Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Namesake

Exactly Gary, “Steady as she goes.” is the goal. This photo shows why the smarter guys like Kirk600 really take their time and go through things thoroughly before they fire up one of these engines that has been sitting for a long time. When I pulled the front cooling shroud off the donor motor, I discovered that a family of mice had made it their home for quite a while. This nest would have most likely caused overheating.

Got the top end cleaned up. Now the trick will be to get it back together without breaking something or losing something. Gave the cylinders and pistons the once-over with maroon Scotchbrite and ATF. Doesnít have a lot of effect on the chrome cylinders but it might knock down the glaze a hair, at least microscopically. Iím not going crazy on the external appearance of this motor. The casting is kind of a drab gray so itís not a real flashy motor to begin with. Just cleaning off the grime. .

Looks good Kelly, I am always amazed how much your projects look like new when your done. I need more time and patience because I'm usually working on sleds when I am supposed to be working on something else....... Hope your well and the fish are biting for you this summer !

Kirk

Kirk, I do go through a lot of Brake-Kleen and lacquer thinner but the truth be told, the camera seems generally kinder to the condition of snowmobile parts (and snowmobiles) than reality. Iím not nearly as meticulous about reconditioning as a lot of restoration people. Some of the work these restorers do is unbelievable. I donít like putting dirty parts back together so I do try to get things looking as good as can be achieved with a reasonable amount of effort. Sometimes Iím happy with the results, sometimes not so much. Any yes, fish have been caught but weíre getting into the dog days of summer so the bite is changing a little.

Not sure why I find this stuff interesting but I do. Iíve been curious about the ďCĒ stenciled on the top of the cylinders but always assumed it indicated chrome-plating. Going through the Sachs manual the other day I discovered that it represents a tolerance level (presumably a milling tolerance). Apparently, the cylinders are marked ďA, B, or CĒ according to tolerance. Unfortunately, the manual didnít indicate which letter represented the tightest tolerance but it did say that the pistons must be paired accordingly, which makes sense. Once I got the pistons cleaned up, sure enough, there is a ďCĒ stamped in the top of each piston. This would be an important tidbit of information if one were trying to replace the pistons with new ones.

The top end of the mill is back together (with minimal drama). Whether it hangs together is something to be determined at some point in the future. With the top end back in place, I could roll it over and was pleasantly surprised to find that both cylinders had excellent spark. This is no small thing for a 50 year-old motor with points ignition.

Nice! To a degree, you have to love the simplicity in the early years of design. Good to hear that you are doing better. Enjoy your summer. -Mezz

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Kelly, just wondering how far away are the fires in Winnipeg from you. Looks kinda close on the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    Kelly, just wondering how far away are the fires in Winnipeg from you. Looks kinda close on the maps.
    The Winnipeg fires are quite a way off but there are much closer fires in Ontario. Nothing super-close, 25 miles is probably the closest. No shortage of smoke though. Man, it was smoky last night! A little concerned about the cabin. A Canadian friend sent us some photos of the property last weekend, lots of tall, dry grass. If that were to ignite, I think we might be in trouble. Unfortunately, we wonít be allowed to cross the border to get up there and clean things up until Aug. 9th.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mezz View Post
    Nice! To a degree, you have to love the simplicity in the early years of design. Good to hear that you are doing better. Enjoy your summer. -Mezz
    Thanks Mezz. In a way, these motors are beautifully basic. Put on a carb and attach a fuel supply and it would fire up right there on the table. The motor is essentially back together and believe it or not, I found every appropriate screw, nut, bolt, and washer. If nothing else, these projects have taught me the value of organization and photos, photos, photos. Sometimes it might be months (or even years) before items get re-assembled. Things can get lost and you can forget a lot in that time. Although the motor is ready for installation, there are a LOT of chassis tasks (big and small) to get done first. If anything, ďnewsworthyĒ happens, Iíll add an update.

Looks great Kelly, kind of unique the spark plugs at a 45 degree angle. The things manufacturers
    tried with these old sleds.

