Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mokena, IL/Spread Eagle, WI
    Posts
    1,330

    Default closed thread question

    I"m asking the moderators only because I don't understand, not to be a wise guy.

    The vaccine thread was closed since there was a comment about violence. I didn't read that post so maybe it was deleted?? If so, could the post be deleted without locking the entire thread? I actually thought there was some good debate about the topic without getting nasty or even political (rule breaker). Maybe I missed something. Just looking for a clarification. Thank you.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    South Central Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    I"m asking the moderators only because I don't understand, not to be a wise guy.

    The vaccine thread was closed since there was a comment about violence. I didn't read that post so maybe it was deleted?? If so, could the post be deleted without locking the entire thread? I actually thought there was some good debate about the topic without getting nasty or even political (rule breaker). Maybe I missed something. Just looking for a clarification. Thank you.
    There was no need to close the thread, the two posts were deleted, he could have left it that way.
    Lake Effect Snow, my three favorite words.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Door County WI/San Diego
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    I closed it because it was getting nasty, argumentative, and out of bounds. No skin off my butt if John wants to reopen it.

    Also, after three pages it was repetitive and tired, and when that happens it usually devolves into animosity and/or politics.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skylar View Post
    There was no need to close the thread, the two posts were deleted, he could have left it that way.
    More than two. Two of mine were deleted, neither of which advocated violence, and at least one of Lenny's, which did not advocate violence either. Sign of the times, I guess, when somebody disagrees with what you say. Sad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mokena, IL/Spread Eagle, WI
    Posts
    1,330

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russholio View Post
    More than two. Two of mine were deleted, neither of which advocated violence, and at least one of Lenny's, which did not advocate violence either. Sign of the times, I guess, when somebody disagrees with what you say. Sad.
    Are you suggesting we are being censored based on opinions put out there as apposed to violating JD rules? We do have to follow the rules, but if we are and still having posts deleted due to differing opinions then we have something to talk about. I do agree that some things were starting to be repeated however in the world we live in this subject is just beginning. I have been impressed with the civility in the vaccine thread. Maybe because I wasn't able to read the deleted posts???

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dfattack View Post
    Are you suggesting we are being censored based on opinions put out there as apposed to violating JD rules? We do have to follow the rules, but if we are and still having posts deleted due to differing opinions then we have something to talk about. I do agree that some things were starting to be repeated however in the world we live in this subject is just beginning. I have been impressed with the civility in the vaccine thread. Maybe because I wasn't able to read the deleted posts???
    The stated reason for the thread being locked was because "we don't advocate violence", and at least three posts were deleted, none of which advocated violence. I don't know what may have been posted after my last (deleted) post, as a couple hours elapsed from then until I returned and found it locked. Draw your conclusions as you see fit.

    I do agree that things were getting rehashed and repetitive, but like you I thought it was pretty civil. I've seen far worse.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    above ground
    Posts
    658

    Default

    The end of times as we know it are upon us.
    Go ahead and censor, but this is where we are headed.
    Has nothing to do with any political party, this is world wide.

    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ational-travel

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,949

    Default

    I'll look into things and see if the thread can be returned without any posts that broke the rules.

    -John

  9. #9
    lenny Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dcsnomo View Post
    I closed it because it was getting nasty, argumentative, and out of bounds. No skin off my butt if John wants to reopen it.

    Also, after three pages it was repetitive and tired, and when that happens it usually devolves into animosity and/or politics.

    Bruce, me suggesting that we buy more ammo is a clichť,,,,to be prepared. Buying more ammo is smart and does not advocate violence in any way shape or form. The Constitution instructs us to have a well regulated militia in the case of tyranny. Do you think that the constitution is advocating violence?

    In reality, Iím shocked, and you know what, slightly offended that you could not find it in yourself to look at context rather than the fact the word ďammoĒ was written. Honestly, Iím disappointed as I expected more from you, but hey, lots of people think itís proper to shut people down, thanks for that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    597

    Default

    i was reading it every day, i didnt read anything violent
    i agree that it was amazingly civil, i for one have been keeping my violent thoughts to myself
    people have to wake up eventually right?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
    people have to wake up eventually right?
    Hopefully before it's too late.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Lakeville, MN
    Posts
    2,617

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jonesin View Post
    i was reading it every day, i didnt read anything violent
    i agree that it was amazingly civil, i for one have been keeping my violent thoughts to myself
    people have to wake up eventually right?
    Boy you would hope so.... unlike many other sites the discussion was about as civil as it could be. People need to lighten up and LISTEN more, to understand more, rather than just feeling like they have to “stick to their guns”, and that phrase has nothing to do with ammo or violence.

