Hybrid View

Default My Third (and Fourth) vintage sled projects..... 1979 Polaris TXL 340 @ Centurion 500

Sometimes you have to pick up where you left off, or in my case start over with the same but different sleds. I found these local at a estate sale, parked in a barn since 1991 & 1997. Supposed to be one owner sleds. I let all my spare parts go with my last two so hopefully I don't need to hunt down too many things. I will be slow on these, but I will post updates as I make some progress.

I can't get my pictures to work so they will have to wait.

Hope you enjoy,

Kirk

https://kirksvintagepolaris.blogspot...e-polaris.html
    Last edited by kirk600; 04-25-2021 at 08:01 AM.

You’re killin’ me here Kirk. What are the odds of scoring a Centurion on an estate sale? Easily one of the most desired vintage Polaris sleds of all-time. Then to get a TXL on the deal is just icing on the cake - lucky, lucky, lucky! I’m happy for you but also extremely envious.
    Been on a couple of vintage rides with a fellow that converted a Centurion racer back to stock. That triple was one sweet running sled!
    Yeah, the board is still kind of broke in general and when it comes to posting photos/links. It can be done but it is inconsistent and frustrating. We can talk about some photo options once the board is back to normal.
    Congrats and really looking forward to seeing the process of getting these beauties back on the snow.

Thanks Kelly, I have been looking for a good project, was thinking about a ifs sled like a early Indy 500 but these kind of changed my mind for now. I couldn't believe my eyes when I went to the sale, they are both all original, and both are a better start than my last two. Should be a great little project.

Cool

I hope you can get some pics posted. I know there are some funky issues going on right now with posting pics and use of certain punctuation. I am just really curious to see these. Nice find regardless though! I will let my imagination run with it for now. -Mezz

I am also interested in following these, the first new sled that I purchased was a 1980 Centurion, it still is one of my three favorite sleds of all time, I also like following Kelly's projects as it brings back lots of old memories of riding in the 60's, 70's, and 80's

Thanks Mezz and bearrassler, I have tried multiple times to post pictures and I cannot get them to load. Might be interested to know that both motors roll over with compression, the master cylinders are both frozen, looks to even have original hyfax on both of them. Both need seats redone as they are cracked and the wood is crusty.
    I pulled the seats and tanks off today, removed the air box from the TXL. To do so I had to remove the throttle cables and caps off the carbs as there is not enough room to wiggle it out. I can not explain it, but one carb does not have the needle or clip in it! So hopefully I can find out what it takes by taking the other carb apart and get those added to my list. I tried to get some color back on the gas tanks with a heat gun, but it was not working so it looks like I will be painting them like I did on my TX.
    Last edited by kirk600; 04-22-2021 at 10:19 PM. Reason: apostrophe makes numbers appear