Now that you mention it, the angled plugs are probably not the most common design for cylinders using a single plug. The head combustion chamber seems somewhat unique as well. A ďdivotĒ is machined out where the plug screws into the head and there seems to be minimal clearance between the piston and the head. Not sure of the reason behind the concept. Maybe it compresses the fuel/air into a concentrated spot and generates more force but really, I have no idea. The Sachs 440C motors were pretty fast for the day so the concept didnít seem to hurt performance. I should add that they were also a little prone to burn-down. Maybe itís related. This is a shot of a spare head:

A little Saturday night project action. Well, “action” might be a bit strong. I had the track/driveshaft mostly assembled a long time ago but never really got it installed completely so the next step for the chassis was to finish the track and drive axle installation. As I have said before, this is always a bit of a challenge on a lot of sleds and this one was no exception. The chaincase bearing is an open bearing so it requires an inner seal and because both bearings have to be basically pressed on, both they and the seal need to be on the axle when it is installed. By leaving the chaincase loose and with a lot of wiggling/jiggling I had gotten the bearing to seat in the chaincase earlier (it’s a tight fit). So tonight it was just a matter of lining things up, bolting everything in, and getting the seal fitted into the case. Glad to have this job checked off.

Last edited by skiroule; 07-31-2021 at 11:33 PM. Reason: Grammar

If it werenít for the front shaft bolts, this suspension would be one of the easiest Iíve ever installed but they more than make up for the ease of the rest of the process. Unlike a lot of sleds, the front shaft bolts are located inside the pan, in front of the foot rests. This makes it a real challenge to see when you have the shaft lined up and when youíre doing this by yourself, it only adds to the difficulty. I have found that when you run out of unique swear words, using the same ones over and over is equally effective. It did eventually go together and the brake caliper also got assembled and mounted. Now I need to sit down with a couple of malties and take some time thinking about what else needs to be done before I move it from the ďassembly tableĒ to the sled lift.

It's coming together nicely Kelly! Looking great!

You are amazing. I love your work! -Mezz

Another masterpiece Kelly!

Apparently the "cussing" is working. It took the paint off the wall over by the Breaker Panel!
    Last edited by gary_in_neenah; 08-04-2021 at 03:40 PM. Reason: stupid gremlins

Thanks guys! Iím reasonably confident now that it will all get put back together before the snow flies. Whether it actually runs and drives, not as confident. And yes, paint-peeling language occasionally goes with the territory. Guess patience doesnít always increase with age.

Stumbled across this last night and thought Iíd throw it in just for fun and because there is a connection to the subject of this thread. Itís a shot of a trio of 72ís taken on the family farm in about 1974 Ė my (original) RTX, my brotherís Charger, and my wifeís Firebird SS. Assuming the current project gets finished, my wife and I will have a restored version of the very first sled models we could each claim as ďmy sledĒ. My hope is that when conditions are right, we can take them out for a spin on the very same logging roads we rode 50 years ago. Would be pretty cool.

Great picture thanks for sharing!

Yeah DWZ, that photo brings back a lot of good memories. It was a different experience then for sure. Virtually no access to bars/restaurants in our riding area and with no trail system (unless you count deer trails), all riding was, by definition, off-trail, so a 30 mile day was a pretty full day of riding. This didn’t mean that we always motored along at a leisurely pace. There were some pretty spirited drag races on the fields and unplowed county roads. Burned out a little carbon (and an occasional piston).

Made a couple of subtle changes that might not be very obvious in this latest photo. Got the front bumper mounted and the chain case cover installed. Going with a heavier gasket cord than original because I figure the bigger cord will let me use less torque on the cover bolts and still get a good seal. Weíll see, I guess. Think I saw something on this site about Klotz lube being less likely to leak so Iím going to give it a try.

- - - Updated - - -

Installed the tank so I could finalize my fabricated (read ďimprovisedĒ) gas tank retention system. Found a couple of thin aluminum bars in my junk pile of metal stock and formed them to fit the tank. Added some dense foam cushion on the underside of the bars, used bolts to fasten the straps up front, and turnbuckles in the rear to allow for some tension adjustment on the straps. Itís a little crude but at least it wonít rip the ears off the tank under stress like the original system did and the tank is not going anywhere from its mounted position. Sled is ready to come off the table now but it will be a while before I can get to that.

Wow great work!

Very nice work. Yes the klotz is definitely thicker it has graphite in it.

