Default first bear of 2021

for those of you that know me and bears and have enjoyed my post on them

well last night I had my first bear here this yr, a young male, that I helped raise(1 of 3 cubs I had that yr)

this one was an orphaned cub from back in May of 2019 ( the other two I got in Nov of 2019, when there mother got hit by a vehicle a a couple miles from me, and I went and got the two cubs!
    and she(there mother) was a bear I actually raised back in like 2012 or so, she had 6 different cubs over the yrs)
    any how,
    he was last here in late Dec. and then gather he slept a little over the winter and coldest times!

but last two days here have been super warm(broke all time standing high record yesterday 74 degree's)
    so guessing the heat wave and sunshine must have stirred him up and got him walking about!

some hoe he managed to get past 7 trail camera's I have on my property and ended up on my deck last night licking up sun flower seeds birds dropped!
    then sat at my door for a few hours watching the back yard

its always good for me to see bears I helped raise, and pretty amazing to em, how they never forget me, and how things went when smaller

Over the decades I have helped a lot of bears, and still have some that are 15+ yrs old, that even ever in my area, will stop by for a visit, hang out and just relax here
    then away they go, some time don't see them for months or even years
    but when they are about, they all come by like they were never gone!!

so will see if he stops by tonight
    way too early for bears to be out and about, as food isn;'t that plentiful, so odds are bird feeders in area will be getting some attention early this yr LOL
    Local gun clubs corn field and other food plots will be getting hit harder now too!
    Last edited by mrbb; 03-12-2021 at 04:54 PM.

Man, that is hard to try to read...I only opened it because I misread it as "beer"

Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    Man, that is hard to try to read...I only opened it because I misread it as "beer" ""
    NOT sure why all that crap was added to thing, seems to happen here some times, , if I open to edit, and do NOTHING< it seems to resolve things?? sorry, no clue why, hope above is better now for others?

Quote Originally Posted by buddah2 View Post
    Man, that is hard to try to read...I only opened it because I misread it as "beer"
    I was kind of thinking the same, I was wondering if I had to get myself one of those “private eye” mail order enigma kits to decode it...LOL
    It is a good story though, once you get through the “firewall” for a better term

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I was kind of thinking the same, I was wondering if I had to get myself one of those “private eye” mail order enigma kits to decode it...LOL
    It is a good story though, once you get through the “firewall” for a better term
    Wow a miracle has happened, I went back up to it and it’s been decoded back to normalcy

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Asking for a friend....how do you tell them apart assuming we're talking Black Bears?

I always love reading these bear stories, it’s an interesting angle on this website, I think we can officially proclaim MRBB as the “bear whisperer” from now on...HAHA

well after you spend enough time with them as I do, you   develop a higher attention to detail on them, and start notice differences in them, and then  some times you get  real lucky and they have features that stand out,(different colors, shapes and build,  injuries, scars and likes!
    making them easier to ID
     then bears like people,  they all have there own personalities   and attitudes they give off!

I know most would find this hard to believe or maybe even imagine
     but there NOT all the same
     think like a Black lab, or other such animal, many may look the same, or even a LOT alike, but they all don;t behave or interact the same ways, learn, or  likes!

some will eat some things others won't, which I always find funny, some just won't eat certain things and others cannot get enough of the same thing! even cubs of the same litter , its interesting or has been for me for 40 yrs or so now!

I an also ID some by how  they go about eating things, looking for things to eat!
      one thing most folks never understand or believe is how gentile bears are when there eating(not competing for same meal that is)
     they eat in very small bites and slow, nothing a like a dog does! 
     Bears seem to want to enjoy every flavor they can in every bite!

another thing I have learned from decades with them, is they will also, have there own area's of my yard they prefer to be in!, be it sleeping, hanging out, or likes!!

I have to admit the bears I have  I helped raise, are the easiest to ID for me  when it comes to how they hang out here!

