Default Ski doo 600 carb question

Today I went to start up my wife's 2015 mxz sport (600 carb) and it wouldn't start. (I ran it once about a month ago and it ran for about a minute and then shut off) I took the spark plugs out and poured some gas in the cylinder and the sled started right up but it would die within 4 or 5 seconds. I did this 3 times and it started everytime and then died. Any ideas on what could be wrong and what I should try next? The sled ran perfect last year, never had any issues with anything on it. Thanks.

Time for a carb cleaning.

Are you running non ethanol?

I have run ethanol gasoline in it sometimes in the past, but the fuel that it was stored with all summer was pure fuel.

need to clean carbs, sounds as if pilot jets are plugged, this just happened to my wifes 600 carb

Silly question but have to ask, is there a fuel shut off on that sled?

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Not silly at all. Check for the obvious before you start tearing things apart. Gas in the tank? Shut Off valve? Plugged Filter? Pinched Gas Line?

I had a GSX with carbs and because of the funny shaped gas tanks on the Doo's, when it gets low you may not be drawing fuel. I was on an incline and I left the skis on the rollers. It would start and then die. I put it on level ground, added a gallon of gas (bc I leave the tanks low during off season) and it fired right up.

I put fresh fuel in it yesterday (added about a gallon) and that didnt change anything. As far as I know, there is no fuel shut off. If there is, I certainly didn't turn it off. So weird as it fired right up a month ago and now won't even start.

Does ski Doo have a line inside the tank like a polaris , if so it may have fallen off

Have fun cleaning the carbs...they are a pain in the arse on these XPs..

Any sign of Mice near it?

It was in my enclosed trailer all summer, no sign of mice.

Quote Originally Posted by skidoo mxz View Post
    It was in my enclosed trailer all summer, no sign of mice.
    Carbs need cleaned. I store my 2 - 2016's in an enclosed trailer and try to run them once a month in the offseason. Same thing happened to me last year, ran fine one day and then didn't want to run, new jets and a cleaning fixed it.

With the advent of fuels we have these days, when I had carbureted sleds I cleaned carbs every season, was just safe practice. Even though they run doesn't mean the gum and varnish build up hasn't begun and depending is set up just a slight lean down can cause catastrophic failures, wasn't worth it me to take the chance, ethanol fuel not the greatest especially during seasonal storage, but unless you are buying recreational fuel or that canned fuel you see in stores it is still reformulated, not the gas we had years ago. Even on my EFI sleds I still drain fuel at end of season and "juice" it with a slightly heavy gas/oil mix and run it so I don't end up with any corrosion or premature failure/damage of fuel/injection system. anything carbureted for a piece of mind I would clean them each season, use an ultrasonic cleaner if you have access to one. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by skidoo mxz View Post
    I have run ethanol gasoline in it sometimes in the past, but the fuel that it was stored with all summer was pure fuel.
    Get her going yet ?

I have an appointment to take it in and have the carbs cleaned. I will post an update when I get it back. Thanks for all the responses.

Gas in tank. XPs if low in tank will not feed fuel. The sled on a stand?

It had gas in it and I added a gallon or so when I was working on it. No stand, sitting in my garage.

Stupid question but did you take tether off and push back on and wiggle around ? Mine can be finicky

Ezra's, I did not check that and that's a good idea. It is probably a long shot, but I will check it tomorrow. Thanks

I had that happen to mine a couple years. Called my tech at the Doo dealer. He said from sitting the fuel evaporates and you just need to "prime it", so to speak..
    FIX: slide out the air box, put some gas in a spray bottle and spray into both intakes and it'll fire up.

Pull the plugs and just put a little fuel in the cylinder, plugs back in and attempt to start it. If it fires or pops, you know its not electrical. This will be a little quicker than pulling the air box. Both methods will work the same.