Results 1 to 34 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Snowless MN
    Posts
    89

    Default New 600 e-tec reliability

    Been looking at getting a 2020/21 ski doo 600 e-tec next fall. Have run Yamaha 4 strokes for the last decade. I donít ride a ton just want something to tool around and go out to the fish house. Iím old. Looking at a 137Ē. How are those motors for reliability? Im not very mechanical so fixing issues is not my thing. I worry that it will melt down and then it will cost me bunches to fix. Any insight others can offer?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mnuser View Post
    Been looking at getting a 2020/21 ski doo 600 e-tec next fall. Have run Yamaha 4 strokes for the last decade. I don’t ride a ton just want something to tool around and go out to the fish house. I’m old. Looking at a 137”. How are those motors for reliability? Im not very mechanical so fixing issues is not my thing. I worry that it will melt down and then it will cost me bunches to fix. Any insight others can offer?
    600 Etecs are the utmost reliable. Stellar fuel economy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,306

    Default

    Have you looked in to the new 600 efi sports ? Sounds like it may be all you need and a lot less $$$ to boot .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Snowless MN
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    Have you looked in to the new 600 efi sports ? Sounds like it may be all you need and a lot less $$$ to boot .
    I have not. How different is it from the Ski Doo 600 e-tec? I like the idea of saving money a lot!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Northern IL & East Shore Rd.
    Posts
    436

    Default

    600 etec could be considered most reliable 2 stroke ever . I have a 2010 that runs as good as the day I bought it new

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Snowless MN
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gogebic_sledder View Post
    600 etec could be considered most reliable 2 stroke ever . I have a 2010 that runs as good as the day I bought it new
    That is what I like to hear. I'm leaning toward that sled and I will look at the EFI version as well. I see the EFI is 85 HP vs. the 125 HP of the e-tec. I would guess I would put 300-400 miles a winter at max.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Live in St. Germain/ work McHenry il
    Posts
    166

    Default

    I have a19 600r and it has been rock solid. I have about 5500 miles on it. But as poster above said for what you want to the new 600 efi would be perfect plus about $3000 less.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Used to hear people mention something about crank bearings not getting lubricated on the doo's - isoflex on bearings doesn't last or something like that - is that an internet myth?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Used to hear people mention something about crank bearings not getting lubricated on the doo's - isoflex on bearings doesn't last or something like that - is that an internet myth?
    No it is a reality with e tec .
    600s have a better rep than the 800s .
    Now the most reliable 600 ever is laughable to say the least but a solid motor .
    If looking at the doo I really would look at the new sports for what you are using it for . A bud got one recently for his wife I was impressed with it . Would I buy it for me . No but would I buy it for a wife/friend/, backup sled for sure

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Used to hear people mention something about crank bearings not getting lubricated on the doo's - isoflex on bearings doesn't last or something like that - is that an internet myth?
    I've had 0 problems with the Iso-Flex lubed bearings. 4 sleds 10K + to 14K + untouched miles. Many friends with Doo's also the same. If in doubt Fett Bros sold a relube kit?

    [COLOR="silver"]- - - Updated - - -[/COLOR]

