Default hey old man winter... what gives??

Is it just me or does it seem as the start of winter (although I know not officially winter yet) even for the north woods getting pushed further and further out? even on Johns extended forecast only potential for LES. Things can change quickly and it is early yet but usually see some promise by now. After this crazy year I'm sure there are lots of us who need some escape and some throttle time. Fingers crossed for many that he wields his ugly face and soon!!

There is a trough over the west that is causing this boring weather. One hand I feel its good to stay dry so that mud holes freeze up and crops get out, but I am getting antsy and its only day 1. 13 deg this morning so thats a good start!

I can't agree more, looking to go Dec 17th for a shake down. I'm getting tired of garage carving. lol Although it can change in a blink of an eye in Toivola!

It's just weather. Last year on this date I was riding in snow over my knees.

20191201_143627.jpg
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

I’m good with below freezing temps up north at night setting swamps and lakes up. Snow will come always does especially in the UP. Good Sleddin usually Xmas and after New year. A little slow now but no big deal yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    It's just weather. Last year on this date I was riding in snow over my knees
    Not over my knees but I was riding out of the garage last year on this date also!
    CAC49E41-EBAB-4EBA-8AB4-C922C07C369C.jpg

Boring.....

Quote Originally Posted by whitedust View Post
    I’m good with below freezing temps up north at night setting swamps and lakes up. Snow will come always does especially in the UP. Good Sleddin usually Xmas and after New year. A little slow now but no big deal yet.
    True that!

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Boring.....
    Definitely - but it is staying cooler up north, so we got that going for us....

Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Boring.....
    forecast in our neck of the woods said wont see seasonal temps or potential for moisture until middle of month uuuugh! winter officially 20 days away yet though, would like to see a sign though

I'm with ya, Pete. Trails are setting up real nice this year. Besides, we can't run in Wisconsin until after Muzzleloader season which ends this year, I think, about Dec 12th. Hope the snow starts piling up starting next week. Clubs are allowed to pan and groom B4 season starts.

20191201_143627.jpg
    Over the knees doesn't count when your as short as a yard gnome!! Just kidding of course... Sometimes winter takes its time to set in, but, it always does, this is Dec 21st of 08,12-21-08 - First Ride #2.jpeg Deep everywhere 01-08-11.jpg The next is Jan 8th 2011. Both first runs of the year as there was no snow until day's before each of these. Patience snow hopper, patience.......-Mezz
    Last edited by mezz; 12-01-2020 at 11:09 AM.

Well said Mezz, Brian I’m doing my best to have winter show up early because I still have a couple weeks worth of things that need to be done before it shows up.

20191201_143627.jpg
    Yep, last year on this date I was clearing 24" of snow out of my driveway. But usually we aren't riding trails til xmas, forest roads we can start sooner so I'm OK still. I did have 1 degree driving in today so thats good, we need the cold.

Yep big lakes are freezing over nice and the trails have a nice hard snow crust base on them right now. Going to take a nice snow storm to roll threw then we r off to a great start!!

We need 5 more solid days of nice clear weather to finish getting off the corn. Then it can start dumping. Our corn was out in the fields till April last year. Not something I want to see again.

Need help? I can run a combine or drive a semi----prob not legal for me to do it in WI. When I was in ND, on a regular license you could drive a tractor/trailer for farm biz up to 150 miles from point of origin.

I was going to start a thread about the season being "officially" open...but it would be a bastage keeping them cool, what with the bare dirt and all...at least here in the central U.P.

We've been here since the early 2000's and I remember at least 1 other year when we didn't really have rideable snow until after Jan 1st...thankfully I only remember 1...

One year ago at my place
    5B51C9A2-D230-4A6F-ABBD-79487E588AD8.jpg

Seems winter comes later now a days. But goes longer on the back end. Have had some great rides in April.

Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.

Glad i got 10 mi. On in the middle of oct.

Quote Originally Posted by euphoric1 View Post
    Does it seem as the start of winter for the north woods is getting pushed further and further out?!
    Thats b/c it has been. N Lower large lakes 45 yrs ago used to be froze safe early/middle Jan, the pattern now is late Jan/early Feb. It changes yr to yr but yes it has changed.

