Default 2021 John Dee Stimulus Project - Auction

Folks have been asking, so I want to share information about the upcoming JDSP Auction. The online auction is intended to go live this evening and will be accessible at https://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-s...roject-auction once we hit the "live" button.

The auction site will be turned on later tonight, prior to the opening bids starting tomorrow so you can view the items in advance if you wish.

The online auction bidding for all items will begin at 8:00 a.m. EST tomorrow (January 21). Items will be separated between 2 Heats.

• Heat #1 items will be open for bidding starting tomorrow and close out on Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 6:00 p.m. EST.
    • Heat #2 items will be open for bidding until Saturday, February 13, at 6:00 p.m. EST.

Make sure you know what Heat the item is in, so as not to be surprised by the closing date.

The headliner item, Slimcake's 1980 Polaris TX-C 340 vintage sled will be included in Heat #2, so get ready to start bidding bright and early tomorrow morning. Details for each of the items are included on the auction site, along with the terms and conditions of the auction. Each item will have a starting minimum bid, along with a minimum incremental bid (these amounts are not the same for each item).

We will be using an automatic extension approach to the bidding. Any bid received within 10 minutes of the closing time will automatically extend the bidding by another 10 minutes. This should allow plenty of time for anyone interested to keep right on bidding until the last man or woman standing.

Due to the generosity of Slimcake (Caledonia Implement), the Peppermill Lodge, Grove Outdoor Power, and several other sponsors listed in with the auction items, we currently have about 10 items in the auction. We anticipate more on the way, and additional items can be added as received. So if you have been thinking about donating items, or know someone who might, it is not too late. We will add items until the last week of the event if we receive additional donations.

Bidders will be asked to register on the auction site. Registration does not obligate you in any way, it is just our way of tracking the bids and sending reminders to active bidders who may be outbid. So you can expect to be notified when someone ups the ante on you. But as with all technology, it may not be foolproof, so check the site often.

Our goal is to raise $5,000 from the auction to help businesses in need. Please be as generous as you are able; tell your friends; send the link, etc. The more the merrier!

Thanks so much, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or concerns. - bayfly

Here she is. Its a twin to my first snowmobile. Its been up on the shelf for to long now. Its time for someone else to enjoy it. There will be a whole bunch of pictures on the auction site but if there is anything you are wondering feel free to reach out. I am humbled by the generosity of this group and all who have donated. Looking forward to meeting the winning bidder!!!IMG_20210116_172844387.jpg

Hey Slimcake, the sled pictures look awesome! The auction site is now active, and bidding will be opened up tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. Everyone interested can now register on the auction site, view the items, and get ready to begin bidding.

Thanks everyone!

I did a little digging on the Vintage Sled archive, and "The Sled" has a bit of history here on the JD Forum. I came across a quote about the value of Slimcake's sled from April 2015. My understanding is that vintage sleds do not go down in value! There should be some spirited bidding on this prize starting very soon.

Value is definitely a tricky thing. I have seen quite a few ďrestorableĒ 80 TXís going for around $800 with the TX-Lís going for slightly more. Given the condition, model, and the fact that it is a true survivor, I would think it is worth quite a bit more.

Itís purely a guess, but I would be thinking around $1800, maybe a little more, maybe a little less. If you paid less, I think you got a good deal. If you paid more, itís on the high end but maybe not completely out of line with the potential value. Unlike a lot of things, these sleds are never really going to depreciate.

And their off! The JDSP Auction is now live at https://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-s...roject-auction

Please register for bidding using the instructions provided at this link. Letís get it going!

Nice job. Much more than just the sled to bid on too guys ..... Check it out.

Thanks eagle1, you are correct. There are currently 9 items on the auction block, and more will be added as they come in.

Please check out the current list, and stay tuned for more . . .

With the new snow, I bet that new blower from Grove Outdoor Power will come in handy!

Have at it!

Only 8 hours into the bidding and we've eclipsed $2,700 in bids!
    We have some competitive members... fun to watch!

https://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-s...t-auction/grid

The auction was open for only an hour and Todd from 906 Services stepped forward to donate 2 new helmets! Both items have been added to the online silent auction. Thanks for the support 906 Services in Ontonagon, Michigan. Once again, this sled community steps up to help those businesses who have supported us. Thanks Todd and all the crew at 906 Services, Inc.

http://Www.906servicesup.com

I see that "The Sled" is now up to $1,500 in the auction. Good progress after only two days on the auction block. I did more research on this exact sled from posting to the John Dee Discussion Board in 2015. Apparently there were some questions about what the "C" stood for on the TX-C model. Many folks are aware of the TX model, but not the TX-C due to its limited production and distribution. Can you say, rare find? Read on . . .

