft x 100 ft and also has my house. My battery will last 1 hour and 15 minutes before needing recharge and that is not enough time to cut everything I want to cut. The solution is to have a second battery which takes less than a minute to change out and to put the old one on a charger. I have a fast charger and in 50 minutes a battery will be completely charged so I can cut all day long if I wanted to.

I went the gas mower route at first. I had a couple and gave them away. I called the repair shop and told them I would give them a couple of gas mowers if they came and picked them up. I didn't want them. They could repair them or use them for parts, but please get them out of my sight.

I now have two cordless mowers and no regrets what so ever, and neither of them required any service. I only had my Ego mower for two years and this year got a second battery for it. The batteries are expensive, like $250 just for a battery. However, I bought a leaf blower for $300 and got a battery with it. Two batteries mean no problems.

Don't take my word for it on less maintenance. Here are the reports.
    https://www.consumerreports.org/lawn...ower-face-off/

https://www.protoolreviews.com/best-...mower-reviews/
    Last edited by Midwest Player; 11-09-2020 at 02:44 AM.

....speaking of Honda push mowers....I think mine is one of the first models....bought it in the early to mid eighties.....Its an actual "push" mower.
    Ichange the oil every spring but rarely do anything to the fuel and it pops right off every year.
    I almost gave up on it this year because it was running rough... but found a new carb for it and decided to give it a try.... back to good....lol....this thing might outlast me.