Results 1 to 33 of 33

Thread: Freda loop?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Elkhorn
    Posts
    225

    Default Freda loop?

    Anyone know if it will be open this coming season?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hebron IN.
    Posts
    485

    Default

    i heard not this year from some previous posts

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Will not be open.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    That is very unfortunate, hopefully it will reopen eventually but seeing what the flood did, I can only imagine what areas of the Freda loop look like.

  5. #5

    Default

    trail 13 will be busy this year with 109 closed

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Seems like talk has always been that the Freda loop is the lowest priority in the flood fix list, with some saying maybe never. Miss it. Miss 3 from Dollar to Linden more though. Far nicer way to go north out of H/H than blah 17.

    For trail riders the Keweenaw is losing it's appeal with all the trails shut down. Skipped it last year. Will probably skip it again this year. Sucks.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hebron IN.
    Posts
    485

    Default

    yea very unfortunate been hitting the Eastern UP last couple years in Mid January trails and conditions have been pretty good.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    Seems like talk has always been that the Freda loop is the lowest priority in the flood fix list, with some saying maybe never. Miss it. Miss 3 from Dollar to Linden more though. Far nicer way to go north out of H/H than blah 17.

    For trail riders the Keweenaw is losing it's appeal with all the trails shut down. Skipped it last year. Will probably skip it again this year. Sucks.
    The worst thing is I was thinking the same thing... I get tired of the grade in a hurry...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    The worst thing is I was thinking the same thing... I get tired of the grade in a hurry...
    Agreed...straight lines get pretty lame after a while. I don't know if it is a priority thing with Freda loop, a large part of that trail was wet, I can only imagine the extent of damage, seeing what the water did to city roads up there. Doesn't mean im not hoping and praying we will have it back sooner than later, but also know it may be lost for good uuuugh!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hortonville, Wi
    Posts
    8,223

    Default

    With the exception of the northern 1/3 of the Freda loop, I can say I have off trail ridden in the general area of the southern 2/3 of it and have crossed paths with the old trail many times and don’t notice any more downed trees or damage than usual... All of the logging roads are 100% accessible as far as I can tell and navigating even some of the nastiest creek bottoms in that area, even a spot we call Death Valley, is no different than it was before the storm. So this is just my 2 cents but I have a hard time believing the Freda loop is “a far ways off” of ever getting repaired and in good shape again... But in general that whole area is usually pretty wet. Obviously to get it going again it takes a lot of awesome volunteers and man hours, but this is just my general observation.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Hancock, MI
    Posts
    217

    Default

    The trail from DB to LL is pretty sweet and scenic. And the Freda trail is nice because it doesn't get a ton of traffic.

    Even though I don't ride trails like a lot of you do those trails are nice and hopefully get fixed.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    The biggest issue with the Freda loop, is the rail bed part of it, multiple washouts. Not little ones either. Now, once off the rail bed heading toward Toivola, there are a few washouts, one small one, and one large one. Also one bad spot where the beavers have done their thing.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Here is a picture from 2019 of the larger washout not on the rail bed.




    20190723_131626.jpg
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houghton Michigan
    Posts
    279

    Default

    I have been on the Rail Bed section several times in the last couple of years, the Stanton locals keep the trail usable. They have done some temporary fix’s and keep the windfalls cleaned up. They also made an offer to the DNR to repair the washouts but the way the story goes they were turned down because there would have to be Engineering studies and such done before any repairs could be made.....

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    I have been on the Rail Bed section several times in the last couple of years, the Stanton locals keep the trail usable. They have done some temporary fix’s and keep the windfalls cleaned up. They also made an offer to the DNR to repair the washouts but the way the story goes they were turned down because there would have to be Engineering studies and such done before any repairs could be made.....
    Wonder who the jackwagon is who cut the timbers out on the bridge? Made the bridge impassable if on a sxs or atv.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Houghton Michigan
    Posts
    279

    Default

    Yeah no kidding!
    They had it patched up within a week when it happened though.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Il
    Posts
    589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Here is a picture from 2019 of the larger washout not on the rail bed.




    20190723_131626.jpg

    a few bails of hay, problem solved

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER View Post
    a few bails of hay, problem solved
    Lol, really? What about the culvert that needs to be there?
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St Germain, WI
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    I have been on the Rail Bed section several times in the last couple of years, the Stanton locals keep the trail usable. They have done some temporary fix’s and keep the windfalls cleaned up. They also made an offer to the DNR to repair the washouts but the way the story goes they were turned down because there would have to be Engineering studies and such done before any repairs could be made.....
    That's right, get the government involved, that'll speed things up. I know, it only took them 3 years to get 3 acres of a National Veteran's Cemetery at Harshaw completed.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    Lol, really? What about the culvert that needs to be there?
    If that's the scale and type of damage scattered about the Freda loop, then it's pretty lame that it's not repaired yet. A pickup truck and a mini excavator can handle that.

    I'm guessing the rail bed damage is much worse?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    If that's the scale and type of damage scattered about the Freda loop, then it's pretty lame that it's not repaired yet. A pickup truck and a mini excavator can handle that.