    Quote Originally Posted by hermie View Post
    I have a19 600r and it has been rock solid. I have about 5500 miles on it. But as poster above said for what you want to the new 600 efi would be perfect plus about $3000 less.
    I agree, the 2nd Gen 600R Etec is a fantastic engine. Hard to believe they could improve on the 1st Gen Etec, but did. 600 Etec's are said to be the most widely sold sled engine as they are used in so many applications. Per Snow Tech?
    Last edited by old abe; 02-23-2021 at 08:38 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watersmeet
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    Used to hear people mention something about crank bearings not getting lubricated on the doo's - isoflex on bearings doesn't last or something like that - is that an internet myth?
    I have put at least 3 etech 600’s over 10,000 miles with no bearing problems. I think what you heard was what everyone thought was going to be a problem. First etech I owned was 09 and at 7950 miles 4 years old had engine pull apart being a 2-stroke and there was nothing wrong inside. Did have it rebuilt because it was apart but that is the last one I’ve had apart still have a 2013 with over 11,000 and have no fear of running it on long rides.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    I have put at least 3 etech 600’s over 10,000 miles with no bearing problems. I think what you heard was what everyone thought was going to be a problem. First etech I owned was 09 and at 7950 miles 4 years old had engine pull apart being a 2-stroke and there was nothing wrong inside. Did have it rebuilt because it was apart but that is the last one I’ve had apart still have a 2013 with over 11,000 and have no fear of running it on long rides.
    Agree, I know of 2 guys in the UP who put 18K plus on their 600 SDI's. None of my riding friends have had any failures with their 600 Etech's. Many of them with big miles. Doo sells way too many snowmobiles, for many years to have a problem such as this. The Iso-Flex lubed Rotax engines have been in Doo sleds for 22 years now.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Snowless MN
    Posts
    89

    Default

    Thanks folks. I think I will look into a new e-tec in the Fall. Given how much use it will get it will be a perfect buy for some lucky sole in the future. I can retire in 4 years so maybe then it will get more use. I live really close to the trail in MN so if I find a couple other "old" guys to join me maybe I will ride more. I had a Nytro a couple years ago and hit an ice heave on it and rolled it and tore my bicep from the bone and had to have surgery. No more super, heavy sleds for me. That thing was a beast to get back on the track with one bum arm.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    You won't be disappointed.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Sounds like there's a reason they sell so many of them.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern WI
    Posts
    176

    Default

    My 2012 GSX 600etec just went down Sunday with what seems to be catastrophic engine failure. Around 5K miles. Won't know the culprit until I get it diagnosed but my first guess is isoflex related.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    My 2012 GSX 600etec just went down Sunday with what seems to be catastrophic engine failure. Around 5K miles. Won't know the culprit until I get it diagnosed but my first guess is isoflex related.
    Perhaps so? However I doubt it, as the Etech's get no fuel into the crankcase, as being Direct Injection. Please recap on the actual cause?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    putnam county ohio
    Posts
    336

    Default

    some get lucky with no preventative maintenance to the crank bearings, we've been adding isoflex grease with special tooling we made to add some grease every 4000 miles or whatever suits the owner, never have had any failures on many many motors we've done, definately let us know what they find

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by toddspolaris View Post
    some get lucky with no preventative maintenance to the crank bearings, we've been adding isoflex grease with special tooling we made to add some grease every 4000 miles or whatever suits the owner, never have had any failures on many many motors we've done, definately let us know what they find
    No problem with what you're doing. Other dealers also did this on the big bore 800 carb engines. As the 800's were the engines where most all of the Iso-Flex lubed crank bearing failure/issue occurred.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    close to the edge.
    Posts
    8,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    My 2012 GSX 600etec just went down Sunday with what seems to be catastrophic engine failure. Around 5K miles. Won't know the culprit until I get it diagnosed but my first guess is isoflex related.
    That is impossible e tec are the best most reliable ever lmfao.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mosinee, WI
    Posts
    166

    Default

    Have had several 600 Etec's since they came out.... all of them have been flawless with the exception of an '09 that had an issue with coil packs sending the sled into limp mode early on... eventually was traced to a bad batch of coils in '09.... Put lots of miles on these engines over the years, and yes, they are probably one of the best out there, smooth running, great gas and oil usage, start easy in all temps, no smoke and reliable....