Hallock MN. 20 miles south of Canada - 10 miles east of ND.

So you are saying.......our bigfoot arctic cat rider is right?

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    Darn right, the poles have shifted!

Quote Originally Posted by grub View Post
    NO he only thinks U Tube is right. I'm talking from my experience threw the years

Making good ice these nights, with lows in the mid teens. I've been walking a bit farther out each day on the ice, and starting to see people walk the edges.
    I was out about 20 yards today. No open spots in the middle for 4 days. With no snow cover out there, we're making ice fast. Don't need any warm ups.

Did you find the dog chain?

Old man winter and mother nature need to stop social distancing from each other, have a few cocktails, make some bad decisions past midnight and get this party started!

Quote Originally Posted by katden4 View Post
    old man winter and mother nature need to stop social distancing from each other, have a few cocktails, make some bad decisions past midnight and get this party started!
    lmao, perfect!

It's only December 2nd, but it's the extended forecast that is disheartening. Not a chance of snow as far as you can see with temps in the 40s. That puts us into mid December at least, we will be lucky if there is snow by Christmas.

lmao, perfect!
    X2!

I seem to remember in La Nina years past that it took awhile for Winter to come, but when it did BLAMO it REALLY DID. ;O)

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt69 View Post
    I seem to remember in La Nina years past that it took awhile for Winter to come, but when it did BLAMO it REALLY DID. ;O)
    Yep. Was it 14 or 15, no good rideable snow in the yoop the whole month of December, then January arrived! Took my last ride that season in May!

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post

No but I remember correctly I may have found a garden hose that time.

Quote Originally Posted by wirev View Post
    Need help? I can run a combine or drive a semi----prob not legal for me to do it in WI. When I was in ND, on a regular license you could drive a tractor/trailer for farm biz up to 150 miles from point of origin.
    The problem is not owning our own semi. Didn't get one till noon today for the load that was prepared last night. Only getting out 4 loads a day. Two neighbors with semi's are still hauling for others, and one had one blow the motor up so they are waiting on parts. Grain elevators all shut down both full weekends of deer hunting. Not having Saturday open really slows things down. The elevator is also focusing on hauling all the corn they can to the river right now; which is taking trucks away from hauling for farmers.

Now, if we owned our own semi in the farm name then I could have the reverend come on down and drive as long as it was only for our farm. Unfortunately that currently is not an option. Thank you for the offer wirev. We just can't do it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt69 View Post
    Don't forget what John said in his Seasonal Forecast below for Region 1, the NW Midwest.

"Another caveat to the idea for this region is that the true colder and snowier than average conditions might not arrive until the second half of the winter.None the less, the outlook is quite promising!"

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    Don't forget what John said in his Seasonal Forecast below for Region 1, the NW Midwest.

"Another caveat to the idea for this region is that the true colder and snowier than average conditions might not arrive until the second half of the winter.None the less, the outlook is quite promising!"

Look at this guy and his half full glass!! I like!! Thanks for the reminder!!

Spooner area a year ago.

12-1-19.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by mspease View Post
    Spooner area a year ago.

12-1-19.jpg
    Yep, Winter came (IMO) Too Early last year, we had that awful Thanksgiving Storm of heavy, wet snow which left us Yoopers (& Part Time Yoopers) in the dark for days cuz of the power outages.

Wouldn't wish that on anyone, man did we STINK after 4 days LOL

We had 18"+ on the ground on December 1st and couldn't open trails until the 15th due to the extended deer hunt. Man I hate that! Our season is too short to be delayed!!

I always take a few days off this week after Thanksgiving to sign and brush my section of trail. Last year, here in Central WI, we had 7" of snow. That made working a little less than desirable. My ATV had a hard time in some places. This year it's hard to complain. No snow, almost no frost, good temps. I'd take this every year. Our club has a signing and brushing day this coming Saturday. After that, bring on the cold, then the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by jr37 View Post
    I always take a few days off this week after Thanksgiving to sign and brush my section of trail. Last year, here in Central WI, we had 7" of snow. That made working a little less than desirable. My ATV had a hard time in some places. This year it's hard to complain. No snow, almost no frost, good temps. I'd take this every year. Our club has a signing and brushing day this coming Saturday. After that, bring on the cold, then the snow.
    Same here. Usually take 4 days off this week to mark/brush. These are ideal temps for that. Bring it after this weekend!

