Default What's your favorite food for the woods

Just in case things get nasty, and we cant eat at our regular stops. What is your favorite food to bring with while out riding. Chile in the thermos is always one of my easy ones. I know a lot of creative cooks out there! Lets here all about them!

Dogs in the Muff Pot

Quote Originally Posted by UP RIDER View Post
    Dogs in the Muff Pot
    Ham and cheese hot pockets in the same!

Build a fire and cook some brats, stick a can of beans in the fire also. Tough to beat.

Few years back Krupp's Mini Mart made us some muffpot sized pasties. Those were delicious.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

Vollworth Natural Casing Hot Dogs on an open fire. A copper country made favorite. Best dogs ever! Though, a pasty is simpler & equally delicious, plus, you can eat it cold with some ketchup! -Mezz

White Castle burgers in the muff pot! ��

Quote Originally Posted by snobinge View Post
    White Castle burgers in the muff pot! ��
    Wow....that's a good one.

I typically like to bring leftover ribs and eat them cold.

Quote Originally Posted by mezz View Post
    Vollworth Natural Casing Hot Dogs on an open fire. A copper country made favorite. Best dogs ever! Though, a pasty is simpler & equally delicious, plus, you can eat it cold with some ketchup! -Mezz
    Can't beat Vollworth dogs. Over the fire or boiled in Jet Boil. And of course, Beer Cheese soup.

I buy the frozen white castles at the grocery store. They get a nice crispy outside and pure goodness on the inside. I wrap with parchment paper. 4 fit perfectly.

I buy the frozen white castles at the grocery store. They get a nice crispy outside and pure goodness on the inside. I wrap with parchment paper. 4 fit perfectly.
    White castles? Out on the trail? Holy geez, it’s a good thing they’re wrapped in parchment paper, you’re going to need that when you start “sharting” out on the trail ... LOL

Gotta back up snomoman on this one too, you must like to live on the edge.

No issues fellas. Iron gut and I burn so many calories on the mountain 2 little white castles are nothing. I usually share the other 2.

The trader Joe's bags of marinated chicken . The pesto is real good in the muff pot as well as the beef with fajita marinade in the muff . Warm some tortilla on the muffler .poss some shredded cheese .
    Pro tip don't ever attempt the shrimp scampi in the muff pot lmfao my buds assault smelled like burnt butter for 2 yrs

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    White castles? Out on the trail? Holy geez, it’s a good thing they’re wrapped in parchment paper, you’re going to need that when you start “sharting” out on the trail ... LOL
    Best laugh I had all day.

Quote Originally Posted by katden4 View Post
    Just in case things get nasty, and we cant eat at our regular stops. What is your favorite food to bring with while out riding. Chile in the thermos is always one of my easy ones. I know a lot of creative cooks out there! Lets here all about them!
    1. Too scared to eat on trail, don't want to have to take a dump.
    2. How ya gonna get to 400 miles sitting around eating.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    1. Too scared to eat on trail, don't want to have to take a dump.
    2. How ya gonna get to 400 miles sitting around eating.

Bear
    Arctic cat has a a compartment heated for goggles, I always have trail paper along with it. Ahhhhhh, heated trail paper!

Bear, you have try at least once, stopping and just shutting everything down and enjoy the woods! Not everything can be seen at 90mph! Yes I tried for many years, and now I really enjoy just being out there. I guess I am getting old! I even washed my Kubota mower before I out it away this season, a sure sign of getting old! Even my wife laughed at me, she knows!

We usually have a huge breakfast and an early dinner to beat the dinner crowds. So all we need is a midday trailside snack. Its become a tradition that anyone that gets one of those huge cheese, cracker, sausage, ham, mustard, gift packs for Christmas will bring it along with a knife and paper plates so we can snack while resting at a scenic overlook.

Coming to a trail near you if bars and restaurants stay closed. My Creamy Dark is in my hand.

Off trail lunch.jpg

Busch Light & Copenhagen!!

