Results 1 to 31 of 31
  1. #1

    Default What keeps you coming back....

    What keeps you in the sport or keeps you coming back to a particular area??

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,294

    Default

    Well groomed technical twisty trails with both piney and hardwood trees. I could care less about grades fun to rip now and then but otherwise boring. I don’t need a lot of amenities but do need gas and a decent burger plus beverage for lunch. Usually it’s a 200 mile plus day ride using a loop of some sort so always seeing new scenery.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnumb View Post
    What keeps you in the sport
    Winter is a long season if you don't have anything fun to focus on. Snowmobiling helps break up the season for me. While many hate it, I look forward to the next snowfall, even a cold snap is a challenge I look forward to. As to areas to ride, anywhere close to home but if we're traveling then I would have to say Price County has excellent grooming, along with adequate lodging & food. The last few years our club has been going to the Mercer area, also extensive trails and lodging. Think Snow.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    number one... The beauty of the area, will never get sick of the scenery or the people!! other than a few years the snow is always epic ( compared to where we call home ) and The owners at the lodge we stay at, always very welcoming, remember who we are by voice when we call. Finally... how can you not want to come back to the U.P. Hope some day to reside there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lake Barrington Il.
    Posts
    259

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    Well groomed technical twisty trails with both piney and hardwood trees. I could care less about grades fun to rip now and then but otherwise boring. I don’t need a lot of amenities but do need gas and a decent burger plus beverage for lunch. Usually it’s a 200 mile plus day ride using a loop of some sort so always seeing new scenery.
    Couldn’t agree more with trail riding opposed to grades unless you’re in a hurry. My 200 mile days are down to 140-150 especially when my wife is with me and seem to ride a bit slower as the older you get.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Waterford,Wi
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Banjo Man View Post
    Couldn’t agree more with trail riding opposed to grades unless you’re in a hurry. My 200 mile days are down to 140-150 especially when my wife is with me and seem to ride a bit slower as the older you get.
    Don't know if its necessarily slower, just wiser

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    North Aurora, IL.
    Posts
    276

    Default

    What keeps me coming back?
    Waking up in the morning to the nice crisp clean cold air, getting on the trail being the first one on a freshly groomed trail, feeling that rush of adrenaline...blasting the throttle coming out of a corner with one ski off the ground doing a balancing act to keep it level, nothing better in my mind, oh what a sport

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    2,276

    Default

    Trail 135 UP north. Nothing like 80 MPH sweepers. With enough pull left in the 850 to still get my heart racing. Damn that is a lot of fun!!! Most fun you can have with clothes on if you ask me!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.
    Posts
    2,418

    Default

    Bright sunshiny day. A little wind so the dust doesn't hang. About 20 degrees. Small tight riding group. Perfect.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mokena, IL/Spread Eagle, WI
    Posts
    1,271

    Default

    Agree with most of what Whitedust said, which is not surprising since we ride together a lot. I will add that what slimcake said about 80mph sweepers...love them. Trails like 107 and 14 are some of my favorites as well as trail 5 north of Koski up to Big bay. For some of us grades are a blessing to help get from one place to another fast. I look at them like the interstates. We use them to get places fast and not so much for sight seeing. Although some are beautiful as well. The scenery, fresh snow, wild life, hanging out with my son, sometimes wife and friends on the breaks and actually enjoying the winter months instead of dreading them.

    I will add...I want all the snow up north! I don't need any down in Illinois to slow down my business! It's a waste anyway since it lasts maybe a few days then turns to black crappy melted looking snow along the roads within days.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wauwatosa, WI
    Posts
    559

    Default

    Friends who share the the same intense passion I have for snowmobiling. Without them I would sell in a hurry. Very boring riding alone.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ (Displaced Yooper with family connections in Houghton, Ontonagon & Marquette counties.)
    Posts
    3,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Bright sunshiny day. A little wind so the dust doesn't hang. About 20 degrees. Small tight riding group. Perfect.
    Bright sunshiny day?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Cloquet, MN
    Posts
    1,193