Then there are the  ones that have gotten ear tags(they be super easy  to ID with ID tags on ears, but they some times loose them, which then helps in other ways as you get scar's from tags being torn out and such!

But cubs I raised, due to  I had hands on with them for weeks or months at a time,  tend to be easy for me as well, as 

They will still come up and greet my like a dog would,  when there passing thru here!
    so that's helps me get a better view of them LOL
    as they will come right to me ,  smell me over, and enjoy a pat on the head or something simple, or some times I think they just want em to see them to know there still about!

I do my best to not spend much time allowing them to be humanized or close to me or others, as it just doesn;'t do them any good to loose all fear of humans
     but  raising cubs, there is not an option at times, so,
     it just part of the deal!

SO, that's pretty much how I ID them,
    I have mixed a few up at times, but most after I help them along, they move off to there own new home range, some times I learn of there passing , be it from hunters, or car hits or, sadly, being poached!

I try not to dig too deep into finding out where some end up, just rather not know, to be honest,
    I am not against hunting of them legally,
     heck, to be honest I feel its extremely important for them to be hunted, to keep them as they should be wild, and scared of us humans!

but after raising some , or knowing some for so long, (they can live to be 30 yrs old)  its hard swallow some times when you   loose them too! ,

like  many things in life, come with a  doubled edged sword of sorts!

Really enjoy your posts mrbb! Please keep us up to date.

Real cool life lived .

thanks, glad you enjoy the stories info then!

Little guy was back last night but didn't stay long, too windy (40-50+ mph winds), winds make them very nervous, so they tend to hide more in windy days!

got cold again last night too, back into low 20's and high of 40 today!
     he might even go back sleep for a while  if it stays cold!

This is a good read. I have only seen a few Black Bears in the wild, but they sure are fun to see!

Had my second bear this spring show up , one of my other orphans from 2 yrs ago
    here he is hanging out, outside my door on my deck, hoping to see me!

WGI_0056.jpgWGI_0061.jpgWGI_0065.jpgWGI_0186.jpgWGI_0202.jpg

I think he is smiling at you in pic #4

haha they do smile at me, but sadly, I never knew he was at the door, my buzzer that normally lets me know something is at the door wasn't working, so I missed the poor guy, both times he came by that day!

so, he was a just looking and hoping I'd show up! at door
    I'm sure he will be back again some time, and I got my alarm working again, so, next time, I'll get to say hi back to him or others!

well my poor little guy was here last night , but again I missed him,as I was sleeping when eh showed up
    he sat for about an hour hopping to see me, before moving off

I know he will be back again, they always do if there alive any how!

they never forget, they have impressiveWGI_0034.jpgWGI_0042.jpgWGI_0043.jpgWGI_0046.jpgWGI_0053.jpg memories!

You need to teach them how to ring the door bell.

well to be honest I don't have any door bells any more
    due to they used to stand up and lean on them and ring it all the time, and drove me nuts
    I also have to keep doors locked at all times as they also know how to turn a door knob and open them, as I said, bears are pretty smart critters
    they learn by watching, even when you don;t think they are, they will watch and repeat things you do

and since yesterday was Easter, the little male orphan showed up and I got to say HI this time and even gave him a little Easter treat
    he was rather happy with it too!
    was his first Bunny I bet he ever had! Too! HAHA!

I don't recommend anyone feeding bears too by the way, but, there better off fending for themselves!

however since I raised this one more or less,and its not a normal situation with me and bears, I will break the rule on rare occasions after they are on there own!

sorry on upside down pic, not sure WHY and don't know how to fix< if anyone does and can, please feel free to do so!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow... very cool Life you're having , I had a buddy growing up that his Dad took in a orphan deer (his dad is a veterinarian) we could go in and feed him which was cool so I couldn't imagine a Beer , please keep us updated and Thanks !

