Default Lake Ice - NW Vilas

We are making good ice these nights. Lows in the mid to upper teens the last 3-4 days. I've walked out about 20 yards beyond the dock, seems solid.
    Ice fisherman are on the lake today, close to shore, within 20-30 yards. High was about 36 today, but won't be long for solid ice, if no major warmups.
    Weather pattern is strange....I've never lived in a place with such calm winds every day, after 50+ years in southeastern WI. Just beautiful weather.

Thank you for the info!

I hear from buddies small lakes around Minoqua went from 2 to 5" in 4 days. They are fishing. Cant wait. I trade them Elk for pan fish, walleye.

2-5 in already good progress. Not having grown up in the great northwoods how thick can the ice get in the winter typically, I know mother nature has alot to with this just asking in general.

Oneida Co WI. Just south of Minocqua. South Blue lake has had winters where the ice is only 12" and others over 50". I know because the hand ice auger, operated by 3 people, could not get thru it. I've seen 12" of snow on top of 12" of water on top of 36" of ice. Snow cover, temperatures, wind, sun and timing of each determine thickness.

How did it do with the warm temps the last few days?

There were guys out on Little Arbor Vitae Lake today----and some were out quite a distance, maybe 100 yards [scary]

Quote Originally Posted by katden4 View Post
    How did it do with the warm temps the last few days?
    People ice fishing in Cisco lake on Cisco chain. And temperature has just dropped below 20

People were back on our lake fishing today. It wasn't above 22 all day, and 19 right now, with light snow.

I highly recommend going out and ice fishing. Or just being a mile off shore on the ice early morn dark or past dark. Fish or not but you will experience sights and sounds around you or in the sky not to be found at 3000 rpms

lots of people fishing and ice skating on the minocqua chain yesterday and today

I came home today from Minocqua saw kids playing hockey on the sw section of the lake looking from the bridge. Saw people cross county skiing on the lake also. I walked on the ice by the boat launch was scared to go out but a big group was ice fishing.

My neighbors set up a race course on the ice this weekend and were racing their motorcycles all weekend long. We should be making even better ice this week, I suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by matti View Post
    My neighbors set up a race course on the ice this weekend and were racing their motorcycles all weekend long. We should be making even better ice this week, I suspect.
    Thats awesome! Get her all froze up good before we get huge snows in the coming weeks!!

Low of about 12 last night and 2" of lake effect. Starting to clear up a bit now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
    Low of about 12 last night and 2" of lake effect. Starting to clear up a bit now.
    9 below in TRF, MN this morning..couldn't help myself..Its cold here.

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by 1fujifilm View Post
    9 below in TRF, MN this morning..couldn't help myself..Its cold here.

Bear
    It was 9 below in Grand Forks this morning also, it has been so warm this fall that today was the first day that I didn't wear shorts, had to put jeans on

Good Lord, -9 in mid Dec., we were at -2 overnight, with a high of 17 today. Light snow right now, holding at 16.

One thing good about no snow, the lakes and swamps will be in much better condition to start the season. Now that we have ice, BRING ON THE SNOW!