Heikki Lunta is in quarantine for 2 weeks. He can't get out and do his snow dance song.

You all can blame me... Two sleds bought in the off-season. I knew this would happen.

Smaller lakes and ponds are making ice right now, even here on the south side of the Twin Cities - this hopefully small delay to the riding season may be a blessing in disguise....

Starting to get worried.....2 weeks out til first trip planned.......come on LES!!!!!!!!

Hang in there guys. We all know how fast things can change around here❄️❄️❄️

Quote Originally Posted by 600_RMK_144 View Post
    You all can blame me... Two sleds bought in the off-season. I knew this would happen.
    Our crew has joked about the same thing. Between 6 of us we have gotten 9 new or almost new sleds this fall.

No surprise here. New sled and new sled trailer.... I knew this was gonna happen...

Friends 2021 sidewinder ltx and a new old 2004 F6 with 300 miles on it in my garage....... Thought I brought on the bad mojo.

Well it's not my fault! With the corn still out in the field we should be buried in snow. My kids are worse then you guys though. My 13 year old went and started every sled he could yesterday to make sure they were ready. I still don't know how he got my 2011 cfr 800 to turn over. He wasn't able to start the 1000 2stroke yet. Serious snow on the brain there.

WorkHardPlaylast..how bout a picture of that big cfr800(after the corn is out first). Had a 2009 wish/should never have gotten rid of that thing!! 1of my favorite sleds and biggest hose jobs Ive ever taken on trade in too.Looking back should of left it sit in the corner and used for a backup/or buddies to ride. They either made a bunch of them and everyones got them tucked away ,or they didnt make that many and thats why i dont see them for sale or on trailers/trails?

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    WorkHardPlaylast..how bout a picture of that big cfr800(after the corn is out first). Had a 2009 wish/should never have gotten rid of that thing!! 1of my favorite sleds and biggest hose jobs Ive ever taken on trade in too.Looking back should of left it sit in the corner and used for a backup/or buddies to ride. They either made a bunch of them and everyones got them tucked away ,or they didnt make that many and thats why i dont see them for sale or on trailers/trails?
    I'll put a picture up a little later. It's in the garage with our 120's and I answered 3 Craigslist posts today that were looking for kids sleds. All answered back within 30 minutes. The first was a woman that if they start and my pictures are truthful the three stock 120's will be gone on Saturday. People are just going nuts for sleds! We kept the 800 and the 1000, and my 15 year old daughter has an 2009 800 in orange.

No new additions to my fleet so no blame can be placed on me! Haha here’s a pic from this time Last year. We were full blown tree riding the valleys without hitting much at all underneath by middle of December last year in the yoop. Such a depressing start to the winter. 3D9176FB-FCCE-4173-9479-AE1C355FB525.jpeg

Ahhh yes! You have love those kind of pilot ejections, soft & fluffy... -Mezz

Okay, I will be your fall guy. I have to admit I fall asleep listening to this song each night with dreams of a "green" Christmas and sugar plums in my head. A green Christmas has never happened for me yet. I think of the $250 I will save by not having to pay someone to shovel my roof and then I play the song one more time always being careful not to play the flip side.

20201204_000056.jpg
    20201204_000008.jpg

There's the 800 surrounded by it's little friends just waiting for snow. My 13 year old can't wait to get his hands on it, but he has a horrible condition he inherited from his parents called " a need for speed." He's already had the ZL600 at 92 mph, and I know he won't be able to resist putting it to the handle bar. Since I know it can do 122 mph there is no way I'm letting him on it yet. He needs more maturity before he's allowed on it. Right now it's my backup sled. 6600 miles and totally trusted. We kept them because they didn't want to give us anything on trade either. Just couldn't hand them over for peanuts. 5 kids and maybe need for backup so we kept them. I don't regret that decision at all.
    Last edited by WorkHardPlayHrd; 12-04-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Nice rides Workhard!

Looks good thanks. Thats awesome keeping the young ones involved.