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by renegade600 View Post
    Have had several 600 Etec's since they came out.... all of them have been flawless with the exception of an '09 that had an issue with coil packs sending the sled into limp mode early on... eventually was traced to a bad batch of coils in '09.... Put lots of miles on these engines over the years, and yes, they are probably one of the best out there, smooth running, great gas and oil usage, start easy in all temps, no smoke and reliable....
    The 09's, the first year of the Etech, did have some high frequency/pressure direct injection injector issues. That is the "heart" of the Etech DI system. Doo took care of all of them.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezra View Post
    That is impossible e tec are the best most reliable ever lmfao.
    Ah, I can't help LOL at some good sarcasum seemingly to have wishful hope of catastrophic engine failure due to iso-flex lube? History doesn't support your theory with the 600 Etecs. Not even the the Internet BS'ers. How many do you personally know of Doo 600 Etecs with this occurring? I'm just curious as to the amount of these such engines sold by Doo/Lynx in the past 12 years. Hmmmm, no ezra?
    Last edited by old abe; 02-28-2021 at 09:50 AM.

  24. #24

    Default

    This guy has 2 2015 600s and rides way up north in Yellowknife and put nearly 11,000miles on with no real issues. His YT channel is below.

    https://www.youtube.com/c/ykadventures

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    Oregon WI
    Posts
    2

    Default

    We have 4 600 etec renegades in our family fleet, from 2009 to 2019. None have left us stranded ever. Wisconsin, Michigan, S Dakota, and Wyoming miles on all of them. No serious issues. Just oil, plugs every few years, and chain case maintenance. I am a old guy too, and next sled will be a Renegade Enduro with 600r, air ride, and heated seat. Two of my buddies are in love with theirs.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Merrill,Wi - Mass City,Mi weekends
    Posts
    652

    Default

    If you get a 900 you don't have to worry about anything, including speed with the new turbo R they should make you
    have a Pilots License to drive one. The 900 na is gas and go just like a Yamaha 4 stroke.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by longtrack View Post
    If you get a 900 you don't have to worry about anything, including speed with the new turbo R they should make you
    have a Pilots License to drive one. The 900 na is gas and go just like a Yamaha 4 stroke.
    Our 900NA has over 9K miles and has been perfect. Love it for the tight twisty trails, and a long haul, high miles Canadian trip. Clutched it to our liking, turning 7600, and 20 mpg's no matter how you ride it. The 900T's have amazing performance, and mpg's. Will be looking into the new 900T low boost, 130hp.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern WI
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    Perhaps so? However I doubt it, as the Etech's get no fuel into the crankcase, as being Direct Injection. Please recap on the actual cause?
    Just got it back from the dealer. Crank bearing and some residual damage.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    Just got it back from the dealer. Crank bearing and some residual damage.
    Under warranty what did the say was the cause? Oiling failure? How did they fix it? Actual cause of failure?

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern WI
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by old abe View Post
    Under warranty what did the say was the cause? Oiling failure? How did they fix it? Actual cause of failure?
    Under warranty? Read post 16 and 17. The cause was a failed (isoflex) bearing. They fixed it by replacing the bearing.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    Under warranty? Read post 16 and 17. The cause was a failed (isoflex) bearing. They fixed it by replacing the bearing.
    I didn't say it "could not happen". How many miles on it when it happened? These failures are extremely far and few between, otherwise Doo would not sell so many of these? 600 Etec is said to be the most widely sold engine in the business ever since its arrival? Good luck to you on the repair giving you the best!

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Too far from the snow
    Posts
    3,244

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    Under warranty? Read post 16 and 17. The cause was a failed (isoflex) bearing. They fixed it by replacing the bearing.
    What else needed to get replaced as a result?

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Northern WI
    Posts
    176

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
    What else needed to get replaced as a result?
    1 piston, sleeve, connecting rod, etc.. Did both while we were at it.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Ptown, Ill
    Posts
    3,848

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ddhanna View Post
    1 piston, sleeve, connecting rod, etc.. Did both while we were at it.
    Seems to be somewhat very strange to "sleeve" a Etech? Just one side? Something doesn't seem right here, rebuilt cylinder would be more like it. Seems as BS all the way!
    Last edited by old abe; 05-14-2021 at 10:07 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» August 2021

S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31 1234

» Stats

Members: 20,412
Threads: 29,652
Posts: 350,818

» Online Users: 88

1 members and 87 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0