    Default

    It’s the couple times/year we have snow coming over the hoods. Its spending time with my family and watching my son really improve his riding. It’s having a fire on the side of a lake and cooking brats or something with a great group of friends. It’s riding at night when it’s snowing so hard you’re not sure where the trail is or when it’s so crystal clear at night you feel you can reach out and grab the stars.
    All of those are what keeps me riding!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    sayner wi
    Posts
    372

    Default

    I'm fortunate to live up here, able to get out early on weekdays on some of the most scenic, perfectly groomed trails in the country..... Prefer the twistys.... easy-going rides vs grades.....avg 150-200 mi days......and you can ride over 500 miles of trails in any direction. I especially love meeting up with my riding buds, as well as our local club rides and overnight trips.
    Some of my best trips/loops were towards Hayward, Copper Harbor, Big Bay and Munising. I sure hope this Covid season does not affect our ability to enjoy a fun and safe season for all.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern IL & East Shore Rd.
    Posts
    431

    Default

    Lake Effect Snow.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    SE Minnesota
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Finally joined the sport last year buying a 2012 Skidoo Renegade 600 and a 2016 Rush Pros S 800. Long story short (great season) .... I rolled the 800. Was the 3rd accident in 10 days. Wife claims both sleds needed to be sold.
    Along comes quarantine.... Wife wants a boat. Agrees to allow me to sell ONE sled to purchase a boat.... I sold the 600 in a week - for exactly what I had into the sled. Fixed the 800....
    I learned a ton last year.
    This year I am running C&A skis with dually slim jims. I added 144 hornet studs.
    What keeps me coming back is my progression as a rider and understanding the sled. I ride with some guys that rip pretty hard. I can't believe how hard I rode my sled with such bad skis, terrible carbides and no studs. Now I'm anxious to ride it and see how it corners.... I am confident I'll need to set up the suspension...... Any ideas or quick tips on adjusting front or rear track shock and the front ski shocks? Best practice? Rules of thumb? I spent last season trying to get bite in the front end instead of pushing through the turns.....adjusting shocks.... Realized my skis and carbides were shot so I upgraded to the C&A and Duallys...... Now I'm trying to dial all of them back to factory settings and adjust from there.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    93

    Default

    What keeps me in the sport, is the love for winter. I love having a great snowmobile that has the power to really pull hard in the straights, rip the corners, plush compared to the older machines, and handle some really deep snow when needed. I love the crisp mornings, the star riddled nights. I love the smell of race gas in the morning. I love crossing lakes At night and seeing the cabins lit with holiday lights. I love seeing family’s with their young kids out riding together, so awesome. I love the start of the season brushing trails with great folks. I love cleaning my sled and going over anything needed for the next season. I love it all start to finish.

    I love going to new places that I have never ridden, but the place that always brings us back, is everything north of Mass. just such good snow all winter long. All the hard working folks who are so nice every time we are there.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Des Plaines, Il
    Posts
    1,039

    Default

    Nothing keeps me going to the same areas over and over if I can help it. Most of my enjoyment comes from finding new trails, new views and new amenities. As I run out of new places to explore, my interest fades. The only thing that limits me is when one of our group needs to rent a sled. There's only so many places for that.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Iron River WI
    Posts
    823