    I'm guessing the rail bed damage is much worse?
    Rail bed is much worse. Remember peeps, as much as the locals want to fix these issues themselves, their hands are tied.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    If that's the scale and type of damage scattered about the Freda loop, then it's pretty lame that it's not repaired yet. A pickup truck and a mini excavator can handle that.

    I'm guessing the rail bed damage is much worse?
    Don't forget your permits from the DEQ and DNR and an engineering study. Plus permission/cooperation from the land owner. Just the way things roll with the state of MI. You want to move a rock, you will have to jump through some government hoops first!

    And I would LOVE to see you fix that properly with a pickup and mini.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,159

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Don't forget your permits from the DEQ and DNR and an engineering study. Plus permission/cooperation from the land owner. Just the way things roll with the state of MI. You want to move a rock, you will have to jump through some government hoops first!

    And I would LOVE to see you fix that properly with a pickup and mini.
    You forgot beer and duct tape. C'mon man!

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    Don't forget your permits from the DEQ and DNR and an engineering study. Plus permission/cooperation from the land owner. Just the way things roll with the state of MI. You want to move a rock, you will have to jump through some government hoops first!

    And I would LOVE to see you fix that properly with a pickup and mini.
    A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, dump trailer, and a mini excavator could fix that I would think, unless the picture is deceiving of true scale. It's a 3 foot deep by 8 foot wide trench on a 12 foot wide trail, not a highway bridge embankment. Used to be a commercial estimator/PM in a former life, and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    2,287

    Default

    Welp I will throw the first 500 bucks at ya if you go get it done.... Man I miss that trail...

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,167

    Default

    20190723_142155.jpg


    Here is one on the rail bed. As you can see, it's going to take a little more than a mini excavator and hay bales. :-)
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,854

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ICT Sledder View Post
    A 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, dump trailer, and a mini excavator could fix that I would think, unless the picture is deceiving of true scale. It's a 3 foot deep by 8 foot wide trench on a 12 foot wide trail, not a highway bridge embankment. Used to be a commercial estimator/PM in a former life, and I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
    The key word was "properly". The DNR and DEQ will not let you just dump a culvert in and bring back to grade with the material on site. Once all the engineering is done, then the culvert(s) can be placed at the proper height and the entire river cut will have to be filled with larger rock and then capped with something like #2 gravel. The reason for this is to prevent it from being washed out entirely the next time the culverts get plugged or overwhelmed and the water flow tops the fill.

    It could be done with a pickup, but I cannot even begin to imagine the number of trips one would have to take to haul all that fill material out!

    Love the Holiday Inn Express part!

    -John

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Elgin, IL.
    Posts
    731

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    20190723_142155.jpg




    Here is one on the rail bed. As you can see, it's going to take a little more than a mini excavator and hay bales. :-)
    Yep, first you have to upright the Earth. (Why are all the pics sideways?)

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Tracker needs to give a refresher course.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Merrill,Wi - Mass City,Mi weekends
    Posts
    645

    Default

    From what I saw the loop is repairable. The Trail running from the Junction to Redridge Dam is not. They stuck a pile of Money in that Trail raising it and it is
    a shame to abandon it. There was nothing wrong with the Bridge.

    Last year the washout by Silver Mountain could have been fixed faster than it took to put up the Road Closed Signs.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    From what I saw the loop is repairable. The Trail running from the Junction to Redridge Dam is not. They stuck a pile of Money in that Trail raising it and it is
    a shame to abandon it. There was nothing wrong with the Bridge.

    Last year the washout by Silver Mountain could have been fixed faster than it took to put up the Road Closed Signs.
    Have heard more than once on this site since the loop was closed due to washouts, which wouldn't have surprised me knowing how wet it was in areas even during the dead of winter, but then you see posts like this that say the damage is not that extensive, I also understand that trail repairs cost money and are more often done by volunteers also, could it possibly be a issue with the land owner? would really like to see this loop reopen once again some day, I believe its the 13 loop just south of there and the Freda loop were not only fun to navigate nd scenic but also a nice break from the straight line Bill Nichols trail. Hopefully it will return one day.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    56

    Default

    From the MI DNR website about trail closures and in this case ATV:
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...=&searchQuery=

    BA (FREDA GRADE) ROUTE REMAINS CLOSED, REPAIRS PLANNED
    Due to 2018 storm flood damage, the BA (Freda Grade) Route remains closed; however, funding to repair the trail has recently been approved. The trail repairs are planned for 2021. (updated 8/24/20)

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ragsled View Post
    From the MI DNR website about trail closures and in this case ATV:
    https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,...=&searchQuery=

    BA (FREDA GRADE) ROUTE REMAINS CLOSED, REPAIRS PLANNED
    Due to 2018 storm flood damage, the BA (Freda Grade) Route remains closed; however, funding to repair the trail has recently been approved. The trail repairs are planned for 2021. (updated 8/24/20)
    Good News!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» January 2021

S M T W T F S
2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 123456

» Stats

Members: 20,377
Threads: 29,156
Posts: 344,988

» Online Users: 316

2 members and 314 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 02:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

vmax1994 (54)
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0