"Iíve always thought that the ďCĒ does, in fact, stand for ďCross CountryĒ. In the earlier models Ė say 79, the hood was a different color (all blue) and the sled had a much bigger windshield that was mounted in front of the hood vent. They also had these funky little tool kits down by the foot rests. I think the difference in the 80ís chassis was less obvious.

Based on what Iíve seen in the classifieds, the TX-Cís are much rarer than the TXís and TX-Lís. I hardly ever see one for sale. Thatís a very cool sled. I would grab it in a heartbeat. There just arenít that many out there. Since youíve had a TX, I donít have to tell you that the motors are overachievers. They will wind up in the 9000 range, no problem. Would you run up big miles? No, but on a smooth trail these sleds are still a blast to ride."

Through the generosity of Mark from Timberline Sports in Bergland, MI, https://www.timberlinesport.com/ there is now a 2-day sled rental on the auction.

Thanks Mark, for your donation to this worthy cause, and all of your time and effort to help make the John Dee Stimulus Project a success!

Visit the auction site to see what else has been added recently.

Hardly a day goes by that we don't receive another donation to the JDSP auction. The response from everyone has truly been amazing. The auction is now up to 18 items with more on the way! We will quickly exceed our original auction goal with the new items along with some spirited bidding.

Well, today the auction addition is special because it comes from none other than JohnDee.com. Just added is a pair of Slydog Powder Hound Skis. These are an "out of the box" item that may have been used a bit, having a few scuff marks on the bottoms. We all know how little John actually rides these days, so if they were used at all you can bet it was ever so slightly!

Note that the carbides (which are included) are just like new, and are sold separately if you were to buy these skis outright.

Thanks John for your generous donation! Please check out all the auction items at http://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-st...t-auction/grid

I will be sending images of the skis to be posted on the auction site to show the condition of them. The tops, loops and carbides are like new. Only the bottoms have a few scuffs.

-John

Well another day, and another new addition to the John Dee Stimulus Project auction! This time, Steve and his U.P. sledding buddies at Halron Lubricants, Inc. in Green Bay https://www.halron.com/ have offered up the Lucas Oil Bundle. Included in this bundle is a case of synthetic Lucas Oil 2-cycle snowmobile oil in both gallons (4-pack) and quarts (6-pack), as well as a 12-pack of Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner. This is all packaged into one auction item worth about $300. Now, let's not go down the rabbit hole of oil brand preferences, but if Lucas Oil is your brand this would be an ideal time to snatch up some much needed oil and additives. Halron Lubricants has also offered to ship this product direct to the winning bidder! You can't do better than that, now can you!

Please don't forget to spread the word about the auction to your friends, family, and acquaintances. The auction has already exceeded our initial goal of $5,000, and with more items we may be able to double that when it is all said and done.

Thanks everyone!

I guess we can't end a day without a new item added to the JDSP auction. A patron of the Sidnaw Station donated a tab at the restaurant, bar, and gas station to the auction. For any of you riding that area of the trail system, you probably realize how vital the Sidnaw Station is for gas, food, and refreshments. Sue, Jen, and the folks at the Sidnaw Station are downright friendly, and ready to welcome you to their establishment. Many remember the Station under the watchful eye of Tom and Bev; those two were a hoot! Things have changed over the years, but what has not changed is their willingness to make your riding experience enjoyable. Please take some time to review the auction items, do some bidding, and support the John Dee Stimulus Project!

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed in any way!

Since it has been a few days since the last announcement of an addition to the auction, you might be thinking a few new additions should be rolling on. Bingo! Our latest new auction item was generously donated by Steve and Diane of the Big Buck Cabin in Greenland, MI http://www.exploringthenorth.com/bigbuck/cabin.html.

Steve and Diane have donated 3 consecutive nights lodging in this beautiful facility for up to 4 guests. This offer is good through March 31, 2022, so if you are not able to squeeze in a trip this season you can still use this next year. Of course, the area is due for some significant snowfall yet this year, so why wait?