Trails were already groomed at this time last season. Not enough snow to ride, yet alone groom so far this season. Plus trail 3 is still barricaded for logging even if there was more snow today. Every year is different and this year even more so. Maybe instead of whining we should all be thankful for the good times we've had and the good times to come. Hopefully we will still be around to enjoy them.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I bet we have a good year. Never works out when it snows early .C'mon mother nature do your thing.

Made reservations for news years ,if conditions dont change by then,ill be bringing the quad along also,thatll be a first, guess i better get a heated shield plug in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by fishcrib View Post
    I bet we have a good year. Never works out when it snows early .C'mon mother nature do your thing.
    I do agree with this, it seems to never work out when it snows early. Always have the dreaded holiday meltdown, maybe we can avoid that this year.

It will come.

But right now it feels like I'm living in Wisconsin, Illinois or some other place. I don't like it.

We're really looking forward to the first big snowstorm of the season. We always enjoy it. We are making ice pretty good right now; saw ice fishermen about 100 yards out today. Not sure how thick it is, however. Maybe 3-5" or so?

on way into shop this morning was snowing enough in an isolated area to cover dirt in fields and roof tops, just a reminder that it is coming. Was nice to see nut supposed to be 50 by mid week uuuugh!!

John's journal tonight is promising for things to change later this week! We will know more when John's forecast comes out.

Mark look out the window ,it’s raining

We just managed to get the last of the corn off by driving over frozen swamp with a 40,000 lb combine. So the cold has done it's job. Now the crop is off. Yayyyyyy!!!! Please, please let the storm come back up here.

Quote Originally Posted by WorkHardPlayHrd View Post
    We just managed to get the last of the corn off by driving over frozen swamp with a 40,000 lb combine. So the cold has done it's job. Now the crop is off. Yayyyyyy!!!! Please, please let the storm come back up here.
    I'm a city boy. Where does your corn go now? Do you know what it gets used for?

Patience snow hopper, Patience.... It will come....-Mezz

Some of our corn got shipped to the river (Mississippi) to go on barges. That likely will get shipped internationally for feed grain for cattle or swine. The rest which is yet to actually be sold will likely end up going for ethanol. There is a chance that if Gold n Plump in Arcadia gets low on grain for their chickens that they will pay a premium then we would haul it there.

Need to find a tutorial on how to make it snow. Extended forecast looks like a desert here in MN.

Perhaps we can all chip in and "seed" the clouds for snow?? Desperate times call for desperate measures!!!

"The most common chemicals used for cloud seeding include silver iodide, potassium iodide and dry ice (solid carbon dioxide). Liquid propane, which expands into a gas, has also been used. This can produce ice crystals at higher temperatures than silver iodide. After promising research, the use of hygroscopic materials, such as table salt, is becoming more popular.[3]

When cloud seeding, increased snowfall takes place when temperatures within the clouds are between −4 and 19 F (−20 and −7 C).[4] Introduction of a substance such as silver iodide, which has a crystalline structure similar to that of ice,[5] will induce freezing nucleation."

^^^yeah, what he said.
    Looks like first trips getting cancelled.

Aside from my cloud seeding idea I was thinking about the UP overall and then suddenly it hit me......LES....the UP gets most of its snow from the great snow making machine Superior! So, what we're all holding onto is an actual storm to hit (which we need and would be welcomed of course) BUT, we just need the Lake Effect Snow machine to fire up (Well, if you're one with reservations in late Dec to snowmobile in the UP like me) so hopefully that starts to happen and we can all get our sled fix soon!

Welp looks like the big one is official now. NWS posted a Winter Storm Watch in effect for N Lower 6" - 9" Ye Haw

Upper 40's last few days here in Presque Isle area - we had good ice, with many fisherman, but I wouldn't be out there now. Full sun

Watching closely we might take a cruise over there on Sunday

Looking like some of us may get a head start on winter with colder temps to follow, hopefully it will stay and maybe with the push of colder air coming it will be the fuel the LES snow machine needs to get started

Quote Originally Posted by snobuilder View Post

Hilarious, done that twice.
    Sheer pins or not, getting chain/cable unwrapped is gonna take you some time.

Bear