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 440_chazz View Post
    Friends who share the the same intense passion I have for snowmobiling. Without them I would sell in a hurry. Very boring riding alone.
    I do ride alone now that my hubby had got rid of his sled for UTV, there is not too many people in Iron River who still ride (older crowd likes UTV instead) I do miss my Iowa crowd who used to come up, guess they lost interest. My sled is a 2 up incase Hubby does decide to ride tho.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    St Germain, WI
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by venturenorth View Post
    I'm fortunate to live up here, able to get out early on weekdays on some of the most scenic, perfectly groomed trails in the country..... Prefer the twistys.... easy-going rides vs grades.....avg 150-200 mi days......and you can ride over 500 miles of trails in any direction. I especially love meeting up with my riding buds, as well as our local club rides and overnight trips.
    Some of my best trips/loops were towards Hayward, Copper Harbor, Big Bay and Munising. I sure hope this Covid season does not affect our ability to enjoy a fun and safe season for all.
    I'm with ya, Ken.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Stench View Post
    Finally joined the sport last year buying a 2012 Skidoo Renegade 600 and a 2016 Rush Pros S 800. Long story short (great season) .... I rolled the 800. Was the 3rd accident in 10 days. Wife claims both sleds needed to be sold.
    Along comes quarantine.... Wife wants a boat. Agrees to allow me to sell ONE sled to purchase a boat.... I sold the 600 in a week - for exactly what I had into the sled. Fixed the 800....
    I learned a ton last year.
    This year I am running C&A skis with dually slim jims. I added 144 hornet studs.
    What keeps me coming back is my progression as a rider and understanding the sled. I ride with some guys that rip pretty hard. I can't believe how hard I rode my sled with such bad skis, terrible carbides and no studs. Now I'm anxious to ride it and see how it corners.... I am confident I'll need to set up the suspension...... Any ideas or quick tips on adjusting front or rear track shock and the front ski shocks? Best practice? Rules of thumb? I spent last season trying to get bite in the front end instead of pushing through the turns.....adjusting shocks.... Realized my skis and carbides were shot so I upgraded to the C&A and Duallys...... Now I'm trying to dial all of them back to factory settings and adjust from there.
    Slow down brother! Nothing will get you killed (or seriously injured) faster than as a new rider trying to keep up with their buddies that have been doing it for years. Ride at your pace man. Your buddies will stop to let you catch up (eventually. HA!) and if they don't then you need new buddies.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 600_RMK_144 View Post
    Slow down brother! Nothing will get you killed (or seriously injured) faster than as a new rider trying to keep up with their buddies that have been doing it for years. Ride at your pace man. Your buddies will stop to let you catch up (eventually. HA!) and if they don't then you need new buddies.
    Good advise you do sound like the last guy in a pack that’s trying to catch up that pushes thru turns goes wide to oncoming traffic. Your buds should be helping you get peak handling from your sled. Some won’t spend the money but sounds like you will just need some focused help. It’s not wise to ride faster than your skill level or sled control level as it won’t end well. Sometimes just slowing down a bit will help your skis bite sometimes you may be on the throttle when you should be off to complete a tight turn. Use your head change things up while riding to find your sleds sweet spot then go from there. No way a newbie can keep up with experienced riders but rest assured you will improve with time.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    2,697

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 600_RMK_144 View Post
    Slow down brother! Nothing will get you killed (or seriously injured) faster than as a new rider trying to keep up with their buddies that have been doing it for years. Ride at your pace man. Your buddies will stop to let you catch up (eventually. HA!) and if they don't then you need new buddies.
    Well said! It's a little concerning when traction devices enter into the picture with a new rider. Part of being a rider is knowing your limitations as well as what your sled is capable of doing under given situations. Personally, I feel that studs are dangerous to a new rider, be careful & don't get a false sense of security. -Mezz

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    New Berlin, WI
    Posts
    97

    Default

    It is the interesting things that I am able to see that I otherwise would not search out...Like visiting Timm's Hill, or the covered bridge, both in Price County. After fishing the chippewa flowage, I then wanted to cross it in the winter time. I have ridden to the Canadian boarder from Jackman, ME. A few years ago I did a backpack ride from Wabeno to Munising. Hired a guide who took us across the ice to GRande Island and we got to ride on Grande Island all the way around. The sights and views from the edge of the bluffs was amazing; a very technical ride. We then shot down to the clear sprint down on the southern boarder of the UP. Next day we did Miner's Castle, Pcitured Rocks and Grande marais. There are numerous fire towers or scenic overlooks that I have been to and it is my goal to snowmobile in every coutny in WI. I am about 2/3rds done. The next big trip that I would like to do is a backpack trip from either St Germain or Mountain, WI to Houghton/Hancock and ride the entire peninsula. I also particpated in the MS Ride for the first time last year. That was a blast and I got to do what I love doing to help others; Win-Win.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mezz View Post
    Well said! It's a little concerning when traction devices enter into the picture with a new rider. Part of being a rider is knowing your limitations as well as what your sled is capable of doing under given situations. Personally, I feel that studs are dangerous to a new rider, be careful & don't get a false sense of security. -Mezz
    Yep. Not the theme for this thread, but felt it needed to be said. Agree --- If you are adding traction specifically to keep up, then there are likely bigger issues at play (pushing beyond your riding skill).