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbb View Post
    sorry on upside down pic, not sure WHY and don't know how to fix< if anyone does and can, please feel free to do so!
    bears.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

bears.jpg

thanks for fixing the pic upright!

and I have also raised some deer fawns as well as countless other  critters over the the yrs

Bears just have been something I have  been fascinated with I guess the most, 40 yrs or so been working with them and still find  then interesting and unique , they all have there different personalities its seen's,
    and  the fact many live as long as they do, has allowed me to see so many differences  in them as time passes

deer and smaller critters here just don't seem to live so long, between hunting, vehicles and just nature, its a lot harder to track them over time for me here

I have had some make it a 7-8 yrs, but not many get past that
     bears however I have had many for 15-16+ yrs
     However I do have to admit that the recent hunting season changes for bears here has put a BIG dent in my regulars, used to loose maybe 2-3 a yr , and since the new seasons last 2 yrs, been loosing like 
    8-9 a yr now  to hunting , but its what it is, I am NOT against hunting them, its good for them in the long run

that is as long as the state manages right, I DO fear there going too far with dates now,  going from basically 7 days of hunting to 30+ now, is a BIG jump in time allowed on them IMO

But PA, like most states have lost hunter numbers and as such, game depts have lost INCOME from lic sales,
     so there all they can to make the $$ back

sadly based on PA's  Game dept history, they been known to let things go too far before reacting to things, so for now,  only time will tell!

Pretty cool, always enjoy your bear posts and pics!
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

that's awesome!! We've seen more and more bears each year, until the neighbors did some pine forest select cutting last summer. It kicked them all out, but hoping they'll be back as the spring continues on

well I am now up to 3, two males and a female, two 2+ yr olds and a 3+ yr old, the older one I nicknamed TROUBLE MAKER, as he was also an orphaned bear and when ever he was here with other bears, he was always trying to start trouble with them, has a chip on his shoulder thinking any bear smaller than him he can bully about at will, and a over curiosity mind set, likes flipping things over like logs, trash can.s railroad ties I have in yard for no reason other then I think he likes to see if he can pick things up and or flip em over

never looking for food under things, just likes moving bigger things , that or he likes to see me put them back in place HAHA!

any how, now up o 3 for this spring time, all younger one's, none of my older one's have shown up yet, I know I lost a bunch of them to hunters last yr, but should be a few left!

The Two males here last night they brought me a jacket I left down back at a burn pile(cut down a bunch ot tree's and stacked up up to burn, since it rained yesterday, I took advantage to light pile on fire, but as day went on rains slowed, I took off my jacket and left it down back by accident, so, they brought me the jacket up and left it on my deck for me to find this morning, HAHA!
    the one orphaned male, slept on /hung out on deck for about 3.5 hours next to it.

there like my watch dogs, security system I think some days!

OH well a few pic's for you's!
    Last edited by mrbb; 04-14-2021 at 10:41 AM.

a couple more for you's ??
    this time of yr not much food about, so coming up on deck for few fallen bird seeds is a very common, as things green up with spring time, they will show up less and less often, plus mating season will kick in in a few weeks, and these two young males will be racking up some miles looking for love , , they was eye balling the little girl bear here last night, and she was keeping her distance from them, I think she could see the upcoming trouble in there eye's looking at her!
    Last edited by mrbb; 04-14-2021 at 10:41 AM.

I guess at this time of the year they only come by at night, I’m assuming you will have daytime shots in color in the future maybe, I guess I’m kind of spoiled looking at pictures from last year...ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by snomoman View Post
    I guess at this time of the year they only come by at night, I’m assuming you will have daytime shots in color in the future maybe, I guess I’m kind of spoiled looking at pictures from last year...ha ha
    well, I do get bears here in day time, not a lot, due to a lot of folks here are all on cleaning up after winter time and out and about there yards running mowers, and chain saws and such(lots of folks still not working with the corona too it seems , so ATV's are about a lot lately)
    so, bears are better off staying nocturnal, less folks see em, less they know LOL

lots of folks here Love the bears as I do, but a few don't and they like to complain to local warden(he thinks its kind of funny, as they live where bears live, so its part of life, complain all you want, bears will be here)