  13. #13
    lenny Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xcr440 View Post
    Boy you would hope so.... unlike many other sites the discussion was about as civil as it could be. People need to lighten up and LISTEN more, to understand more, rather than just feeling like they have to “stick to their guns”, and that phrase has nothing to do with ammo or violence.
    Very well said,,,,,and clever!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watersmeet
    Posts
    943

    Default

    As I don’t agree with censorship the thread that got closed was starting to go off topic and take a wrong turn there were a few posts that truly didn’t belong. I don’t know if if the people in charge contact someone when a post is removed and let them know why but maybe that would help that person understand why they were censored. Don’t know just a thought.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Waterford,WI
    Posts
    10,412

    Default

    Who cares what I think but I thought the thread was repetitive but civil. I didn’t see posts that were deleted but if they broke the rules delete them and allow the body of the thread to continue. I don’t like censorship in any form allow opinions to be heard and usually JD members agree to disagree or edge to the middle. Locking this thread seemed extreme to me because it may have taken a negative turn but not because it did break the rules seems goofy to me.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,949

    Default

    I went in and did a little cleaning up, but looks like most of the offending threads were already removed before the thread was closed. It's my opinion that the right thing was done to close the thread. It was taking a bit of a turn for the worse. Primarily by just one poster. The mod did not delete the thread, just close it, which shows a lot of respect for the powers given to them as a mod. It allowed a time out of sorts to happen and allow me to review things and take the action I saw fit.

    I agree that up until the very last few posts, everyone respected the rules of the board very well and I am grateful for that respect. I also see that in all other threads on the board.

    It is pretty clear to me as well as lots of members of the board that the vast majority that post have one kind of political ideology. I have absolutely no issue with that and respect it fully. With that said, many have also told me that they just come in to read and are afraid to post because they feel they would get "attacked". Attacked might be too strong a word and might not even be the word that most used, but it is clear that many that come to the board do not post for fear of some kind of retribution. That saddens me.

    I thing just about everyone on this board does believe that people are entitled to their opinion. I would just like to ask that maybe the replies can be toned down a bit and made more friendly. That would allow more folks to take part in the discussions.

    So to modify the Golden Rule, I ask that everyone "reply to others as they would like to be replied to"!

    Thanks!

    -John

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Thanks for the insight, John. I can only assume that since at least two of my posts were deleted, they must have broken the rules. I honestly don't see how. I'm generally a "play by the rules" guy and it's never my intent to intentionally break the rules on this forum you generously provide. If you or a mod could clarify that would be great, as I'd really like to stay out of JD jail.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russholio View Post
    Thanks for the insight, John. I can only assume that since at least two of my posts were deleted, they must have broken the rules. I honestly don't see how. I'm generally a "play by the rules" guy and it's never my intent to intentionally break the rules on this forum you generously provide. If you or a mod could clarify that would be great, as I'd really like to stay out of JD jail.
    I think yours might just have been a case of collateral damage!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hazel Park, Michigan
    Posts
    1,927

    Default

    Okay, thanks.....that makes me feel better!

  20. #20
    lenny Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by russholio View Post
    Okay, thanks.....that makes me feel better!
    FINAL POST::::::::::::::


    Because of the censorship, I’m asking to be removed from the membership. Lots of good years here but I stand on principle and will not tolerate ridiculous censorship. Thanks Bruce!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    MI
    Posts
    597

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    FINAL POST::::::::::::::


    Because of the censorship, Iím asking to be removed from the membership. Lots of good years here but I stand on principle and will not tolerate ridiculous censorship. Thanks Bruce!
    sorry to see you go lenny, it was good to have you back!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lenny View Post
    FINAL POST::::::::::::::


    Because of the censorship, I’m asking to be removed from the membership. Lots of good years here but I stand on principle and will not tolerate ridiculous censorship. Thanks Bruce!
    As we all know, there are always at least two sides to every story.

    Lenny and I had a very civil and what I thought was constructive conversation on this topic. I explained to him while the post in question did not explicitly break the rules, there are few black and white issues in this world and that his post had was in what I considered a gray area. One could see no problem with it, while another could find it had broken the rules. I also pointed out that this discussion board is privately owned and thus is not bounded by the right to free speech by visitors, but rather the right to free speech protected me to run the board as I saw fit.

    Lenny has been a friend of mine for a long time and I still consider him a friend. He has an exceptionally strong passion for what he believes in and I think that is awesome. I respect his viewpoint on the situation, but am disappointed that he has chosen not to respect my viewpoint and to say that this board contains instances of "ridiculous censorship".

    I feel that I have gone out of my way to set simple, but straightforward rules and to enforce them to the best of my ability. There have been instances when a post or thread could have been left and was not, or could have been pulled and was not. I do not pretend to be perfect in any way, shape or form.

    All the best to my friend Lenny. Hope our paths cross so we can visit and have some laughs together.