    Now back to the topic: I love everything about riding. The anticipation of the season. All those You Tube videos you watch late at night in the off-season (no, not THOSE videos), All the pre-season gear, new parts, etc. that you buy up at Hay Days. All the pre-season maintenance getting prepared so you (hopefully) do not have a breakdown. Watching the forecast as the season starts to approach. Nope, that storm didn't pan out. Wait for the next one... NOPE! Then it finally comes and WE ARE ALL OFF for one common reason. To play in the powder. FINALLY we get to try out all that $hit our wife / significant other complained about and said we didn't "need." Her needs and mine are very different!!!! Time to get out and enjoy the sport we all sit around and dream about 8, 9, 10 months out of the year. We buy $hit and spend un-Godly amounts of money in the heat of Summer with the anticipation of using it several months later. He*l, I got two sleds sitting in my garage, one bought in April, the other in July. Zero seat time on either one of them (ok, a fluke storm in Oct we had to get them out)... It all starts with the anticipation and culminates with the ride. Then we do it all over again waiting for the next storm. The next season.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Oh... And let's not forget about PD being back on the site. Miss his wit and unique perspective all Summer. When PD arrives back on the scene, I know that the snow is not far behind. BOOOOOM!!!!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.
    Posts
    2,071

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevinj View Post
    It is the interesting things that I am able to see that I otherwise would not search out...Like visiting Timm's Hill, or the covered bridge, both in Price County.
    Smith Rapids.JPG

    Been there several times Kevin. One of my favorite places to stop and take a break, usually on my way to Moose Jaw for lunch.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,200

    Default

    Not sure if it is 3 foot rollers that go on for 100s of mi or the dumpy cabins full of mouse **** or the rain when it was supose to snow freezing on your goggles all day or the driving 19hrs to rock hard snow then the last 2 days to have white out conditions so bad you can't see the bumper .
    Or my favorite one sitting in a restaurant and have the wIt staff tell the tale how you should have been here last week when it was this or that . Then I really love the part where you spend 12k for a 600 and in 3 yrs you feel good about getting 6k for it lol just a dream
    But 1 day of pow over the windshield makes up for most of it

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    797

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    Not sure if it is 3 foot rollers that go on for 100s of mi or the dumpy cabins full of mouse **** or the rain when it was supose to snow freezing on your goggles all day or the driving 19hrs to rock hard snow then the last 2 days to have white out conditions so bad you can't see the bumper .
    Or my favorite one sitting in a restaurant and have the wIt staff tell the tale how you should have been here last week when it was this or that . Then I really love the part where you spend 12k for a 600 and in 3 yrs you feel good about getting 6k for it lol just a dream
    But 1 day of pow over the windshield makes up for most of it
    Nailed It!

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    Not sure if it is 3 foot rollers that go on for 100s of mi or the dumpy cabins full of mouse **** or the rain when it was supose to snow freezing on your goggles all day or the driving 19hrs to rock hard snow then the last 2 days to have white out conditions so bad you can't see the bumper .
    Or my favorite one sitting in a restaurant and have the wIt staff tell the tale how you should have been here last week when it was this or that . Then I really love the part where you spend 12k for a 600 and in 3 yrs you feel good about getting 6k for it lol just a dream
    But 1 day of pow over the windshield makes up for most of it
    Lmao, been there, done that for sure, and I wouldn't have it any other way!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Being from a small town in Illinois, N Wisc/U.P. is an escape, and a great one at that, we have our favorite spots and our favorite trails, and all the snow is icing on the cake for me..... Minoqua, Mercer, Ironwood, Silver City, Munising, Houghton.... My grandparents use to take us grandkids up to Minoqua every summer to fish and man, I hated that drive, now days I sell it to my buddies as a short little 7hr drive, funny how things change and I cant wait to get there. Everyone always looks forward to our stories and pictures when we get back, they know the fun we have. If the bars and restaurants are shut down it will be a hard sell to get my group to come up, the beverages and great food are near the top of our list.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    806

    Default

    Well groomed trails, plenty of snow, coming around a sweeper corner and squeezing the flipper. Braaaaaap!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» January 2021

S M T W T F S
2728293031 1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
31 123456

» Stats

Members: 20,369
Threads: 29,101
Posts: 344,584

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0