I made a post in another thread about getting a group of riders together, one person hauling a chuck wagon, going to some place, building a bonfire and having some fun like they use to do in the old days of snowmobiling but it was dismissed.

Sardines...kippered snacks...Mandarin oranges...crackers....cheese....mustard...various liquors....cold ding dongs

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandylake View Post
    I made a post in another thread about getting a group of riders together, one person hauling a chuck wagon, going to some place, building a bonfire and having some fun like they use to do in the old days of snowmobiling
    I read your post and thought it was worthwhile. But here's a few thoughts. I find it hard enough to get a group together for a ride. Now if you include a Chuck Wagon someone needs to go shopping, get a fire going, etc. That's gonna take a lot of planning and dedication. The "old days" of which you refer I think were the days of bogey wheels, leaf springs, and fouled plugs. After a couple hours of that anyone would want to get off and enjoy a beverage and something hot. Today's machines and trails are so much better that once out there most people want to keep going until stopping to warm up indoors and have a hot meal. I don't like change any more than the next guy but in this case the snowmobiling experience has improved a lot over the years and it looks like the days of the Chuck Wagon and Bonfire are going to be rare.

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    I read your post and thought it was worthwhile. But here's a few thoughts. I find it hard enough to get a group together for a ride. Now if you include a Chuck Wagon someone needs to go shopping, get a fire going, etc. That's gonna take a lot of planning and dedication. The "old days" of which you refer I think were the days of bogey wheels, leaf springs, and fouled plugs. After a couple hours of that anyone would want to get off and enjoy a beverage and something hot. Today's machines and trails are so much better that once out there most people want to keep going until stopping to warm up indoors and have a hot meal. I don't like change any more than the next guy but in this case the snowmobiling experience has improved a lot over the years and it looks like the days of the Chuck Wagon and Bonfire are going to be rare.
    Totally agree chuck wagon is a dated idea may work for a putt putt club ride. It would take a lot of coordination and someone that wants to cook and provide for a pack. Delays or ahead of schedule could cause a lot of downtime meeting up with a chuck wagon on big mile trips. You never really know how long intervals will take , crowded gas pumps varied trail conditions who knows you just go and adjust. Chuck wagon could work for limited rides where no big miles are scheduled maybe an off trail ride where you not putting on a lot of miles and know where you be at at given time. For my pack it’s not going to happen better to have beef jerky on a trail break then off and riding again.

If you see me having a braut and a beer trail side don’t stop you won’t have time

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    Well, you don't have to chuck wagon to the letter. Everyone can bring a little something.
    Some of me and my kids best times is out somewhere chilling out during a ride, having a sandwich and a thermos of hot soup to go with it.

Hott Dogg trailside stand.

Weenie Dogs.jpg

Its been done before.

Someone posts it every year but here it is again. To the good old days https://youtu.be/SeBCmDQTavU

I made a post in another thread about getting a group of riders together, one person hauling a chuck wagon, going to some place, building a bonfire and having some fun like they use to do in the old days of snowmobiling...

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Great! Now I'm gonna have that song bouncing around in my head all day.

Manitowish Waters, WI and Village of Summit, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by chords View Post
    Hott Dogg trailside stand.

Weenie Dogs.jpg

Its been done before.
    Is this the place east of Marquette, MI?

Looks like the one north of Seney to me, but I can't see it real clearly

Way back in the day we used to stay at KI Sawyer Airforce base in the barracks for $50 per night. It was a private room with bath and they had a restaurant and bar that they ran which was pretty good if you didn't want to go out. It was a great place to base out of and you could cover a lot of the UP from there.