I also typically shut my camera off at the door in day time, due to I
    m in and out of house a lot too when weather is nice, so, no point in taking extra pic's and running battery's down more than needed!
    but here is one for you off deck cam
    I am sure there are some on cam's down back, just haven't checked them in a little bit!, maybe tomorrow I will

Thank you for the photo, looking forward to many more

well number 4 showed up last night, a 3 yr old female<br><br> <br><br> <br><br> checked other cam's but no day time pic's on any, two of my cams, were not turned on, apparently I forgot tot turn on after last time checking camera's, so, that didn;t help me any!<br><br> <br><br> <br><br> darn memory gets worse every yr I swear! LOL<br><br> <br><br> <br><br> <br><br> <br><br > <br><br> but here are a few any how
    Last edited by mrbb; 04-14-2021 at 10:43 AM.

She looks very healthy for just coming out of her winter nap.

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by katden4 View Post
    She looks very healthy for just coming out of her winter nap.

due to a lot of easy food here ( behind me is about a 100+ acres of local hunting clubs food plots , and then below them are a lot of farm fields)

So, almost all bears here have above average weights for the state, Bears here actually have it  really good, or maybe should say HAD IT, as, for past decade or so, very few club members hunted them, due to we used to only have a 3 day bears hunting season and few bought a  tag  with such short season,, NOW< we have a 30+ day bear season here, so more members and hunters in general buy a bear tag now, due to extended season  now)

so many bears going into winter above average weights, some are just plain FAT to be honest! before winter sleep!

add in
      so many mild winters anymore, ,  and most bears here tend to look pretty good coming out after sleeping thru winter! 

PA. in general , has the fattest bears in the world, when you go by age to weight, bears in PA< tend to add weight faster than any where else,  for what ever reasons, Bears in PA< get fat faster than else where LOL

a little wrestling here last night, these two were going at it from front yard to back , on deck, and away they went<br><br> then the Raccoons seemed to join in on the games of bite each other LOL

Great photos and thanks for sharing. I noticed you are using a Wildgame Innovation game camera to capture these great photos. I have this same camera but am having issues with my SD Card. Can you tell me which card you use and where did you buy it? The one I bought it shows an error message when I insert it and I was told it might not be compatible to that camera. I appreciate the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiscon1 View Post
    Great photos and thanks for sharing. I noticed you are using a Wildgame Innovation game camera to capture these great photos. I have this same camera but am having issues with my SD Card. Can you tell me which card you use and where did you buy it? The one I bought it shows an error message when I insert it and I was told it might not be compatible to that camera. I appreciate the help.
     over the past 20+ yrs I have used a lot of different brand trail camera's from high end costing one's to these lower end cheap one(te ones in pic's above I paid 40 bucks for and they came with a SD card and batteries! )

trail cams can be picky from one to another of the same brand and model,
    some times there great some times they suck, on all but the highest end models!

from my experience, with using SD cards, I have always had good luck with
    SanDisk SD class 4 Flash memory cards SDHC for camera's
    I used to only use the 4 GB ones, as I seldom ever use the video feature on camera;s and they used to be the cheapest to buy in bulk

but lately I been getting 8 GB one's for cheap off Ebay(like 2-3 bucks a card or less if I buy 5-10 at a time),
    one trick I found that has saved me a lot of problems and seems to make camera's last a lot longer is, ALWAYS use the same SD card or cards in the same camera

Typically what I do on any camera that is far from me or house, I buy 2 SD cards and dedicate them to JUST that camera, I will number the Camera and the cards to it, so not to get them confused, as I have a bunch of camera's

when you swap SD cards from one camera to another and mix them up, I have found  that many of my camera's start acting up and  don't last as long as one's I always use the same SD card in
     or SD cards in

seems mixing them causes them to get dumb at times and then camera;'s just fail faster

on these Wildgame  innovation camera's I am using now in my yard, they typically last me about 3 yrs, running 24/7/365, and many camera's get 1,000-2000 pic's a week pending location, I will also get about 15,000-20000 pictures out of a set of batteries as well, for 40 bucks they been the best camera's I found in this price range, but cannot find any more for sale, or I would buy a  few more LOL