    -John

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    Didn't see the posts. Did read it from time to time. Censorship is a big issue to me. The way big tech (no not you John) can just flat shut down people they disagree with is frightening. I don't know this dcsnomo guy but I will say that someone that lives in commiefornia should probably take some extra time to consider context from the people that live in fly over country before getting on the high horse. If the word ammo makes you nervous you probably shouldn't be on a site filled with people that live in the big woods and/or rural areas. I am sad to see Lenny go. He is an OG. His heart is always in the right place. These discussion boards are a dying breed. Things like this only speed up the process. I have not seen a three pager in years. Let alone one where adults were discussing issues like adults. Sad to see it come to this.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ixonia, WI
    Posts
    767

    Default

    I think some of the problem too is that everyone's emotions are running higher lately....covid, work, other issues. I think its all compounded. Love the site though, been a follower for years. I always appreciated the personal/family aspect of it.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Byron, Il. / White Pine, Mi.
    Posts
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Didn't see the posts. Did read it from time to time. Censorship is a big issue to me. The way big tech (no not you John) can just flat shut down people they disagree with is frightening. I don't know this dcsnomo guy but I will say that someone that lives in commiefornia should probably take some extra time to consider context from the people that live in fly over country before getting on the high horse. If the word ammo makes you nervous you probably shouldn't be on a site filled with people that live in the big woods and/or rural areas. I am sad to see Lenny go. He is an OG. His heart is always in the right place. These discussion boards are a dying breed. Things like this only speed up the process. I have not seen a three pager in years. Let alone one where adults were discussing issues like adults. Sad to see it come to this.
    X2, totally agree slimcake!!

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Door County WI/San Diego
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Didn't see the posts. Did read it from time to time. Censorship is a big issue to me. The way big tech (no not you John) can just flat shut down people they disagree with is frightening. I don't know this dcsnomo guy but I will say that someone that lives in commiefornia should probably take some extra time to consider context from the people that live in fly over country before getting on the high horse. If the word ammo makes you nervous you probably shouldn't be on a site filled with people that live in the big woods and/or rural areas. I am sad to see Lenny go. He is an OG. His heart is always in the right place. These discussion boards are a dying breed. Things like this only speed up the process. I have not seen a three pager in years. Let alone one where adults were discussing issues like adults. Sad to see it come to this.
    I live in Wisconsin, vote in Wisconsin, snowmobile in the UP.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    se mn
    Posts
    2,388

    Default

    nevermind...
    Last edited by slimcake; 04-01-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: John doesn't need the headache...

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watersmeet
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by slimcake View Post
    Didn't see the posts. Did read it from time to time. Censorship is a big issue to me. The way big tech (no not you John) can just flat shut down people they disagree with is frightening. I don't know this dcsnomo guy but I will say that someone that lives in commiefornia should probably take some extra time to consider context from the people that live in fly over country before getting on the high horse. If the word ammo makes you nervous you probably shouldn't be on a site filled with people that live in the big woods and/or rural areas. I am sad to see Lenny go. He is an OG. His heart is always in the right place. These discussion boards are a dying breed. Things like this only speed up the process. I have not seen a three pager in years. Let alone one where adults were discussing issues like adults. Sad to see it come to this.
    Lenny has left the sight before so maybe he will come back again. Lenny is very passionate and sometimes that can be hard.

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Oakdale MN
    Posts
    2,277

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy600 View Post
    Lenny has left the sight before so maybe he will come back again. Lenny is very passionate and sometimes that can be hard.
    I believe lenny just went underground last time. Don't remember a "Final Post " situation. (Could be wrong, have missed posts in the past)
    Will miss you lenny. Good Luck to you in all you do.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Watersmeet
    Posts
    943

    Default

    Possibly just know anything can change, like I said before Lenny is very passionate in his beliefs and also respects others so time will tell.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    2,770

    Default

    I'm sorry to hear that one of our long time members has forgone his participation on the board. I can understand anybody's passion or standing for your principle & respect it wholeheartedly. In the same token, the intent behind the rules of the board should have been gracefully respected & taken like an adult. I certainly don't feel that ridiculous censorship exists on this board. Nonetheless, it was a choice that was made, his contributions will be missed by many including myself despite his passion. -Mezz

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    The Keweenaw Peninsula
    Posts
    4,949

    Default

    I did not coin this phrase, but it’s one I live by.

    “Comparison is the Thief of Happiness”

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    above ground
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Probably should be taken private somewhere, this is a public board.
    Anybody watching Russia/Ukraine and China/Taiwan? I said over a year ago,
    COVID is just a cover up to mask the big stuff going on. Anybody see China’s new sub?
    We’re screwed. America is too busy destroying ourselves internally to notice.
    Iran, yes Iran, has built an amazing Navy. US military equipment is......

  34. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    above ground
    Posts
    658

    Default

    China’s new sub for anybody that cares. US has a hard time building a new
    Postal delivery vehicle.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...god-submarines

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Sheboygan,Wi. Retirment home Lakewood, wi.
    Posts
    434

    Default

    Haha...ask any Gal size isent everything.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Spooner, WI
    Posts
    4,800

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by garageguy View Post
    Haha...ask any Gal size isent everything.
    They were just trying to make you feel better. LOL Just a joke.

  37. #37

    Default

    APRIL FOOL
    Just like your other posts about China and US navies.



    Quote Originally Posted by highhertel View Post
    Chinaís new sub for anybody that cares. US has a hard time building a new
    Postal delivery vehicle.

    https://www.zerohedge.com/geopolitic...god-submarines

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

» John Dee

» May 2021

S M T W T F S
252627282930 1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31 12345

» Stats

Members: 20,408
Threads: 29,564
Posts: 349,642

» Online Users: 487

16 members and 471 guests
Most users ever online was 2,946, 07-12-2019 at 01:11 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0