Please check out all of the auction items at https://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-s...roject-auction

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed to the John Dee Stimulus Project in any way!

A reminder that Heat #1 of the Auction ends bidding this Saturday, February 6th at 6:00 p.m. EST. The auction has adopted an automatic extension approach so that any bid received within 10 minutes of closing automatically extends the bidding another 10 minutes. So actually the bidding does not end once extended until no bids are received for 10 minutes. So if your strategy is to slide in a bid right before closing to snatch up an item, you may have to adjust your approach a bit!

Also, a reminder that the there are 4 items in Heat #1: (1) Stihl cordless chain saw; (2) FXR modular helmet; (3) Fly Racing pit coat; and (4) Fly Racing barstools. Everything else on the auction continues until February 13th. So if you are not successful in bidding for Heat #1, you get a still have a chance to grab some great items in Heat #2.

Please visit the auction site to view the items, refer it to your friends, co-workers, family, etc. You do need to register on the auction site to place a bid, but registering in no way obligates you to anything. It just opens the door to the fun!

Thanks again for all of our generous donors, and those who have chosen to participate.

It is great to see that there are currently 22 items on the auction, and that the total bidding is now over $6,000! That is well over our initial expectations with hopefully some spirited bidding yet to come down the stretch.

Another new item was added to the auction so please check it out. Mike and Renee from the Adventure Hotel in Mass City generously donated a 2-night stay for up to 3 people at their facility. The Hotel is located nearly on the Bill Nichols Trail and they certainly cater to the snowmobile crowd. You can see from the auction pictures that they welcome riders to this area, and based on their Facebook reviews, their guests definitely appreciate their genuine hospitality.

It's great to see that some bidding has already been posted on this new item . . . please keep it coming!

Thanks everyone, and thank you Mike and Renee!

Hi Folks! Once again we have new items posted to the online auction. I call your attention to the donation received from Jerry at The Pit Stop Bar & Grill on the Bill Nichols Trail in Greenland, MI. There are 4 separate, $25 gift certificates added to the auction. These items can be picked up by the winning bidders at Pat's Motorsports in Greenland. Whether you are a long-time patron of The Pit Stop, or a newcomer who would like to stop in for some refreshments, burgers, pizza, or just appetizers, these gift certificates will come in handy.

Don't be shy about bidding up these items, even if the bid exceeds the face value, since your bid will all go toward the John Dee Stimulus Project fundraiser to help small businesses in the area. Remember, the first $25 of your bid will come back to you in food and/or refreshments at The Pit Stop Bar & Grill.

Thanks Jerry, and thanks to all who have participated and/or donated to the JDSP Auction.

The bar tab concept has taken hold on the JDSP auction with the addition of four (4) $25 bar tabs at the Rousseau Bar in Mass City. These bar tabs were generously donated by a loyal patron of the Rousseau Bar. What a great idea, since the purchase of the bar tabs helps out this business immediately, the auction bidding on the bar tabs provides money for stimulus payments to businesses, and redeeming the bar tabs brings extra people in to the bar. Sounds like a win-win-win!

You do have to check this place out if you have never been. The Rousseau Bar has been open since 1936, and from the online descriptions it doesn't sound like the place has changed a whole lot over the years. Their friendly staff and customers will ensure your visit is a good one. They have a 5-star rating on Tripadvisor! One of the reviews included the following statement: "This place seems like it's in the middle of nowhere. However, it's definitely worth stopping at as it's a hidden gem in my opinion. The owner, Angie, was so friendly and made our visit really nice. Many different menu selections. Food was really good."

If I remember correctly, the Rousseau Bar is accessible from trail 12 and/or 109 which both lead to "Interstate 3" in either Mass City or Twin Lakes. No matter where you are, its never too far to the Rousseau Bar!

Thanks everyone for the continued donations and spirited bidding on the John Dee Stimulus Project Auction. The response has truly been amazing!

Don't forget, bidding on the Heat #1 items wraps up this coming Saturday, February 6 at 6:00 p.m. EST. Heat #2 concludes the following Saturday, Feb. 13th.

Having grown up in a small town grocery store, I know that the beginning of a storm means a surge in shopping. I guess the same concept applies to auctions as well, because we have had a flurry of activity on the John Dee Stimulus Project Auction! Check it out!

