Default Arctic Cat oil change question

I was hoping to complete an oil change on my 2018 Xf9000 Cross Country this weekend. I am having trouble removing the oil drain plug. It appears that a 3/16 Allen wrench would work but that does not seem like an exact fit. As usual what seemed like a fairly easy DIY has me stumped. Any advice on how to remove that plug or where to find the answer would be most appreciated. Thanks!

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Make sure it's not a Star Bit/Torx. An Allen will fit but it will be a lose fit as you describe.

torx.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by gary_in_neenah View Post
    Make sure it's not a Star Bit/Torx. An Allen will fit but it will be a lose fit as you describe.

torx.jpg
    Or possibly a "metric allen"?

Thanks Gary, but every T25 bit I own looks like it's a Star Bit/Torx. What distinguishes the T25 bit that I need from the Star Bit/Torx that I should not use?

torx.jpg

Neenah, Wisconsin is about 40 miles south of Green Bay's Lambeau Field.

Sorry, I was referring to the plug not the bit. Check to see if it's a Torx head on the plug. If so, then select the correct size and go at it.

IMG_1790.jpgThe head on the plug looks like an Allen wrench should work. I can't seem to find the exact match and don't want to strip it. It's not a standard torx head that I can tell. That would be too easy I guess.

Sorry, I was referring to the plug not the bit. Check to see if it's a Torx head on the plug. If so, then select the correct size and go at it.
    Last edited by bayfly; 03-28-2021 at 01:02 PM.

Like old abe said, they make std and metric allens

What if you took a 1/4" allen and ground/filed down to fit ?

Those Allen bit sets, std or metric, can’t be that expensive. The wrench set I have came with both.

I am fine if it's an Allen wrench that's needed. I was hoping to confirm this and the exact size if anyone had experience changing the oil on this motor. I may just not have the right size although I have tried every standard and metric size I have. My concern is that there is some oddball tool needed to remove this plug. Thanks!

That looks to small to be a drain plug ? I would expect it to be metric

Whatever it is torx/Allen it's most likely metric. It is probably in the factory tool pouch. And there could be something wrong with the bolt. Cats quality control is not the best.. I know I've owned several new cats . The last instance was a blown belt on a 2017? Four stroke a month ago when tut o pull the bolt out of secondary to turn the puck around,out of 3 arcticcat took pouches none of the wrenches for that bolt fit properly,had to wait for vise grips.

LOL
    maybe Order a spare to have on hand, never a bad idea, there like what 12 bucks??
    and I would be sure to go really easy when reinstalling it as most don't take much Torque to strip things!

also, your going to want a new crush washer too, so ordering a new plug and washers to have as back up again, never a bad idea!
    and then you can fit the correct Allen on a bench rather than trying to fit into plug on sled!

Does it have the Yamaha turbo engine in it?

Yes it has the Yamaha turbo.

That plug is a metric Allen. Should be located next to the oil filter. It just drains the crank case. Approximately a little more than a cup of oil. The main tank has a metric bolt. I believe 14mm. I have a 2019 SW. Have changed the oil numerous times.

Thank you!!!

Who did the 500 mile oil change on it? Days Powersports had a Hayday with my 2017 Thundercat because the bolt was flawed from factory.

Ken's Sports did the 500 mile and the oil change after last season.  They didn't have any issues with either one. But they didn't have me or my tools to work with.  I don't think there is any issue with the engine itself, just my lack of experience.  Everything I read was that this was going to be easier than changing the oil on my previous sled (XF1100 turbo), and it should be if I can get past this problem.  I did order a replacement plug and will size it up before the next try.  It is a metric Allen head so it should be pretty straightforward from here (I hope).