I have had ZERO luck with any STEALTH camera, every time I buy one, they worked poorly if at all, and never lasted long before getting worse,
     every time I buy I one I swear will never buy again, , then a  yr or so later will see one on the cheap, and say, OK< maybe NOW there better, and  soon get reminded why I say NOT to buy anymore , bought one last DEC, and wish I didn;t wasted 60 bucks on it, all it does is take pic's non stop for an hour or two then stop then start all over again, get a few thousand pic's every faw days of NOTHING on 99% of them, or captures things by accident

I leave will leave it run till batteries die and then trash it
     Pic quality is also poor to the other cam's I have, its rated for higher resolution and Megapixel's , which is disappointing too, as its not as good as the cheaper camera's in pic quality even

I run Energizer lithium batteries too, which I also buy off ebay, seem to be the cheapest I can find if again buy in bulk, I can typically buy 10 or more for what local Wally world charges for 2!
     amazing how some folks can sell things so cheap? and as far as I can tell there REAL and NOT counterfeit, or they sure last a long time and  if so, I am happy~! 

well bear # 5 showed up, another female,   a 4.5 yr old one, she had 2 cubs last yr but lost both by July,(sadly I seen her kill one by accident , and not sure what happened to the other one)
    I seen her mate in Aug, and expected her to have cubs again this yr
     but it seems something went wrong there as NO cubs with her
    shoul;d have some pic;'s tomorrow for you's
     and she was here in DAY time, so should be day time pic's!

well checked camera's today, and NOT sure what happened to day time pic's as I seen the one female laying in front of camera for 20+ minutes in middle of afternoon yesterday, yet ZERO pic's of that??

guess camera is starting to go bad, , its 3+ yrs old now, and thats about when they start to fail on me??

but here are a few pic's for you of the new 5th bear a female, she has a white # 11 on her chest, and then a smaller male, you can see the BIG tick in its ear, they get loaded with them here any more, 15 yrs ago, zero ticks here but so many mild winters anymore and there now here all the time!, and then also a pic iof my NEW neighbors and there great dane they let run loose, they also don't like bears LOL

the dog was here other nit at midnight chasing bears up my tree's, dogs asking for issue if it find a bear with cubs?/ never got why folks let there dogs run wild?? feel bad for the dog and poor parents for it!

and then will throw this in in case anyone caress to see
    but used to have a large cherry tree next to a small food plot where this cam sits
    the Cherry tree was about a 100 yrs old and over the past decade been dying, the pines behind it grew too tall I think and didn;t allow enough sun light to get to it
    and it slowly died on me , and by the time I noticed it, it was already too far into its system to save it or might have tried topping the pines to save it/get it more sun light!

any how, I decided it was time to knock it down before it falls the wrong way and kills other fruit tree's there, so 2 weeks ago, I knocked it down, and build a big pile and then during a rain storm light it on fire, today I decided to try and dig it out with the skid steer, have a cheapo stiff arm backhoe attachment and , tell you what its been a great attachment to have, if you own a skid steer for doing odds and ends about a property, there worth having , !
    half the time I don;'t even hook up the hydraulics's just use it using tilt on bucket to dig and it digs, as a LIGHT duty digger great for smaller projects!

so, after digging out stump, I graded things a little, as have a bunch of dirt/top soil coming over next month or so, and will be making a new food plot where tree was, or should say will be making the old one there new and larger , never enough food plot for all the critters here they keep them mowed pretty good on me!
    also a turkey to see the stump better
    Last edited by mrbb; 04-24-2021 at 10:23 PM.