Thanks to everyone who has donated and bid on items. Remember, we will be closing out the bidding on Heat #1 on Saturday, Feb. 6, at 6:00 p.m. The winning bidders will receive an automatic notification and be directed to the Givebutter site to purchase their items. Since we are rookies at this whole process, please be patient. Contact me through the auction site or through JohnDee.com if you have any questions or concerns.

Heat #2 of the auction will continue until next Saturday, Feb. 13th. We are still accepting auction items, so if you would like to donate something or better yet, know someone who would, please contact me as well. We can get new items posted within the hour (if I am not out riding the new snow). So don't hesitate to step up if you are so inclined.

Thanks again!

Hi Everyone!

There was one additional item added to the auction in honor of Kip's birthday. I will leave it at that. Check it out!

Lol.

At some point in life, experiences become more valuable than things. The newest auction item is a very unique experience near and dear to the hearts of every sledder. Through the generosity of Wyatt McIntyre (of Pat's Motor Sports fame) and the Superior Snowmobile Club, in Greenland, MI, you can experience the thrill of grooming a picturesque trail. The winning bidder gets to ride along with Wyatt to see first-hand what it takes to keep the trails smooth (only to have us riders rip them apart!).

If you haven't already done so, check out the JDSP auction, and take advantage of this opportunity to experience grooming first hand or purchase one of the many other auction items.

Thanks again!

Congratulations to the Heat #1 winning bidders! If you won an item and haven't already done so, please log onto the Givebutter donation site. Hit the Donation button and your item should show in
    the form of a ticket. Purchase the ticket and your payment will be completed. Items may be picked up directly from the donor or you can have it shipped. Just contact the donor for more details.

Thanks everyone and remember Heat #2 concludes this Saturday, February 13 at 6:00 pm EST.

Hi Everyone! We are approaching the home stretch on the John Dee Stimulus Project Auction. Bidding on the remaining items will officially end at 6:00 p.m. (EST) on Saturday, February 13th.  However, keep in mind that with the automatic extension bidding, any bid received within 10 minutes of the closing time will automatically extend the bidding for that item by 10 minutes. Therefore, the bidding can continue until the last bid has stood for at least 10 minutes. This ending should be fun to watch, especially with the vintage sled. I do believe there may be some bidders hiding the weeds for this item in particular. Winning bidders will receive an email with instructions, but in short the winning bidders are directed to the Givebutter donation site to complete their purchases. Simply click on the Donation button to purchase a ticket corresponding to the item you purchased.

Delivery instructions are included with the description items, but if you have any questions at all, please contact the donor directly, or let me know and I will help with the details. We ask that you complete the purchase within 48 hours of the close of the auction. The process should be fairly clear, and the Heat #1 winners already worked out any bugs, so hopefully this all goes smoothly. (Please be patient, we are not professional fundraisers!)

Thanks again to everyone who donated or bid on the auction items. When we started out the auction, we set a target of raising $5,000. This goal seemed high, but achievable. Well, we blew past that goal and are on our way to raising $9,000 on the auction alone! That is truly remarkable, and speaks volumes about the sledding community associated with this effort. Thank you all so much! One last plug in that it is still not too late to add items to the auction. So if you are interested in donating something, or know someone who would, please PM me or contact me through the auction site.

- bayfly

Holy crap! The auction ends in less than 2 hours and things are heating up. The auction total just exceeded $11,000! Check it out https://airauctioneer.com/john-dee-stimulus-project-auction
    Thanks everyone!

Unbelievable! The auction just concluded and the proceeds exceeded $14,000!!!

Thank you to everyone who donated, bid, and/or helped publicize this event. The end total far exceeded our wildest dreams. Simply awesome!

Tickets will be set up on the Givebutter donation site as soon as we are able to get this done. Please be patient, we should have everything posted in the morning so winners can just log onto Givebutter, hit Donation, and select/pay for your item.

Winning bidders please note that the item tickets are now available on the Givebutter donation site. Unless you have made other payment arrangements, please purchase your items by clicking the Donation button and selecting your item(s). Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in any way. Thanks!
    Last edited by bayfly; 02-14-2021 at 04:58 PM.

bayfly, nice work and great work to all who have helped make this happen!