Nice work on the tank brackets. Great idea.<br><br>

Thanks guys! Apologies in advance if there are a bunch of typos in this post, but one hand is not cooperating. Just when Iíd finally been able to get out and make some progress on the project, it hit a snag. In this year of medical issue ďfirstsĒ for me, I got hit with another one about a week and a half ago. Out of nowhere I suffered a fairly significant stroke. No warning, no indication that I was a high risk, blood pressure was great, and yet here I am. Iím currently enrolled in a physical therapy ďboot campĒ, which is a 24/7 residency at the local hospital to receive more intense therapy. Itís producing improvement but one had to see some humor in my motor control the first few days. If youíve ever seen the old Tim Conway dentist bit, my movement was pretty much like his. I wanted to post this to explain the lack of activity in the near term on the RTX but Iím hopeful that I will be back at it by sometime in the fall. In the meantime, Iím going to just sit back and enjoy Kirkís progress on his vintage gems.

Geeze Kelly!<br><br>So sorry and saddened to hear of your latest medical whammy. I just finished a prayer for you to have a speedy and full recovery, as well as strength and patience to get there!<br><br>Please keep us posted on how you are doing. To me that is more important to know than the progress on the sled.<br><br>Be well and God bless!<br><br>-John

Kelly, sorry to hear this. Good luck with the therapy, you are gonna need those motor skills for your hobby interests for sure. I was not familiar with the Tim Conway bit, after watching it, it gave me reason to smile and glad your sense of humor has prevailed. In the meantime, listen to the Doctors and let us know if you need us to sneak in a pack of smokes or a bottle of something strong. Godspeed on your recovery!

Gary

Thanks John and Gary for the prayers and encouragement. It really does mean a lot and keeps me pushing on. While Iím pretty confident that I will make a relatively complete recovery, the scope of my sledding activities will have to change. It saddens me a little to say that my mountain riding days are over. Being on blood thinners for life now, I canít risk an injury in the back country where I could bleed to death (internally or externally) long before I could get medical help. I have tons of memories, photos, and video to remind me of all the great rides, plus my vintage stuff to help fill the void but Iíll still miss exploring the mountains with my old red, white, and blue friend.

Kelly, Very sorry to hear about this. Just when you could finally get back to your cabin to have this happen. I guess the positive is it could&#39;ve been much worse! Praying for a complete recovery for you and being able to get back to doing what you love.

Sorry to hear about this Kelly!&nbsp; I know you will work hard and get back to as close to normal, or even normal, as possible. Take care my friend and you will be in my prayers!

Gee Kelly that is not the updates we were expecting...... hope you make a full recovery it sounds like you are in good hands. Every day is a gift, and hopefully you can continue to improve and get back to the people and the things you love to do.

Will have to get busy as you pushed me into the limelight for now!!! Thanks for the push and I hope I don&#39;t disappoint!!!! Take care Kelly and you have lots of friends here praying for you.

Kirk

Thanks guys. Think your thoughts and words of encouragement are working, as progress is occurring. The therapy staff here Is very supportive but also demanding and itís paying off. They have moved me from a walker to a cane to walking independently in just a few days. Also hitting the weight room a lot now, which is brutal. I wasnít in that great of shape before this incident. No pressure Kirk, I know you take the time to do things right so when we get an update I know that the work will be well done.

So great to her Kelly! Do everything those PT bastards tell you to do! They really know their stuff! It&#39;s amazing how well they can whip one back into shape!<br><br>Don&#39;t be too down about giving up the out west riding. I have done the same. Would love to have you come to the Keweenaw again and ride. Could even put you up in the apartment in the Barndeeminimum!<br><br>-John

Quote Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
    So great to her Kelly! Do everything those PT bastards tell you to do! They really know their stuff! It&#39;s amazing how well they can whip one back into shape! Don&#39;t be too down about giving up the out west riding. I have done the same. Would love to have you come to the Keweenaw again and ride. Could even put you up in the apartment in the Barndeeminimum! -John
    Yep, when the therapists tell you what to do, you do your best to do it. If they think youíre dogging it, they have ways of really making you pay. Would love to get back to the Keweenaw. For no good reason itís been too long. Another ride would be a heck of a lot fun, although we might need some adult supervision to keep us out of trouble. I think I could settle into the Barndeeminimum nicely and if you were see me pull in with a sled in the back of the truck and a U-Haul trailer behind, you might be re-thinking your offer.