After the base closed the officers' club became a restaurant called The Red Fox Inn...unfortunately it closed 3 - 4 yrs ago...really decent food at not outrageous prices...

as to your hot dog stand, were you maybe thinking of Lakenenland, the sculpture park east of Marquette right on the trail? They used to have a campfire right beside the trail but only coffee and hot chocolate as far as I can remember...didn't happen over there last couple yrs for whatever reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    After the base closed the officers' club became a restaurant called The Red Fox Inn...unfortunately it closed 3 - 4 yrs ago...really decent food at not outrageous prices...

as to your hot dog stand, were you maybe thinking of Lakenenland, the sculpture park east of Marquette right on the trail? They used to have a campfire right beside the trail but only coffee and hot chocolate as far as I can remember...didn't happen over there last couple yrs for whatever reasons...
    That would be the place, now that you mention the sculptures which I totally forgot about. I remember that you could take a little ride through the sculptures on your sled. The Red Fox Inn it was! and yes, the food was pretty good. It was a great place to end the evening after a long day. When we used to ride up there we would have at least one 300+ mile day during our stay. Good memories, now we base out of Manitowish Waters, WI and don't get to Upper Michigan anymore. Probably be back sometime.

Now that I thought more about it The Red Fox Inn was the name of the hotel/motel right there that the former O club was in...the restaurant itself was called "Tailwinds"...took me a minute to come up with that

Quote Originally Posted by pclark View Post
    Is this the place east of Marquette, MI?
    Almost looks like the stand on the AAA trail outside of Big Bay. -Mezz

Now that I thought more about it The Red Fox Inn was the name of the hotel/motel right there that the former O club was in...the restaurant itself was called "Tailwinds"...took me a minute to come up with that
    Another favorite stop was a place called Camel Riders Inn I believe that was what it was called way back in the forest. Great stop for lunch, always wanted to have dinner there but we would have had a long ride back to Gwinn area. Always remember the gas stop where the old Indian had sleds lined up waiting for to gas up and he always had a huge smile and wad of cash in his hand. Bring back the good times!

Camel Riders is just about 3 mi. from us...you should have made dinner...best food in the U.P....you pay for it but it's still the best...they're closed right now because of the panicdemic

Camel Riders is just about 3 mi. from us...you should have made dinner...best food in the U.P....you pay for it but it's still the best...they're closed right now because of the panicdemic
    Do you know if they will open up this winter? They do have great food, and normally aren't as crowded as The Buckhorn.

I think your right about that hotdog stand. Looks like the one south of Bigbay to me. It has not been there since 2005 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    Do you know if they will open up this winter? They do have great food, and normally aren't as crowded as The Buckhorn.

Sonia posted on their facebook announcement of the closing that they planned to re-open whenever it was deemed "safe", whenever that is

Thanks, we keep it on the bucket list as we eventually plan on doing a backpack trip from Northern WI through the UP and back.

Thank you.

Stayed at the red Fox Inn maybe a dozen times, one time I rode with some fellows that were stationed there in the 80s, they had some interesting stories, supposedly that Air Force Base was one of the closest to the Soviet union if you flew up and over the Arctic Circle, they told me there would be B-52’s that would fly up and go to the Arctic Circle on 24 hour missions being refueled in flight waiting for the go ahead from the president to drop the nukes at the Soviet Union if it got to that, kind of some scary stuff if you ask me, when the SALT and SALT 2 treaties were enacted and the Soviet Union disbanded, they weren’t such a threat to us and eventually the base was closed, in the tailwinds restaurant they had an interesting display showing info and photos of the base in action, in it’s hay day there were supposedly thousands of people involved in running that base

Deer jerky and snack sticks are always packed. Muffpot dogs and maybe some Canadian bacon.

I made a post in another thread about getting a group of riders together, one person hauling a chuck wagon, going to some place, building a bonfire and having some fun like they use to do in the old days of snowmobiling but it was dismissed.
    Why have a dedicated food guy? We have had many a fire and a woods fire . Cook some brats eat some sides have some pop and beer . . 5 guys 5 tunnel bags you can haul a lot of food if you want. But a basic sausage and buns and a fist full of gas station condiments is all a crew needs .
    I see a lot of crews on the trails doing just that at trail shelters every yr . We do it a lot at out local shelter and at least 1 or 2 times a yr in the deep woods . Always a good time even with some cheep dogs and buns from a gas station