skiroule, I am very sorry to hear what happened to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. The problem with strokes is there are usually no warning signs and you never know what or how severe the outcome will be, I have had one stroke and one TIA, luckily the stroke was not severe and I was very close to a medical facility but knowing how it affected me then I can only imagine what you are going through and again I pray you will have a speedy and full recovery so that you can return to working your hobby and perform the magic we see on your posts here. As far as blood thinners go...not so bad as long as there are no major injuries, just have to be a bit more careful, I take 3 a day now since my last TIA and I sustained a pretty good injury at my shop last year and not going to lie, the bleeding was not pretty. But unfortunately these are thinks we have to take to keep ourselves on the green side of the sod, and it will halp to prevent any reoccurring strokes as sometimes one can follow right after another and be worse than the one that occurred, and like I said you never know what the outcome will be afterwards. Hopefully you can return to your craft soon, hopefully you will not give up or have to give up any of the things you enjoy doing. Take care and thoughts and prayers are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by skiroule View Post

Yep, when the therapists tell you what to do, you do your best to do it. If they think you’re dogging it, they have ways of really making you pay. Would love to get back to the Keweenaw. For no good reason it’s been too long. Another ride would be a heck of a lot fun, although we might need some adult supervision to keep us out of trouble. I think I could settle into the Barndeeminimum nicely and if you were see me pull in with a sled in the back of the truck and a U-Haul trailer behind, you might be re-thinking your offer.
    <br><br>Haha! Sounds like we might be onto something here!<br>
    <br>

Kelly, my thoughts and prayers are with you as well. Medical set backs suck, but, I know you will persevere. Keep that inner strength going, at the same time, pace yourself. Take care and be well. -Mezz&nbsp;

Thanks Mezz, words to live by for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    skiroule, I am very sorry to hear what happened to you, my thoughts and prayers are with you for a full recovery. The problem with strokes is there are usually no warning signs and you never know what or how severe the outcome will be, I have had one stroke and one TIA, luckily the stroke was not severe and I was very close to a medical facility but knowing how it affected me then I can only imagine what you are going through and again I pray you will have a speedy and full recovery so that you can return to working your hobby and perform the magic we see on your posts here. As far as blood thinners go...not so bad as long as there are no major injuries, just have to be a bit more careful, I take 3 a day now since my last TIA and I sustained a pretty good injury at my shop last year and not going to lie, the bleeding was not pretty. But unfortunately these are thinks we have to take to keep ourselves on the green side of the sod, and it will halp to prevent any reoccurring strokes as sometimes one can follow right after another and be worse than the one that occurred, and like I said you never know what the outcome will be afterwards. Hopefully you can return to your craft soon, hopefully you will not give up or have to give up any of the things you enjoy doing. Take care and thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Your thoughts and prayers are much appreciated Mr. E. Also, excellent advice and info, especially from someone who has been there. I like your philosophy of not letting the circumstances change things about the way you live that donít have to change. I am surprised that you had a TIA after a big-time stroke. I was under the impression that it typically happened the other way. In any case, it is comforting to know that you have returned to a reasonably normal life and it gives me hope that I can do the same.

Sorry to hear of your setback. Wishing you a speedy recovery. <br>Consider getting a satellite capable gps for future country excursions. I carry a Garman 66i. It links to your phone and provides texting communications when you don’t have cell service. Friends and family can follow you and you can send gps coordinates in emergency.&nbsp;

Thanks heckler56! I Think this is good advice whether you have a medical condition that might put you at risk or not. I have not checked out that particular Garmin but will definitely take a look. Even around home there are lots of areas where cell service is sketchy. Believe it or not, in my younger days I used to do a lot of solo mountain biking in the U.P. (checking out sledding routes) and I carried a SPOT satellite messenger. Thankfully I never had to use the emergency feature but the tracking and check-in features were pretty cool. It was great for looking at your route overlayed on an aerial map on your PC after a ride but you really had no idea where you were in real-time so a GPS was still necessary.